AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 143 Posts

·
Banned
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
FINALLY I've narrowed down my receiver choices (gonna be running a Klipsch Reference Premiere setup), to either:

A) the Yamaha Aventage A2050 or

B) the Denon X4200W

Both are the same price and pack pretty much the same features

WHICH one would have the upper hand in pure insane THEATER sound (explosions and bass and punch and all that jazz)

I will not be using this for music listening (I prefer headphones for music)

·
Premium Member
89,660 Posts
Depends. Do you like chocolate or vanilla better? Each has their pros. The A2050 is a 9CH model while the X4200W is a 7CH model that can expand to 9CH using an external 2CH amp. The A2050 only has 7.2 pre-outs whereas the X4200W has 13.2 pre-outs. Most would agree Audyssey MultEQ XT32 (down to 20Hz) does a better job at Sub EQ than does YPAO (down to 31hz).

·
Banned
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So Denon it is? I'm leaning towards it.

I've heard Yamaha receivers are very bright and in your face, and considering Klipsch speakers are also kind of high up there, won't it be better to pair them with a more neutral sounding receiver?

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
I don't think Yamaha is bright. I also don't think YPAO is as good as Audyssey.

IMO both are good brands and you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference sonically in a blind test. I switched from a Yamaha to Denon a few days ago, so far I like some things and dislike others.

·
Registered
457 Posts
I have both a Yamaha Aventage and a Denon. Both have been great. Denon has Audyssey which works great but can not be adjusted by the user as you can with the Yamaha. It does deal with bass. The Yamaha has a user adjustable parametric eq which allows you to adjust bass.

Regarding the "bright" Yamaha sound I do not buy it. After YPAO runs you can select your flavor which includes a flat setting and a natural setting. The natural setting is a bit warmer sounding than flat.

Both are good choices.

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
If you care about networking aspects and smartphone app of your avr, then yamaha wins handily over denon all day long

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
Agree, Yamaha's app is so much nicer. Denon's app is slow with less features. If you have iOS supposedly the DeRemote app is better.

·
Registered
6,640 Posts
FINALLY I've narrowed down my receiver choices (gonna be running a Klipsch Reference Premiere setup), to either:

A) the Yamaha Aventage A2050 or

B) the Denon X4200W

Both are the same price and pack pretty much the same features

WHICH one would have the upper hand in pure insane THEATER sound (explosions and bass and punch and all that jazz)

I will not be using this for music listening (I prefer headphones for music)
It really doesn't matter, both will get the job done,
For "insane explosions, and bass punch" you need a great powered sub,
...multiple subs if you can afford it.

I have a Yamaha RX-A3050, 7.4.4 configuration
But the real "power" in my room comes from 4 Velodyne subs
2400 watts(4800w Dynamic)

·
Registered
437 Posts
If you care about networking aspects and smartphone app of your avr, then yamaha wins handily over denon all day long

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
I agree 100%, no other manufacturer can touch yamaha on that. In that price range I would have to go with the yamaha. The denon is a couple notches down from the top of the line while yamaha a2050 is second to the top. Denon can't touch yamaha on exterior build quality. I had a yamaha rx a810 that was great and still regret selling it. I am still in search of finding either an a810 or a1010. If not I'll save up for a yamaha or marantz pre/pro.

I have more faith in yamaha lasting for a long time. I would say step up to the denon avr x5200 if you can. If not go with the a2050.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Yamahas 1050 and up have metal front and metal flaps whereas denons up to x4200 at least, never seen x6200 or 7200 in person, have a pretty cheap plastic front including cheaply made plastic front door. But avrs all about sound thats what matters most.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,315 Posts
If there is something lacking in a movie sound track or music, I enjoy the many DSP modes of my Yamaha. I'll start out with the native format in a straight setting, then add the DSP to compare both. You just need to find the right one. I think Yamaha does a wonderful job with this.

Reactions: mdbrown

·
Premium Member
312 Posts
I compared all of the major brands - highest model available at Best Buy.
From an apparent feel, quality point of view, the Yamaha is the best (either 2050 or 3050).
The front is all Aluminum or glass. The door closes with a soft touch.
I don't think the front panel of the Denon 4200 is objectionable. The Pioneer is the worst with a large plastic door.
The volume knob for all of the top models (Marantz, Pioneer, Yamaha) had a kind of analog feel that was also fairly firm, except the 4200 was more of a digital click feel that I don't like (6200 was not at my Best Buy).

People generally say the Yamaha is the most reliable but I haven't seen the data.

The Yamaha has more flexible Zone 2 setup than the Denon/Marantz. According the to manual, you can output analog and HDMI/digital inputs to analog preout OR output HDMI/digital and analog inputs to HDMI output, with the limitation for Zone 2 that HDMI and digital must be in 2 channel PCM, at least if duplicating the main zone. However, it will also do HDMI passthrough (I think automatically down convert to 2 channel) if you choose HDMI zone 4. These options cover my potential use cases better than Denon and Marantz do.

As mentioned, Audyssey XT32 is better out of the box (esp for sub), YPAO is more tweakable, you need PRO to have any tweakability for XT32. It is possible to fix the lack of being able to adjust sub below 31.5 Hz with some kind of sub EQ, like the MiniDSP 2x4. You need something like this anyway if you have more than two subs or non equi-distant subs.

Obviously, pay attention to how many internal amps you want and how many channels total you want. For example, 4200 can control 11 channels at one time, has 7 internal amps. 2050 can control 9 channels, has 9 internal amps. 9 channels can do max 5.2.4 or 7.2.2 Atmos but 2050 can power them all if necessary (depending on volume, etc.). 11 channel can do 7.2.4. Offloading channels to external amps or old receivers helps the power that can be provided per channel by any of these receivers.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had a Harmon/Kardon, then a Denon, and now a Yamaha RX-A2000 that I've had for about 6 years now and the Yamaha is by far the better receiver in my opinion. The Yamaha has a much warmer/fuller sound and the build quality is exceptional. I have it paired to Def Tech Mythos Ones, Mythos 8 center, and supercube 2 sub and they ROCK! The AV Controller app is also great on either Android or iOS. Once YPAO calibrates the speakers, you can tweak it to your personal taste. My next receiver will also be a Yamaha.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Ive a yamaha 3040 and its been great. Hugely flexible in terms of zones, adjustability and with Atmos. Its gives plenty of whallop and is fine for music in Pure mode. I added the matching mx-a5000 power amp and biamped the 5 speakers and that really made a difference - im sure id be compatable and that you could pick one up on ebay for half the orginal price - totally worth it. V happy with my yamaha.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Gone to Yamaha

I had several Denon before switching to Yamaha. There are two reasons why I prefer Yamaha

The online functions are much better and work well on the iPad app and pc

The ability to adjust to sound parameters is quick and easy. I'm someone who has to tweek sound for certain types of media etc. I just have to play with it and Yamaha made it easy

·
Premium Member
776 Posts
Yamaha 3050 for me. It replaced my 2020 which I just sold on eBay. Both receivers are rock solid, no issues whatever, and both sound great with the nod going to my 3050 as it has a tad more power. The iPhone iPad app is second to none.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Another vote for Yamaha.. Higher reliability than Denon..

Just my $0.02.. ;)
Yes Yamaha has better reliability and a better app. I don't know why Denon has been so slow with this. Also Yamaha seems to be the only one of the two making money.
Aren't new receivers due soon though for both?

1 - 20 of 143 Posts