AVS Forum banner

781 - 800 of 853 Posts

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
What does Yamaha's YPAO do with the bass frequencies from the sub, if anything? Saw the TSR 700 at my local Costco the other day.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I don't agree. This year the RX-A and RX-V series look very similar outside. The same may be the case inside as well. As well as the operational and compatibility issues being reported by new owners of the RX-V series and TSR-700.

Plus, with the RX-A models coming sometime in the future what else will we have to talk about:)

·
Registered
165 Posts
I got a TS-700, I wanted an eARC compatible receiver to pair with my LG CX (with eARC). I even have an eARC compatible HDMI cable (ethernet). I am not sure if I am actually getting Dolby Atmos (Dolby TrueHD) for the Netflix shows that are listed as Dolby Vision-Atmos. The display does not show anything specific. I can't enter into the AVR's Options>Audio Signal Information when I am using the Netflix App on the LG CX. Is there something I am missing?

·
Registered
Sony 65x900h, Yam RXV6A, Klipsch RP504C & RP500SA, 4x JBL HLS820, SMSL-SU8, MD THXAAA789, Senn HD6XX
128 Posts
What does Yamaha's YPAO do with the bass frequencies from the sub, if anything? Saw the TSR 700 at my local Costco the other day.
I'm no expert on the topic, and I am not using a sub. (have always been sub-free...ordered a cheap one recently, polk psw10 that I am returning)

But I have to share something amusing. Just hooked up my klipsch rp504c this morning. Ran YPAO, and Yam set the center channel to small.

4 5.25" drivers, a tweeter, in a 6.8"x31"x14.4" package and it calls it small. Sometimes I just laugh.

Yes, I'm aware small allows for a crossover freq to be set...I'm just having some fun, although it's still surprising considering I don't have a sub hooked up and the avr knows it. I'm not saying it has to be some self-aware AI...just let me have some fun with it, ok? :)

·
Registered
165 Posts
Ok then how do I check what I am getting? With my old AVR (Onkyo TX-NR-676) I could hit the info button and it would tell me the audio and video stream detail on the AVR display. It would say "Dolby Digital +" when playing Dolby Atmos content on Netflix. But was in an ARC receiver not eARC.

What is the point on getting eARC compatible reciever (for the LG CX) if I am getting the same "Dolby Digital +" instead of Atmos? Please help me understand.

·
Registered
Sony 65x900h, Yam RXV6A, Klipsch RP504C & RP500SA, 4x JBL HLS820, SMSL-SU8, MD THXAAA789, Senn HD6XX
128 Posts
Ok then how do I check what I am getting? With my old AVR (Onkyo TX-NR-676) I could hit the info button and it would tell me the audio and video stream detail on the AVR display. It would say "Dolby Digital +" when playing Dolby Atmos content on Netflix. But was in an ARC receiver not eARC.

What is the point on getting eARC compatible reciever (for the LG CX) if I am getting the same "Dolby Digital +" instead of Atmos? Please help me understand.
Two ways:

Press option on the remote, and open the audio signal information.

Or another way is to use the display on the front of the avr. If you download the manual, the display section of the manual starts on page 25. You can use the small knob on the right if you press it in, and can scroll through what's displayed under your input name. It's comforting seeing dtshdma, atmos, dthd, etc. I agree with you.

PS: If you use a pc to play video files with vlc...you might need to change VLC's default settings in order for it to work.
Tools, preferences, audio, and set hdmi/spdif audio pass through to enabled.

Presto...your graphics card will just pass the audio directly without decoding it, allowing the avr to decode it and you'll have that nice warm fuzzy feeling.

These links may also be useful to you...they are dolby trailers for various audio/video codecs. Useful to double check your settings, etc.

