AVS Forum banner

421 - 440 of 1134 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Just saw this up for preorder:
Looks like a great budget receiver for gamers in mind...am I missing anything? Would there be anything better in that price range?

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Did anyone get any high quality shots of the front of the Aventage line in the short time it was up on Amazon? I saw the rear posted.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Ok, let me try this again. I played with the brightness and contrast in Picture Manager and now you can see that it has a two-line display.
Yamaha RX-A8 front corrected 61GftgDXPmL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Thank you. To me, the Aventage line looks a bit more muscular. If you notice, the V line has the rounded left and right sides. Also, the bottom trim looks more bushed metal on the Aventage line vs the plastic on the V line.

Well, it looks like the volume buttons still has that clicky sound when pressed. How is it possible that Yamaha hasn't addressed this over the years? Who wants to hear a click when adjusting the volume on something you are engaged in?

·
Registered
729 Posts
We won't know the control operation until we get our hands on them. Nor will we know what parts of the front panel illuminate for a function. The RX-A8A photo on the left looks different than the RX-V6A.

·
Vendor
29,704 Posts
Just saw this up for preorder:
Looks like a great budget receiver for gamers in mind...am I missing anything? Would there be anything better in that price range?
Denon, Marantz, and others will have similar models in the same price range, which one is better may never be known depending if test are done.......

·
Registered
12,230 Posts
The major strength of the new 2020 Yamaha AVRs over the competition is that they will have multiple HDMI 2.1 input ports. Denon and Marantz chose to provide a single HDMI 2.1 input port, but then again how many HDMI 2.1 source components are available now or in the near future.. :rolleyes:

Just my $0.02... ;)

·
Registered
12,230 Posts
Thank you. To me, the Aventage line looks a bit more muscular. If you notice, the V line has the rounded left and right sides. Also, the bottom trim looks more bushed metal on the Aventage line vs the plastic on the V line.

Well, it looks like the volume buttons still has that clicky sound when pressed. How is it possible that Yamaha hasn't addressed this over the years? Who wants to hear a click when adjusting the volume on something you are engaged in?
Is this an audible click heard through the loudspeakers when operating the front panel volume control?
Does it also happen when operating the volume function by the remote control?
Or does it only happen with one specific source?

My 3080 is very quiet when operating the volume level either by the front panel or remote control...

Just my $0.02... ;)

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Again, as previously posted, looks and aesthetics count. If looks didn't count and only utility mattered, we would all be driving the Prius.

As for me, I like to prominently display my components. Staring at that appalling cyclops eye center volume knob plus the terribly placed offset display every time I sit in my media room will give me nightmares. My opinion of course, yours may vary which is fine.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Sorry, but that is a butt ugly design...

Reactions: Zoland2020

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Is this an audible click heard through the loudspeakers when operating the front panel volume control?
Does it also happen when operating the volume function by the remote control?
Or does it only happen with one specific source?

My 3080 is very quiet when operating the volume level either by the front panel or remote control...

Just my $0.02... ;)
I think the last one that I played with was the Yamaha RX-V2085 9.2-Ch x 140 Watts A/V Receiver (same as RX-A2080). When you depressed the volume keys, it was a noticeable click down and audible. It may not bother some, but it did me. The remote in the new RX-A series looks like the same basic design. Its different from the other AVR manufactures soft press rubber buttons with no sound.

·
Registered
12,230 Posts
I think the last one that I played with was the Yamaha RX-V2085 9.2-Ch x 140 Watts A/V Receiver (same as RX-A2080). When you depressed the volume keys, it was a noticeable click down and audible. It may not bother some, but it did me. The remote in the new RX-A series looks like the same basic design. Its different from the other AVR manufactures soft press rubber buttons with no sound.
Hmmm..
Over the last 5 months we have sold/installed 43 Yamaha AVRs and never noted this..
But then again most of our system installs, we go to a Harmony remote control for its great device library and LCD screen...

Just my $0.02.... ;)

·
Registered
729 Posts
Again, as previously posted, looks and aesthetics count. If looks didn't count and only utility mattered, we would all be driving the Prius.

As for me, I like to prominently display my components. Staring at that appalling cyclops eye center volume knob plus the terribly placed offset display every time I sit in my media room will give my nightmares. My opinion of course, yours may vary which is fine.
After staring at the pictures and reading the manual for the RX-V6A I understand the placement of the display. If you use the front panel Select/Enter knob, Return button, and Menu button the display is in front of your eyes when you stand in front of the receiver. That is why the rest of the small number of controls are in the right side. Crap! This means I would need to adjust the shelf heights and move stuff around on my Salamander Archetype to get the display and controls at eye level.:cry: And if the RX-A8A really weighs 50+ pounds... The sacrifices we make.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Hmmm..
Over the last 5 months we have sold/installed 43 Yamaha AVRs and never noted this..
But then again most of our system installs, we go to a Harmony remote control for its great device library and LCD screen...

Just my $0.02.... ;)
Thanks, good to know.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Looking at the product page for the RX-V6A it says:
  • Supports enhanced media and gaming - ALLM, VRR, QFT, QMS (with future firmware update)
I thought that HDMI 2.0b ports already supported those things and that it was just the higher bandwidth stuff that needed 2.1 (8k/60, 4k/120). If that's the case, why are these features not avail from release on the new Yamahas? And it will be interesting when that firmware actually releases, as I imagine many will hold off on a purchase until that time.

·
Premium Member
3,188 Posts
Looking at the product page for the RX-V6 it says:
  • Supports enhanced media and gaming - ALLM, VRR, QFT, QMS (with future firmware update)
I thought that HDMI 2.0b ports already supported those things and that it was just the higher bandwidth stuff that needed 2.1 (8k/60, 4k/120). If that's the case, why are these features not avail from release on the new Yamahas? And it will be interesting when that firmware actually releases, as I imagine many will hold off on a purchase until that time.
Yes, all those features can work on an 18Gbps (HDMI 2.0) port. But the AVR needs to copy the appropriate flags and info from the EDID it gets from the TV and merge it with its own EDID. Perhaps this is what's not ready yet and needs a firmware update.

·
Registered
550 Posts
On the RXA1080 the remote control doesn't make a clicking sound when pressing the volume 'up' button, but it does make a tiny clicking sound when pressing the volume 'down' button.
Looking at the remote, as the down button is depressed and the 'up button is raised, I would assume that the designers would be doing this on purpose to easily enable the users to identify what button is what, in a dark cinema.
Not only do they offer a different 'feel', but they also delineate themselves by having a slight sound.
Now you could argue that the tiny clicking noise may pull you out of a movie... but I believe to even attempt to make that argument you'd be pulling your string back a long way on the bow.
Heck, I had not noticed / cared about it whatsoever on a Yamaha AVR - ever.
Nor had I read of anyone noticing it.
I can only assume the designer would be happy that someone finally cares enough about their choice to make mention of it?

For the record, I quite like the remote, but I also prefer multi-function remotes from the likes of ElanG and Logitech over having to pick up numerous remote controls to drive my AV gear.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Looking at the product page for the RX-V6A it says:
because THEY need a reason to sell a new AVR every year ! plain and simple !

421 - 440 of 1134 Posts