AVS Forum banner

101 - 120 of 232 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts

The first 11 channel with full 2.1 HDMI capability gets my money. Until that time comes I wait. No excuse for these delays and dribs and drabs of full functionality. It's time and time is up!

·
Registered
609 Posts
Yep, what worries me the most right now is the look of the new Yamahas. There aren’t any other concerns out there...

·
Registered
2,628 Posts

·
Registered
609 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
I know that everyone hates YPAO, but to be honest if you want to spend some time tweaking the EQ then you can get really good sound from YPAO. It will not magically clean up a bad room as well as Dirac, but that is not really the goal. Dirac gets a lot of good reviews but does not make a huge difference in a tuned room. Trinnov is the only product that will transform any room into something special. I have been doing this for 30 years and everybody along the way has had a product that will "tune" your room. I have been a yahama fan for a couple of reasons. They are one of the few companies that actually make musical instruments and professional mixing equipment and they still manufacture a lot of there own internal equipment and ICs. Yamaha does a very good job of giving you clean accurate sound at a descent price. So if your room is not well tuned then I guess Yamaha and YPAO is not for you.

Reactions: Tom Bley

·
Registered
3,315 Posts
I know that everyone hates YPAO, but to be honest if you want to spend some time tweaking the EQ then you can get really good sound from YPAO. It will not magically clean up a bad room as well as Dirac, but that is not really the goal. Dirac gets a lot of good reviews but does not make a huge difference in a tuned room. Trinnov is the only product that will transform any room into something special. I have been doing this for 30 years and everybody along the way has had a product that will "tune" your room. I have been a yahama fan for a couple of reasons. They are one of the few companies that actually make musical instruments and professional mixing equipment and they still manufacture a lot of there own internal equipment and ICs. Yamaha does a very good job of giving you clean accurate sound at a descent price. So if your room is not well tuned then I guess Yamaha and YPAO is not for you.

Well, seriously, how many people have a "well-tuned" room...?

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Well, seriously, how many people have a "well-tuned" room...?
My HT room is pretty decent. Dedicated room that is sealed off when the door is closed. Rectangle with a flat ceiling. No L/W/H dimension that divides equally into another. Carpet and sound panels.

·
Registered
436 Posts
a lot of people have decently tuned room. You will always have to make compromises (unless you just have the money), but having a dedicated room is a big step in this direction. I will put on my flame suit and say a home theater should be a dedicated room and not a family room with a big tv and multi channel audio. If you have media room with lots of compromised space, then I would agree that Dirac or one of the other products might be a better choice. Yamaha's YPAO will not really help you out in that sort of room.

Reactions: Tom Bley

·
Registered
19 Posts
Denons 2020 AVRs will have true HDMI 2.1.
But do not be overly excited about that. Only one HDMI IN will be a full bandwith 48G port.
This port will be labled as "8K". However, all other ports will support HDMI 2.1 features like VRR, ALLM etc..
This also applies to the X8500H replacement HDMI 2.1 board.

Will be interesting how Yamaha will handle this stuff.
what are the denon 2020 avr model #?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I *think* Jdsmoothie said that Denon will be carrying over all 2019 AVRs to 2021, except the 8X00 series.
Worse part of this re-design is the screen. It looks like an old LCD screen I had on an HTPC. It has backlighting instead of the black background of the current Yamaha AVRs. In a dark room, this display will look like a glowing rectangle and is very distracting *if* on (that's assuming the display can be turned completely off, otherwise it will always look like this). I'm glad I bought my 3080 and hope this isn't the design direction Yamaha is going for all future AVR releases. I dislike the screen more than the knob placement.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Worse part of this re-design is the screen. It looks like an old LCD screen I had on an HTPC. It has backlighting instead of the black background of the current Yamaha AVRs. In a dark room, this display will look like a glowing rectangle and is very distracting *if* on (that's assuming the display can be turned completely off, otherwise it will always look like this). I'm glad I bought my 3080 and hope this isn't the design direction Yamaha is going for all future AVR releases. I dislike the screen more than the knob placement.
I agree with you, Its a VFD display However If you could reverse the polarity it could look decent with blue on black if there is no bleeding. If it was programmable with LCD Smartie that would be king!

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
So, any idea when these are going to be announced? I'm kind of dying to replace my 7.2 channel AVR for an 11 channel Yamaha...
Like a lot of things, I would imagine that Covid-19 has set things back a bit. Normally the 2 lower models would have been released by now, the upper 2 models in June or July, and a new Pre-Pro would have been announced for fall delivery.

101 - 120 of 232 Posts