Note...your tv doesn't have a dolby encoder, just atmos. I don't have a cx, but steered away from the model for that reason and another one. I'm not certain if you could use an app in the tv and have it pass through a truhd or dts-hdma track...it might not.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Nothing really, you'll need to use separate bass management. This usual go to is getting a umik-1 and using REW.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Two ways:

Or another way is to use the display on the front of the avr. If you download the manual, the display section of the manual starts on page 25. You can use the small knob on the right if you press it in, and can scroll through what's displayed under your input name. It's comforting seeing dtshdma, atmos, dthd, etc. I agree with you.

PS: If you use a pc to play video files with vlc...you might need to change VLC's default settings in order for it to work.
Tools, preferences, audio, and set hdmi/spdif audio pass through to enabled.

Presto...your graphics card will just pass the audio directly without decoding it, allowing the avr to decode it and you'll have that nice warm fuzzy feeling.

These links may also be useful to you...they are dolby trailers for various audio/video codecs. Useful to double check your settings, etc.

Note...your tv doesn't have a dolby encoder, just atmos. I don't have a cx, but steered away from the model for that reason and another one. I'm not certain if you could use an app in the tv and have it pass through a truhd or dts-hdma track...it might not.
You meant that the CX doesn't have a DTS decoder. True: and no DTS will be passed through either.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Traditionally, almost nothing.

In their current HDMI 2.1 models, looks to be continuing that tradition. If you have a decent USB mic, you can use REW to see the issues and attempt to alleviate them somewhat with the 4 bands EQ manually on the AVR. But the system is quite archaic and eventhough it has support down to 16hz, the jumps between each frequency you can select is limited. Example, if you want to choose to EQ 35hz, you can't you gotta go to the next closest frequency and that's 31.5hz. So the controls aren't as granular as they should be.

For better results, get an external DSP like a minidsp or antimode to compensate for bass EQing instead. Do not solely rely on YPAO.

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
Thanks for the response, I have been a Pioneer receiver guy for the last 15 years or so and haven't followed what Ypoa does. I have a Velodyne SMS doing the sub EQ for my subs.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Two ways:
... You can use the small knob on the right if you press it in, and can scroll through what's displayed under your input name. It's comforting seeing dtshdma, atmos, dthd, etc.
Thank you!! The second method works !!! I have set this to my default. The first method does not work when using the TV's Netflix/Prime app as I noted a few posts ago, but works just fine like the other brand AVRs when I use my HTPC as the source.

I think I have solved one problem, but I still don't know what I am supposed to see when playing Netflix Atmos content? Should I see "DD+" (which is what I am seeing with the TSR-100 with eARC or even if I use an older regular ARC receiver) or some phrase like "ATMOS". Am I seeing "DD+" because I have a 5.1 set up and I need a FPL and FPR for the reciever to be truly in 5.2.1 mode and for "ATMOS" to show up?

·
Registered
165 Posts
Thank you Neil S. Bulk.

I think I am royally confused.

I bought the TSR-700 thinking I need an eARC compatible receiver to get "Atmos" from Netflix app (running on the TV). Running 5.1 mode its always DD+, when I put in (placeholder) FPR & FPL for a 5.2.1 set up, I do get "Dolby Atmos".

But for kicks, since everything is open and accessible, I put back the Onkyo TX-NR676 (with ARC, not eARC), with the (placeholder) FPR & FPL for a 5.2.1, I still get "Dolby Atmos".

So whats the point in upgrading to an eARC receiver over my current ARC?

·
Registered
589 Posts
eARC doesn't rely on CEC, so could be less flaky. My TV hasn't upgraded yet, so I can't say for sure about that. Also, it means you can plug devices into your TV and pass high-quality audio from a Blu-ray onto your receiver which you can't do with ARC.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I just setup the TSR-700 and have a Shield Pro connected to it. I also get a red tint screen when trying to watch Dolby Vision on Netflix. I tried changing input back and forth but still couldn't get Vision or get rid of red tint. What I had to do was set the Shield resolution to 4k 24p with HDR+Dolby Vision. When I did that I still got the red tint at first but changing inputs and back I finally got Dolby Vision.

781 - 800 of 853 Posts