AVS Forum banner

761 - 780 of 853 Posts

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
In the 2019 FAQ, search for "k. HDMI Handshake Issues (audio/video dropouts):"

In my case, the problematic device was a FiOS cable box. A different 4K HDR input had overlay, but FiOS box wouldn't overlay and had audio and video dropouts.
Changing cables, inputs, setting video to enhanced or standard didn't help. Resetting microprocessor didn't help. Support was convinced it was a handshake issue.
They told me how to to a "hard" reset (different than microprocessor reset), and it solved the problem.

My older model has a different front panel than the S750H, so you'd need support to tell you how it works for yours, or you could try the procedure described in the FAQ, which I didn't get to try before they told me to reset the unit.

You might want to keep checking Costco for the TSR-700. It apparently has been showing up off and on on the website, which I've seen for myself.

I called my Costco but they didn't have the TSR-700.
I can't find it on Costco online either.
As for the handshake issue, I tried various settings, as well as two support calls with Denon. We couldn't resolve it.
Can you link to the FAQ that you saw? I'll re-read that part.
A workaround I finally ended up doing was using optical out from my DVR, to the AVR, and using that as the audio source for HDMI input # 1 on the AVR. But I would have preferred to use HDMI.

·
Registered
631 Posts
This thread is for the Aventage models A2, A4, A6 and A8 ... and it has been flooded by posts about the V4 and V6. Cool

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just got the RX-V6a connected to my LG C9. How do you tell if the AVR is using Dolby Atmos? Also I dont see any settings in the AVR that refer to Atmos.

·
Registered
593 Posts
In the 2019 FAQ, search for "k. HDMI Handshake Issues (audio/video dropouts):"

In my case, the problematic device was a FiOS cable box. A different 4K HDR input had overlay, but FiOS box wouldn't overlay and had audio and video dropouts.
Changing cables, inputs, setting video to enhanced or standard didn't help. Resetting microprocessor didn't help. Support was convinced it was a handshake issue.
They told me how to to a "hard" reset (different than microprocessor reset), and it solved the problem.

My older model has a different front panel than the S750H, so you'd need support to tell you how it works for yours, or you could try the procedure described in the FAQ, which I didn't get to try before they told me to reset the unit.

You might want to keep checking Costco for the TSR-700. It apparently has been showing up off and on on the website, which I've seen for myself.
Having just experienced similar issues with a Denon and resolving them, it appears that the audio (and video?) dropouts are likely due to a handshake issue with the Tivo DVR (it happens a lot with cable boxes and similar devices when dealing with an AVR as opposed to being connected directly to a display).
It's not relevant to the Denon since you returned it, but the Denon FAQ has a section detailing the specific issue and possible resolutions. If it rears its head again with the Yamaha, you can try what you see there.

The power difference will mean things sound a tiny bit louder at a similar volume setting, but not necessarily better.

You may want to consider returning the RX-V6A and getting the TSR-700 from Costco, giving you the same features at a price lower than the AVR-S750H.
I set up the Yamaha.

Funny how YPAO uses the same test tones as Denon's Audyssey setup. The YPAO setup only took 2 - 3 mins though, while the Denon one took 20+ mins, including assembling the test microphone. The Denon test microphone required assembling a paper stand for the microphone.

No audio drop out issues so far!!!!!!!

What's an easy way to display the sound information? I seem to have to go to Option-->Audio Signal Information.

On the Denon remote, there was a Info button which would display all of that.

The "Display" button on the Yamaha doesn't seem to do anything. What's it for?

I actually just did the exact same swap (the Denon had a persistent issue with volume getting massively boosted when switching among certain inputs). The V6A sounds much better to my ears (and my wife agrees, saying that the Denon always sounded a bit off). Make sure to update the firmware though -- mine had some weird issues before I did that.

This thread is for the Aventage models A2, A4, A6 and A8 ... and it has been flooded by posts about the V4 and V6. Cool
I saw posts in here about the V6A, so I started discussing it too.

If you want, someone can create another thread, and then have those posts moved there.

For what it's worth, the RX-V series seems to be based on the ADVENTAGE series.

RX-V Series AV receivers — the direct result of everything we learned from the AVENTAGE Series — leverage peak sound and video technologies to create the best value you can find in an AV receiver.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Just got the RX-V6a connected to my LG C9. How do you tell if the AVR is using Dolby Atmos? Also I dont see any settings in the AVR that refer to Atmos.
I just set mine up a few minutes ago too. The best I can do is this:

Option-->Audio Signal Information

I hope there's an easier way though, preferably a 1 button approach from the remote.

