AVS Forum banner

141 - 160 of 231 Posts

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
I was originally put off with the big phallic volume knob but the look is starting to grow on me. Would I ever not buy and AVR because I think its ugly? Im not that shallow. Its the beauty within and the good sound it delivers that I look for. At least it doesnt have the "me too" look.

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
I was originally put off with the big phallic volume knob but the look is starting to grow on me. Would I ever not buy and AVR because I think its ugly? Im not that shallow. Its the beauty within and the good sound it delivers that I look for. At least it doesnt have the "me too" look.
The ugly look is one thing, but it's the lousy display that turns me off.

Reactions: billmich

·
Registered
768 Posts
The ugly look is one thing, but it's the lousy display that turns me off.
Agreed, stuff like the Anthem STR series, NAD Masters and Naim Uniti gear show you can have a big display and look really nice. Going back to a tiny 3 line display just smacks of engineering to a price point.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey Guys,

I got this email from Yamaha a couple of weeks ago.:)

Good day,
Thank you for contacting Yamaha...

The current lineup of Yamaha Aventage receivers do not support HDMI2.1/HDCP2.3 connectivity nor can they be upgraded for this. It's a hardware thing and HDMI2.1/HDCP2.3 have just now become available for future new series of AV receivers from Yamaha.

The new Aventage models will all support HDMI2.1/HDCP2.3 and will arrive to market late in 2020(October-November).
Models will be named RXA2-RXA4-RXA6 & RXA8.

Thanks!

Yamaha AVCare
---------------------------------------

·
Registered
11 Posts
Not useless

PS5 hasn’t said they will target 120Hz 4K and frankly they don’t have the hardware horsepower to do it on AAA titles.

So 4K 60Hz with VRR will very likely be fine. The other HDMI ports are VRR and QFT functional on the 2020 Denons.

Put your PC or Xbox Series X on the HDMI 2.1 port and your PS5 on one of your other HDMI ports and you’ll be just fine. Both consoles will have VRR and QFT.

Or wait and see what competitors do...that’s fine, but useless is a harsh call.
playsation has stated that they were going to target higher framerate, and based on their presentation, which was very informative, they are more likely to accomplish this task then xbox series x is, despite the small power lead that xbox has. mainly because PS% has a a good idea in their SSD flash controller. blah blah tech stuff.

point being, in cases like mine where will want a ps5 for exclusives and my PC for everything else. im going to want 2 full bandwidth ports.

also, ive been looking at denon's material. did they state ALLM was supported on all HDMI ports? because i didnt see that. i'd love that feature for my switch.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Not useless

PS5 hasn’t said they will target 120Hz 4K and frankly they don’t have the hardware horsepower to do it on AAA titles.

So 4K 60Hz with VRR will very likely be fine. The other HDMI ports are VRR and QFT functional on the 2020 Denons.

Put your PC or Xbox Series X on the HDMI 2.1 port and your PS5 on one of your other HDMI ports and you’ll be just fine. Both consoles will have VRR and QFT.

Or wait and see what competitors do...that’s fine, but useless is a harsh call.

You don't get it. There is only ONE HDMI 2.1 input on the Denons, which means none of the other ports will support VRR/QFT/etc. So YES, useless. I am HOPING the Yamahas have at least 2 HDMI 2.1 inputs for both PS5 and XSX. Anyone know how many yet????

·
Registered
11,768 Posts
Not useless

PS5 hasn’️t said they will target 120Hz 4K and frankly they don’️t have the hardware horsepower to do it on AAA titles.

Put your PC or Xbox Series X on the HDMI 2.1 port and your PS5 on one of your other HDMI ports and you’️ll be just fine. Both consoles will have VRR and QFT.

Or wait and see what competitors do...that’️s fine, but useless is a harsh call.

You don't get it. There is only ONE HDMI 2.1 input on the Denons, which means none of the other ports will support VRR/QFT/etc. So YES, useless. I am HOPING the Yamahas have at least 2 HDMI 2.1 inputs for both PS5 and XSX. Anyone know how many yet????
@Flavius

I realize this is a Yamaha thread, so not as reasonable to think you are following the Denon tech, but you are absolutely wrong on that. All HDMI input ports accept the other aspects of 2.1 on the 2020 Denon’s. It’s been said clearly many times by jdsmoothie, Phil from Sound United training videos, the Denon presser at Audioholics, etc.

This 2020 clip from manufacturer clearly says all the other important HDMI 2.1 aspects are supported on the other HDMI inputs

VRR, QFT, ALLM, Dolby Vision, HDR 10+ etc.

Timestamp 15:50

@flockwood

Sony has shown the majority of their triple A titles at 4K, 30Hz. The “Bleh bleh tech stuff” you throw out — that you must not actually understand is why it can’t do 120Hz, 4K.
It doesn’t have the processing power, not at launch, and certainly not in 4-5 years at end of cycle to run triple A games at 4K 120Hz. It’s basically a ~600Mhz slower Ryzen 3700 CPU and a GPU that is more or less equivalent to the speeds of the existing Nvidia 2080, with a nice fourth gen PCI-NVME drive(the blazing speed of which only helps asset loading speed, not providing an increase of processing power or frame rate bump).

