AVS Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for a replacement for my Onkyo TX-SR805 that has fried another part. This is last years model and about the same spec's as my 805. HD TV and Bluray, CD music and R2R are my main usage. I have had such good luck with my Yamaha RX-V2400 (2003 model) but no HD decoders or I would just play it until it dies. I know there are other brands and models just looking for some info from 2065 owners.

·
Registered
7,815 Posts
Not an owner of this model but have used many other models and sources from Yamaha. Its the best one from last years models in XX65 series. So if the price is right it would seem to me to be a good purchase.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am hard on AVR, retired and play them 15 hours a day. Don't stack and have fans in rear of shelf and 8" of air space above it. HDMI boards will get a work out. They sold new retail $1,300.00 last year.Found some new in box on that auction site for a little less then $700.00 shipped and 1 year warranty. I live in Texas too and can't find any local.

·
Registered
7,815 Posts
I don't doubt they are becoming hard to find. These things change more than the wind. Go to the Auction site and make a bid on one if its the AVR you want. For a little more money the Denon 3311 can be had at Electronic Expo with a coupon code. IMO its worth the price difference. Have no idea what you want to spend for a new AVR so that 3311 may be out of your price. 3311 is a another well made, feature laden AVR that has tons of users here. Haven't seen many complaints as compared to the number of users.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I will look at the Denon and others before I spend my money this time. Looked at seperates but more then I want to spend. I always purchase "New" a last years model AVR for my HT room. I only want to spend $700.00 or less. Paid this same ratio on both of the other two AVR I have purchased. Retailed about $1,399.00 new, wait a year and get for 1/2. Small den with old Klipsch Cornwalls don't need huge power for my 5.2 HT set up now. Do want HD decoders,several HDMI plugs, decent DAC for my R2R, pass thru or direct for 2 channel music.

·
Registered
7,815 Posts
The Denon 3311 has what you want. Also with Audyssey Multi-EQ XT the ability to also EQ sub/subs. Knowing what you want to spend and what you really want out of a newer AVR helps. The next step up in the Denon line would be the 4311 and it's a killer AVR. Multi-EQ XT32 is considered by many to be a major step up. However it is also much more than the 3311. If you don't use or won't need pre-outs you may also want to look at the Denon 2311. There is also the Yamaha Aventage series that are getting good reviews. My choice in those would be either the A2000 or A3000. Each of these are more than the 3311 though. Good luck and hope this helps out in some way.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, you are correct in all things posted. I will have to wait next year to purchase a 3311. I am retired on a budget and I wear them out faster then 2 normal owners (that have a job)
The 2065 Yamaha for about $665.00 delivered, new in box is hard to beat. What is last years Denon model with the 805, 3311 specs?? I will look for a new/old last year model Denon that was about the same price new back then. If you have time look at the 2065 specs. I am in no hurry to buy my old 2400 still does 5.1 on my Blurays OK but I do miss my HD the 805 had.

I was happy with 805 so a step "up" would be nice but not needed for my small room and what I use. I would buy another 805 new/old or the 875 new/old if I could find one. Those were the last Onkyo AVR made in Japan. They had "Really" strong amps. Heavy AVR, it was one the best AVR for the money in 2008.

·
Registered
7,815 Posts
Louis, last years model that replaced the 3311 was the 3310. However it and the 4310 did exhibit some network card problems IIRC. Another option for you is to google the Yamaha 1900/3900 from the year before the xx65 series. For awhile there were a few of these left in some places. Each had the build quality from Yamaha of years past. The 65 series were to many a letdown from previous Yamaha offerings. As for the newer Onkyos from last year and this year they all seem to have too many problems and it seems to be a hit or miss thing with me on their ability to act as promised. I don't recommend them due to my own feelings of them. I'm using an Onkyo 876 and also feel it was the last Onkyo worth having at this time. Others here will have different feelings on this topic than I do and thats okay. They are just not for me. There also some good ones from Marantz you may want to look into. The 5005/6005 seem to be acting as they should and also have many happy owners. They may be more in your price range at this time with a little google search. Also with the new models from just about everyone due out in the next few months or so the prices on this years models will indeed fall until all are sold out.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks I just looked on the auction site. Plenty of the RX-V1900 New in the box. About the same as the 2065 but a heaver unit
..... a plus.. bigger amps or?? Denon 4310 has it all too. But going on line for what?? Firmware ?? Never updated my Onkyo or the 2400 I still use from 2003.

