AVS Forum banner

741 - 760 of 853 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Did you order online? When I go online, it cannot find it.
I am assuming they ran out of stock? Was available earlier this morning.

What was the reason for switching from the RX-V6A to the TSR-700?
Price. From what I can see they are the exact same hardware, but I paid $599 at Best Buy for the V6A, and $399 for the 700 from Costco.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
I am assuming they ran out of stock? Was available earlier this morning.

Price. From what I can see they are the exact same hardware, but I paid $599 at Best Buy for the V6A, and $399 for the 700 from Costco.
That's awesome!

·
Premium Member
163 Posts
It appears the TSR-700 is the exact same as the RX-V6A. According to Yamaha they even share the same firmware. I ordered the TSR-700 from Costco, will be returning my V6A to Best Buy.

View attachment 3046492
Im jealous. By the time I saw that they had posted it, it was already gone. Hopefully they repost or my local Costco gets them in. Have two weeks left in my return window so I’m hoping I can snag one prior to it closing.

·
Premium Member
163 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Would the TSR-700/RX-V6A be a step up, a step down, or really a push from my Denon X2200W? I'm only driving a 3.1 speaker setup in an open living room, with a vaulted ceiling, but I do plan to get an Xbox Series X and an HDMI 2.1 compatible TV by the end of the year...

·
Registered
170 Posts
I was able to grab the TSR-700 and am very excited to be upgrading from my old 2013 Denon. Can you point me in the directions of good setup instructions for a new owner?

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
The AVR-X2200W arguably has better room correction with Audyssey XT, but YPAO RSC Multipoint actually closes the gap from previous models.
The modern features of the new Yamaha beats the older Denon in pretty much every other fashion.
HDCP+HDMI support for 8K and gaming features, Wifi and bluetooth versions, bluetooth transmission, MusicCast, newer Atmos and other virtual support, etc, etc
With that said, your setup may not take advantage of any of that until you get the new Xbox and TV.

You may want to watch the stock of the TSR-700 as I'd expect demand to outstrip supply.

Would the TSR-700/RX-V6A be a step up, a step down, or really a push from my Denon X2200W? I'm only driving a 3.1 speaker setup in an open living room, with a vaulted ceiling, but I do plan to get an Xbox Series X and an HDMI 2.1 compatible TV by the end of the year...

·
Registered
593 Posts
I got a Denon 750H but had to return it due to HDMI audio dropout issues when connected to my Tivo DVR.

Got the Yamaha V6A from Best Buy yesterday. Haven't set it up yet.

Has anyone set theirs up yet? How does it sound? How would it sound compared to the Denon I just returned? The Yamaha seems like it's 100 watts per channel between 20Hz - 20 KHz, compared to 75 Watts for the Denon.

Should that also mean that some things at a similar volume, should sound better?

·
Vendor
27,562 Posts
Anyone have any new news on the Aventage release dates or new info?

I see that yamaha has added a couple of the new basic V models to their website but its crickets on the receivers with decent power amps. I'm concerned with getting a receiver that will be at least as powerful as my RX-V3800 without spending over 1K or more.
Ya you might want to open that pocket book wider. Odds are lower end Aventage receivers may not be rated as high but take you where you would like to go.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I got a Denon 750H but had to return it due to HDMI audio dropout issues when connected to my Tivo DVR.

Has anyone set theirs up yet? How does it sound? How would it sound compared to the Denon I just returned? The Yamaha seems like it's 100 watts per channel between 20Hz - 20 KHz, compared to 75 Watts for the Denon.

Should that also mean that some things at a similar volume, should sound better?
I actually just did the exact same swap (the Denon had a persistent issue with volume getting massively boosted when switching among certain inputs). The V6A sounds much better to my ears (and my wife agrees, saying that the Denon always sounded a bit off). Make sure to update the firmware though -- mine had some weird issues before I did that.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Has anyone set theirs up yet? How does it sound?
I set up my V6A last Saturday and so far I am delighted with it. I even like the Android Music Cast app, which feels like a real app and not an afterthought.

I'm not finished in the room yet, so I only did a single YPAO point instead of multi-point. It sounds good, but set my surrounds (which are about 6 feet away) to 11 feet and 23 feet! I manually corrected that.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Is there a way to change the OSD from that -60 DB to the 1 - 80 or whatever more regular numbers on the V6A?

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Having just experienced similar issues with a Denon and resolving them, it appears that the audio (and video?) dropouts are likely due to a handshake issue with the Tivo DVR (it happens a lot with cable boxes and similar devices when dealing with an AVR as opposed to being connected directly to a display).
It's not relevant to the Denon since you returned it, but the Denon FAQ has a section detailing the specific issue and possible resolutions. If it rears its head again with the Yamaha, you can try what you see there.

The power difference will mean things sound a tiny bit louder at a similar volume setting, but not necessarily better.

You may want to consider returning the RX-V6A and getting the TSR-700 from Costco, giving you the same features at a price lower than the AVR-S750H.

·
Registered
593 Posts
I actually just did the exact same swap (the Denon had a persistent issue with volume getting massively boosted when switching among certain inputs). The V6A sounds much better to my ears (and my wife agrees, saying that the Denon always sounded a bit off). Make sure to update the firmware though -- mine had some weird issues before I did that.
Funny that we're both doing the same receiver swap. Good to know.

I'm also in the process of evaluating some front L and R speakers. I liked the speakers overall but felt they didn't pick up lighter drum and percussion sounds as well as some powered speakers I have. I wasn't sure if it was the receiver, or if that's just how the speakers sound. I guess I will see.

Thanks for the tip on the firmware, I'll make sure I do that.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Having just experienced similar issues with a Denon and resolving them, it appears that the audio (and video?) dropouts are likely due to a handshake issue with the Tivo DVR (it happens a lot with cable boxes and similar devices when dealing with an AVR as opposed to being connected directly to a display).
It's not relevant to the Denon since you returned it, but the Denon FAQ has a section detailing the specific issue and possible resolutions. If it rears its head again with the Yamaha, you can try what you see there.

The power difference will mean things sound a tiny bit louder at a similar volume setting, but not necessarily better.

You may want to consider returning the RX-V6A and getting the TSR-700 from Costco, giving you the same features at a price lower than the AVR-S750H.
I called my Costco but they didn't have the TSR-700.

I can't find it on Costco online either.

As for the handshake issue, I tried various settings, as well as two support calls with Denon. We couldn't resolve it.

Can you link to the FAQ that you saw? I'll re-read that part.

A workaround I finally ended up doing was using optical out from my DVR, to the AVR, and using that as the audio source for HDMI input # 1 on the AVR. But I would have preferred to use HDMI.

741 - 760 of 853 Posts