·
Registered
593 Posts
The "Display" button on the Yamaha doesn't seem to do anything. What's it for?
I checked the manual, and it seems like it might only be used for specific external devices?

Also, is there an easier way to switch inputs? If I want to go from HDMI input 1 to # 5, do I have to scroll through each one, using the up/down key?

The Denon remote had an input button for every possible source, so it was easy to jump from one to the other.

I am also getting an error when using Airplay. (I started a thread on the Apple forums about that). It says there are no speakers connected. But there are, and music will play.

I'm glad my big issue about audio drop out was resolved. But there seem to be a lot of smaller annoying things about this unit / navigating the remote.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just set mine up a few minutes ago too. The best I can do is this:

Option-->Audio Signal Information

I hope there's an easier way though, preferably a 1 button approach from the remote.
I'm running an Atmos test file from USB input on TV. I only have the eARC cable connected to AVR. I cannot see from option menu that it's Dolby Atmos. It says PCM/Dsur.

·
Registered
404 Posts
I can only find power rating of 100Wrms per channel in 2 channel mode.

Anyone know how much this puts out in full 7.1? I need a new HDMI 2.1 AVR to replace my Denon x2200w, but don't want to lose out too much in power output.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
I can only find power rating of 100Wrms per channel in 2 channel mode.

Anyone know how much this puts out in full 7.1? I need a new HDMI 2.1 AVR to replace my Denon x2200w, but don't want to lose out too much in power output.
100 W based on the product's webpage. 100Wrms is a meaningless term.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Does anyone know how to fix this?

I have my PC connected to the AVR. This is on HDMI input # 2.

When I turn my TV on, I see the video output on the screen. I see my PC output on my TV.

But in Windows 10, under Sound settings, the output device for the RX-V6A disappears. When I turn my TV off, the RX-V6A re-appears.

When the output device for the RX-V6A disappears in Windows Sound Settings, I can't hear anything from my PC, to the passive speakers.

When I had the Denon AVR, nothing like this happened. I could have the TV on or off, and the output device for the Denon would remain.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Nice, thanks.
Anyone have success getting scenes 5-8 set-up using the color buttons on the remote, as described in the user manual for the RX-V6A? I have the TSR-700 from Costco, and am trying to get scenes 5-8 programmed, but it won't save the settings when I hold down those color buttons, only reverts to the default settings. This is after changing the setting for those buttons in the options menu to "Scene" as the manual states. I'm trying to use the scenes as a workaround for programming my old Harmony 659 remote. Since there are not discrete input buttons on the TSR-700 remote, I can't seem to get the Harmony programmed to go to a specific input on the receiver. It just toggles through them like a roulette wheel, landing on a different input each time.

·
Registered
77 Posts
But in Windows 10, under Sound settings, the output device for the RX-V6A disappears. When I turn my TV off, the RX-V6A re-appears.
Is it just passing through the device ID of the display it's connected to -- does an entry appear for the TV? I initially had mine set up that way, and noticed that it had an audio device for "LG TV" that played through the receiver. I've since switched over to routing all input through the TV and then using eARC to the receiver for sound, though.

·
Registered
55" LG CX, Yamaha TSR-700, Mirage Nanosat and Yamaha VXS1MLW in 5.1.2
12 Posts
Is it just passing through the device ID of the display it's connected to -- does an entry appear for the TV? I initially had mine set up that way, and noticed that it had an audio device for "LG TV" that played through the receiver. I've since switched over to routing all input through the TV and then using eARC to the receiver for sound, though.
I thought one reason to not go through the TV was the TV doesn't pass through DTS? Well.. at least that was with an LG CX... perhaps you have a different one?

·
Registered
55" LG CX, Yamaha TSR-700, Mirage Nanosat and Yamaha VXS1MLW in 5.1.2
12 Posts
I was on 1.13 when I received the TSR-700. Dolby vision wasn't working (Nvidia Shield Pro (2019)) is the source. Updated to latest (1.23) and Dolby Vision still doesn't work... TV shows it's running Dolby Vision, but the screen is black (audio still plays). Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
I kinda agree. I have zero interest in the V series. There really should be a separate thread for the V series.

761 - 780 of 853 Posts