But several hundred dollars more. sigh I like this Yamaha better. Still looking. Thanks for the info. $830.0 plus friegh to $930.00 or so. Um I don't need a AVR that gooes on line. My Bluray and 55" LCD/LED flatt screen does. We have Verizon FIOS HD and wireless in the house. Now there is a Step Up from Cable HD or PC down load speed.

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
The 1900 probably has a bigger power supply transformer. They also may have reduced part/board count through better integration, which might make some difference in weight. If the chassis's are not the same size, that could make a difference.

·
Registered
7,815 Posts
Yes sir there's a member here that used the Yamaha 3900 for quite a while. He upgraded to the Z7 IIRC and didn't notice a difference in the sound. The Z7 just had a few more features. The 3900 is heavier due to fact that it was a much better made AVR than the 65 series. Both the 1900 and 3900 would make excellent choices for you IMO and will do the newer audio codecs,have pre-outs for future use and also have multi-channel analog inputs. Solid units.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I just looked and found some new 3310 about same price as 1900 Yamaha.

New in box. My friend has a 2065 he got new and hammers it every day like I do. He had a 805 go bad on him too.( he liked his so I got one) we both have a room full of Klipsch speakers and like HD TV sound and picture from Bluray of Fios HD TV. 5.1 on Fios so for now I am OK with old 2400.

That Denon 3310 new in box for about $850.00 not a bad deal either.

Wife is mad as she thinks my non HD AVR ROCKS her plates in the kitchen and she can't tell any difference. I will wait on 2065 and save more $$. ummmm thought I had a pick in the 2065 for $650.00 new 1 year warranty HD etc. Thanks still looking.

Don't need controls for other room. Some of the options I will never use. Compairing 1900 and 3310.

·
Registered
18,923 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom52 /forum/post/20206357

Yes sir there's a member here that used the Yamaha 3900 for quite a while. He upgraded to the Z7 IIRC and didn't notice a difference in the sound. The Z7 just had a few more features. The 3900 is heavier due to fact that it was a much better made AVR than the 65 series. Both the 1900 and 3900 would make excellent choices for you IMO and will do the newer audio codecs,have pre-outs for future use and also have multi-channel analog inputs. Solid units.

I owned both. Still own the Z7. There's no reason to believe the Z7 has more power. Perhaps it's most important feature is the noise reduction settings, you don't get that on the 3900. If you have the patience to mess with them, I think they can slightly improve SD signals from cable box, for example. Such as reducing the "obviousness" of macroblocking.

·
Registered
7,815 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis Bartay /forum/post/20206407

I just looked and found some new 3310 about same price as 1900 Yamaha.

New in box. My friend has a 2065 he got new and hammers it every day like I do. He had a 805 go bad on him too.( he liked his so I got one) we both have a room full of Klipsch speakers and like HD TV sound and picture from Bluray of Fios HD TV. 5.1 on Fios so for now I am OK with old 2400.

That Denon 3310 new in box for about $850.00 not a bad deal either.

Wife is mad as she thinks my non HD AVR ROCKS her plates in the kitchen and she can't tell any difference. I will wait on 2065 and save more $$. ummmm thought I had a pick in the 2065 for $650.00 new 1 year warranty HD etc. Thanks still looking.

Don't need controls for other room. Some of the options I will never use. Compairing 1900 and 3310.

You can get a new 3311 for very close to that price of the 3310. Still if you feel you wouldn't use/need all the things on the 3311 the 1900/3900 will work out just fine. The 2065 will probably work out as well for you also. Its the best that Yamaha made in the 65 series by far. If it has all the connections/features you want I doubt you could go wrong with it. Your speakers are easy enough to drive so the 2065 should work out just fine. Try to get your friend to bring his over to your house and listen to it with your speakers and see if it has the sound you are looking for. One thing i do feel is it will outlast that Onkyo easily.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I had heard 3900 and Z7 were Great but out of my price range and more features then I use. I have been looking at all of the AVR now.........1900,2065 or Denon 3310 all will do me just fine......still looking and hope someone with a 2065 posts a reply. Less money but??????

·
Registered
7,815 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis Bartay /forum/post/20206504

I had heard 3900 and Z7 were Great but out of my price range and more features then I use. I have been looking at all of the AVR now.........1900,2065 or Denon 3310 all will do me just fine......still looking and hope someone with a 2065 posts a reply. Less money but??????

There is a dedicated thread here somewhere for the 765/1065/2065 series AVR's from Yamaha. Do a search. Your answers may be in there. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I did a search on the RX-V2065 nothing came here. Did that before I posted and looked to see if the 2065 has been bench tested.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts