AVS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 357 Posts

·
Registered
1,401 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by drSeehas /forum/post/21263864

The BD-A1010 is just a rebadged and cheaper BD-A1000.

Besides the extra HDMI output, what else is the BD-A1010 lacking in comparison to the BD-A1000?

·
Registered
384 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big C /forum/post/21263879

Besides the extra HDMI output, what else is the BD-A1010 lacking in comparison to the BD-A1000?

???

Which extra HDMI output?

The BD-A1010 is lacking nothing.

It is a BD-A1000 named BD-A1010.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by drSeehas /forum/post/21263926

???

Which extra HDMI output?

The BD-A1010 is lacking nothing.

It is a BD-A1000 named BD-A1010.

I believe I got that from hometheaterreviews.com. After checking the BD-A1000 manual, I guess they screwed up, huh? Then the only differences would be later firmware and iPhone compatibility. Then I don't have to worry about missing out on the BD-A1000. So far, I'm already happy with my decision.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
If this player converts DSD to PCM at 176.4 KHz like the BD-A1000 did, it would beat the Oppo as a digital transport. Mine should arive today.

·
Registered
3,820 Posts
One other advantage of the Oppo over the Yamaha is HDCD decoding. I don't see it as an option for the Yamaha. Not truly universal.I have a lot of HDCDs where I'd like to get the full 20 bit decoding.

·
Registered
384 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by glangford /forum/post/21273553

One other advantage of the Oppo over the Yamaha is HDCD decoding. I don't see it as an option for the Yamaha. Not truly universal. http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/editp...ost&p=21273553 I have a lot of HDCDs where I'd like to get the full 20 bit decoding.

Do you still connect your player analog to your AVR?

Otherwise a decoder in the player is useless.

I have also a lot of HDCDs and an AVR with integrated HDCD decoder, so...

Oh, by the way: Your link doesn't work.

·
Registered
3,820 Posts
I have a Denon 3311ci, so it doesn't have a HDCD decoder. I use hdmi from an oppo bdp-83, letting the Oppo decode.

Most AVRs do not have HDCD decoding, at least Denon. You have to get to their upper echelon AVRs for that feature. I also use the stereo analog outs to a headphone amp which also requires that the player do the decoding.

·
Registered
384 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by glangford /forum/post/21274704

I have a Denon 3311ci, so it doesn't have a HDCD decoder. I use hdmi from an oppo bdp-83, letting the Oppo decode.

If you use a HDMI connection HDCDs won't be decoded in the player.

Again: You can hear decoded by the player only with analog connections.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Does this player output DSD through the 2 channel analog outputs or does it convert to PCM? Is it better to use the higher upsampling via PCM or keep SACD in the DSD realm? Thanks for your responses.

Mike

·
Registered
3,820 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by drSeehas /forum/post/21274750

If you use a HDMI connection HDCDs won't be decoded in the player.

Again: You can hear decoded by the player only with analog connections.

My understanding is that you can have the oppo decode and transfer to the denon as a 44.1khz/20 bit LPCM feed, similar to it sending a 88.1khz/24 bit feed for sacd.

·
Registered
3,820 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpstuff /forum/post/21275083

Does this player output DSD through the 2 channel analog outputs or does it convert to PCM? Is it better to use the higher upsampling via PCM or keep SACD in the DSD realm? Thanks for your responses.

Mike

It does neither. It puts out an analog signal. The player will internally decode and send it to the DAC then to the analog outs.

·
Registered
384 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpstuff /forum/post/21275083

Does this player output DSD through the 2 channel analog outputs ...

Yes, but converted to analog and not as DSD of course.

Quote:
... or does it convert to PCM?

Yes, if you want it. But not through the analog outputs of course.

·
Registered
384 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by glangford /forum/post/21275392

... you can have the oppo decode [HDCD] and transfer to the denon as a 44.1khz/20 bit LPCM feed, ...

Do you have any proof for your claim?

The OPPO would be the first player on earth doing this.

Where in the menu do you switch to this behavior? For AVRs with built-in HDCD decoders the player has to output undecoded of course. How will the player know, what to do?

·
Registered
3,820 Posts
That was my only point, that the yamaha was missing one feature to be a truly universal player. Does that make it a bad player, heck no, for 399 its a great deal. Doing SACD at 176.1khz is fantastic. It has 7.1 plus the stereo 2.0 analogs. Oppo dropped the 2.0 ouputs on the newer 93. If I needed another player it would sure be tempting as I need the 2.0s for my headphone rig. Given my growing SACD collection, I'd have to wonder if the extra 100 dollars for the oppo is worth the extra 4 bits I get from some CDS.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
love the cosmetics. With the tray at the center lower half of the player, it actually reminds me of the Pioneer Elite DV-58AV. The same thing holds true for the power cord. I love the front panel display. It's nice to see a color other than amber on a component for a change! Due to my sight impairment, running through the setup menu is a little bit of an eye strain, but I successfuly got through it. I had trouble making anything out in the speaker settings, but being that I use HDMI, I don't think that should matter, even when HDMI output is set to PCM for all sources, including SACD. Yet I performed the factory reset just to be sure I didn't screw anything up by trying to play around in the speaker menu, and have never touched it again since. I then connected it to the internet using the Pioneer AS-WL300 USB-powered wifi bridge. Finally, I loaded my SACD edition of "Celine Dion: A Decade of Song." After the bad luck I've been having, I was almost certain that my receiver was downsampling PCM sources above 96 KHz. However, to my surprise, my luck changed and my receiver stated that the BD-A1010 was indeed converting the DSD track to PCM at 176.4 KHz! I don't think I've ever screamed so loudly in the morning before! I hope to watch movies on it soon. My Pioneer BDP-23FD has source direct. While I found it convenient, I can survive without it. I just go into the display menu and change the resolution back and forth, based on whether I'm playing a DVD or Blu-ray. Considering how good the player is, I don't mind having to do that. It would be cool if Pioneer rebadges this player and adds PQLS to it. Then you'd have a winner!

·
Registered
384 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by glangford /forum/post/21278831

... Does that make it a bad player,

It depends.

I have a lot of HDCDs. BUT I have an AVR with built-in HDCD decoder. But these AVRs are very rare. So, if you don't have an AVR with built-in HDCD decoder, the Yamaha is a bad player.
Quote:
... for 399 its a great deal.

And for $100 more the OPPO is a great deal: Even if you don't have HDCDs you get 2 HDMI outputs with the OPPO. Important if your AVR doesn't support 3D.
Quote:
Doing SACD at 176.1khz is fantastic.

Again: It depends.

I have a receiver with built-in DSD decoder, so no need for in player converting to PCM.
Quote:
It has 7.1 plus the stereo 2.0 analogs. Oppo dropped the 2.0 ouputs on the newer 93.

I have for many years now no need for mc analog outputs.
Quote:
... I'd have to wonder if the extra 100 dollars for the oppo is worth the extra 4 bits I get from some CDS.

Again: It depends.

If the HDCDs use Peak extent and/or gain, it is worth the extra $100.

21 - 40 of 357 Posts