That tech has been available on PC for about a year so far. You know what it can’t do? Run 120Hz 4K. Maybe half that...60FPS (40-70FPS) range on the newest engines (Crysis, Unreal, Havoc, Frostbite, etc)

This isn’t a PS3 cell processor that leaves unknown capability and mystique on the table at launch with hopes it can be harnessed like some Crey supercomputer. It’s a Ryzen CPU, a slower (but capable) one at that, and a well understood GPU architecture, and an exceptionally fast disk drive. You can expect 120hz 4K on last gen titles, maybe... Expect 30Hz, maybe 60Hz on the current gen titles at 4K - just as they showed at their expo. Expect games to load fast as you see in their demos. Don’t expect widespread 120Hz support, that’s a pipe dream.

They’ll give you all kinds of excuses why they are targeting 30Hz 4K. The real reason is the hardware they are putting under the hood isn’t capable, just like modern PC hardware is not capable of current gen games at 120Hz 4K. There is 0 reason Sony would not to do 120Hz, if it were a possibility.

https://screenrant.com/ps5-games-30-fps-why/

https://www.tweaktown.com/news/73182/more-games-during-playstation-5-reveal-ran-at-30fps-few-60fps/index.html

·
Registered
67 Posts
IMO Yamaha Aventage AVRs were the nicest looking ones out there but this new look is pretty ugly, hopefully it looks better in person. Shame to see this change as the 1080s and up models look amazing!!!

·
Registered
11 Posts
@flockwood

Sony has shown the majority of their triple A titles at 4K, 30Hz. The “Bleh bleh tech stuff” you throw out — that you must not actually understand is why it can’t do 120Hz, 4K.
It doesn’t have the processing power, not at launch, and certainly not in 4-5 years at end of cycle to run triple A games at 4K 120Hz. It’s basically a ~600Mhz slower Ryzen 3700 CPU and a GPU that is more or less equivalent to the speeds of the existing Nvidia 2080, with a nice fourth gen PCI-NVME drive(the blazing speed of which only helps asset loading speed, not providing an increase of processing power or frame rate bump).

That tech has been available on PC for about a year so far. You know what it can’t do? Run 120Hz 4K. Maybe half that...60FPS (40-70FPS) range on the newest engines (Crysis, Unreal, Havoc, Frostbite, etc)

This isn’t a PS3 cell processor that leaves unknown capability and mystique on the table at launch with hopes it can be harnessed like some Crey supercomputer. It’s a Ryzen CPU, a slower (but capable) one at that, and a well understood GPU architecture, and an exceptionally fast disk drive. You can expect 120hz 4K on last gen titles, maybe... Expect 30Hz, maybe 60Hz on the current gen titles at 4K - just as they showed at their expo. Expect games to load fast as you see in their demos. Don’t expect widespread 120Hz support, that’s a pipe dream.

They’ll give you all kinds of excuses why they are targeting 30Hz 4K. The real reason is the hardware they are putting under the hood isn’t capable. There is 0 reason not to do it, if it were.

https://screenrant.com/ps5-games-30-fps-why/

https://www.tweaktown.com/news/73182/more-games-during-playstation-5-reveal-ran-at-30fps-few-60fps/index.html

No one expected 4k120 out of the gate, nor on all the titles... What we expected was VRR so that we might get 70-90fps and maybe up to 120.

This tech is not available on computers even now so idk what you're talking about. For example, right now even on pc you have something like Witcher 3 that the storage will load the whole city/town in your visible area to your vram so that it can be recalled at any time and give you a more smooth experience regardless if ssd/hdd. PS5 will skip this step and load these assets directly from your storage freeing up your vram to do other things like textures and models etc, so even though it might look less powerful on paper. It can actually do wit a bit thanks to this clever design. And i hope pc devs take note because it's a good idea.

Denon stated in their tweets that they only had 2 boards from the manufacturer. Either 2 4k120 ins and 1 out. Or 1 4k120 in 2 out... Denon chose the latter so I'm hoping that Yamaha will choose the former since it makes more sense to me

·
Registered
4 Posts
No one expected 4k120 out of the gate, nor on all the titles... What we expected was VRR so that we might get 70-90fps and maybe up to 120.

This tech is not available on computers even now so idk what you're talking about. For example, right now even on pc you have something like Witcher 3 that the storage will load the whole city/town in your visible area to your vram so that it can be recalled at any time and give you a more smooth experience regardless if ssd/hdd. PS5 will skip this step and load these assets directly from your storage freeing up your vram to do other things like textures and models etc, so even though it might look less powerful on paper. It can actually do wit a bit thanks to this clever design. And i hope pc devs take note because it's a good idea.

Denon stated in their tweets that they only had 2 boards from the manufacturer. Either 2 4k120 ins and 1 out. Or 1 4k120 in 2 out... Denon chose the latter so I'm hoping that Yamaha will choose the former since it makes more sense to me
PC has had VRR for some time - (I had a link in here, but I've only posted a few times, but just search nvidia VRR. The driver was release in 2019 for HDMI VRR)

What do you think gsync and freesync ARE? HDMI VRR is just a different implementation.

A lot has been said about the speed of of the SSD, but as much as it will be nice to be able to stream the data straight from the SSD, allowing larger map sizes with less need for culling, fake loads etc, you still are limited by the GPU in the system. Sure it will have more RAM free, but the processing is the same. This isn't going to suddenly make a GPU that can push 4k/60hz and allow it to do 4k/120.

That said, Im still hoping for more than 1 HDMI 2.1 as well. I could get away with 2, but really would prefer 3.

·
Registered
912 Posts
@Flavius

I realize this is a Yamaha thread, so not as reasonable to think you are following the Denon tech, but you are absolutely wrong on that. All HDMI input ports accept the other aspects of 2.1 on the 2020 Denon’s. It’s been said clearly many times by jdsmoothie, Phil from Sound United training videos, the Denon presser at Audioholics, etc.

Thank you for exposing my ignorance, that is good news. Such good news that I may need to buy a Denon, which I only mentioned because the other guy mentioned Denon. :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
PC has had VRR for some time - (I had a link in here, but I've only posted a few times, but just search nvidia VRR. The driver was release in 2019 for HDMI VRR)

What do you think gsync and freesync ARE? HDMI VRR is just a different implementation.

A lot has been said about the speed of of the SSD, but as much as it will be nice to be able to stream the data straight from the SSD, allowing larger map sizes with less need for culling, fake loads etc, you still are limited by the GPU in the system. Sure it will have more RAM free, but the processing is the same. This isn't going to suddenly make a GPU that can push 4k/60hz and allow it to do 4k/120.

That said, Im still hoping for more than 1 HDMI 2.1 as well. I could get away with 2, but really would prefer 3.
I think you misunderstood me.

Denon only has 1 4k120 hdmi input... The rest are 4k60. So if i use pc for that input. Ps5 can't use vrr to go over 60fps because none of the other inputs supports over 60fps in 4k.

Yes I'm aware vrr exists in gsync/freesync. Not sure where you got that that i didn't.
I just think ps5 is more likely to hit higher framerates than xbox because of that specific advancement despite xbox slightly higher specs

*Edit*

Oh i think i get it...

When i said "this tech isn't on pc" i meant the ssd, specifically the flash controller that loads assets directly from the ssd

·
Registered
4 Posts
I think you misunderstood me.

Denon only has 1 4k120 hdmi input... The rest are 4k60. So if i use pc for that input. Ps5 can't use vrr to go over 60fps because none of the other inputs supports over 60fps in 4k.

Yes I'm aware vrr exists in gsync/freesync. Not sure where you got that that i didn't.
I just think ps5 is more likely to hit higher framerates than xbox because of that specific advancement despite xbox slightly higher specs

*Edit*

Oh i think i get it...

When i said "this tech isn't on pc" i meant the ssd, specifically the flash controller that loads assets directly from the ssd

Ah bad reading on my part. I get it, it'd be nice to go above 60hz. From what I've seen and read from various sources, I don't think we'll be breaking 60hz on the PS5. Devs tend to push for more detail over framerate. I'd love to be proved wrong, but time will tell! Im with you on wanting more hdmi 2.1, but I don't buy receivers often so would rather be prepared.

·
Registered
9 Posts
PS5 will skip this step and load these assets directly from your storage freeing up your vram to do other things like textures and models etc, so even though it might look less powerful on paper. It can actually do wit a bit thanks to this clever design. And i hope pc devs take note because it's a good idea.
No it won't. Throughput speed of the disk from the specs is ~8GB/s and bandwidth of the ram is ~500GB/s. You are not going to run a game directly off of the SSD. It will have to be loaded into RAM.

·
Registered
11 Posts
No it won't. Throughput speed of the disk from the specs is ~8GB/s and bandwidth of the ram is ~500GB/s. You are not going to run a game directly off of the SSD. It will have to be loaded into RAM.
Assets from the game will be loaded directly from ssd... I never said the entire game would be run off if it. Clearing up your vram to handle models textures etc

Basically ps5 is using its ssd as ram for certain assets from the game

·
Registered
9 Posts
Basically ps5 is using its ssd as ram for certain assets from the game
No it won't. It's 100 times slower then RAM. There is no way textures or any assets will be loaded in time unless your game is running at 3FPS. The only things I could possibly see is streaming of sounds.

You will be able to stream textures into RAM faster but the GPU is not going to be using a texture directly from the SSD.

141 - 160 of 231 Posts