AVS Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any experience with this player? I have been unable to find a single user review anywhere.

Would like to hear opinions from anyone who has used this player.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I'd love to see review too, but I also cannot find a serious review anywhere. I'm especially interested in the performance of the 2:2 cadence detection for PAL DVDs. The s667 passed the 2:2 test (Thanks Winston) so it would be nice to at least know if the S671 has the same chip.

Does anyone know?

Cheers

Galactics

·
Registered
117 Posts
I just ordered this BD player from Amazon as they had the best price going. I recently purchased a Yamaha RX-V671 AVR which I love, so I'm looking forward to receiving this BD player. I'm coming from an old PS3 "fat".

·
Registered
117 Posts
I got this BD player and watched X-men First Class. Both the picture and sound were stunning. This player replaced my PS3 and I am quite happy with it. Setup was easy, and for the network, I connected a wireless Ethernet adapter to the LAN port then ran a firmware update over the network. No issues at all. I haven't tested the upscaling with a DVD yet nor have I watched any of the streaming, although I did register for Blockbuster On Demand. I didn't get this player for streaming anyway as I have AppleTV.

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the info. Amazon's pricing is why I'm so interested, as I also have $50 in Amazon gift cards.

How is the speed of the player? And please let us know if you get a chance to check out the streaming or DVD up-conversion. Netflix was one of the reasons I was interested in the player, but after their recent announcements, not so much anymore.

·
Registered
117 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamZX11 /forum/post/21038087

Thanks for the info. Amazon's pricing is why I'm so interested, as I also have $50 in Amazon gift cards.

How is the speed of the player? And please let us know if you get a chance to check out the streaming or DVD up-conversion. Netflix was one of the reasons I was interested in the player, but after their recent announcements, not so much anymore.

Yeah I hear ya. Netflix on AppleTV is great but I'll let you know how it is on the BD player. I can tell you that YouTube is very good on the Yamaha! But that is the only one I've tried so far.

·
Registered
117 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamZX11 /forum/post/21038087

Oh and the speed is fine. I didn't time it, but it came up fairly quickly, about the same as what my old PS3 did.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi !

Excuse me for my english ... I'm a french guy !

I just got this player, and it's great.

However, when I play any type of disc (CD/DVD/BD), I can hear some noise from it ... just as the player searches for chapters for example.

It's quiet, but I can hear it if the sound is not very high ...

Did you experienced it ? Or can you try to play disc and put the sound on "mute" and verify ?

Thanks

·
Registered
117 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by slavalard /forum/post/21042309

Hi !

However, when I play any type of disc (CD/DVD/BD), I can hear some noise from it ... just as the player searches for chapters for example.

Did you experienced it ? Or can you try to play disc and put the sound on "mute" and verify ?

Thanks

I didn't hear anything when I played my first BD on it, but I will give it a test and let you know.

·
Registered
117 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDJCan /forum/post/21042452

I didn't hear anything when I played my first BD on it, but I will give it a test and let you know.

Tonight I played a regular DVD and I put the AVR on mute and I did not hear a thing from the Blu-Ray player! It was dead silent.

·
Registered
1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by slavalard /forum/post/21042309

Hi !

Thanks

I've had this player for a week or so now, and I have also experienced similar sounds, as if the laser is constantly adjusting itself/chapter searching during regular playback of BDs/DVDs. The audio and video on screen remain unaffected, it's just the sound from the unit that is somewhat distracting at low volume or quiet scenes. I didn't notice this issue at first, so I'm unsure if it originated right out of the box or was caused by a notoriously faulty disc (The End of Evangelion) that I wanted to test and managed to play. So far I've only watched a few movies on it: Avatar (BD), End of Eva (DVD), Star Trek (2009) (BD), Predator (BD) in that order. I've yet to contact Yamaha about the issue, though even if it's part of normal disc playback it's unlikely that I'll return the unit.

Is it possible for faulty discs to damage the laser? This is also hooked up to an older tube TV via component outputs. Could that be a cause of the issue?

·
Registered
353 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamZX11 /forum/post/20924826

Anyone have any experience with this player? I have been unable to find a single user review anywhere.

Would like to hear opinions from anyone who has used this player.

Well, I've had the player for a couple of weeks and decided to return it to Amazon. It does provide a decent picture and performs well, for the most part.. but..

1) I experienced more than one instance of the player locking up entirely, requiring the power to be removed. Accessing Film Fresh caused this to happen, among other things..

2) The youtube app sucks. It's HORRIBLE.. never experienced a worse youtube app anywhere.. yeah.. it's that bad. Videos stutter terribly and there doesn't seem to be any way to make it right. I have a 50mbps connection, btw.

3) No source direct mode.

4) Color space conversion is screwed up, as determined by using the spears and munsil disk. Fails chroma multiburst, and clipping (passes clipping on RGB). I'm using a samsung 58c8000 plasma.

5) De-interlacing performance sucks... I should qualify that, it sucks compared to the scaler in my receiver, Yamaha RX-A3000. I get lots of artifacts on the spears and munsil "jaggies" test, but the rest seem fine. Also, 1080i content looks "softer" when using the player deinterlacing versus the receiver scaling. Tested with concert BD's and 1080i BD movies.

6) Upscaling performance is mediocre. I can CLEARLY see a difference in favor of the RX-A3000 when sending it 480i from the player, versus letting the player scale to 1080p. This is where source direct would've worked.

7) Yamaha doesn't care and won't fix any of the above. I contacted support about these things, and they pretty much brushed me aside. I then decided to return the player and buy an Oppo BDP-93. If I'm already spending over $200 on a player, might as well get one that works properly.

In short.. don't buy, there's better players out there. I don't think it's entirely horrible, as I've seen worse. At least it played all my BD's, which is more than I can say for the BD-6900 from samsung that chokes on Star Wars BD's and a few others.

Regards...

·
Registered
353 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanhoek /forum/post/21446344

Well, I've had the player for a couple of weeks and decided to return it to Amazon. It does provide a decent picture and performs well, for the most part.. but..

1) I experienced more than one instance of the player locking up entirely, requiring the power to be removed. Accessing Film Fresh caused this to happen, among other things..

2) The youtube app sucks. It's HORRIBLE.. never experienced a worse youtube app anywhere.. yeah.. it's that bad. Videos stutter terribly and there doesn't seem to be any way to make it right. I have a 50mbps connection, btw.

3) No source direct mode.

4) Color space conversion is screwed up, as determined by using the spears and munsil disk. Fails chroma multiburst, and clipping (passes clipping on RGB). I'm using a samsung 58c8000 plasma.

5) De-interlacing performance sucks... I should qualify that, it sucks compared to the scaler in my receiver, Yamaha RX-A3000. I get lots of artifacts on the spears and munsil "jaggies" test, but the rest seem fine. Also, 1080i content looks "softer" when using the player deinterlacing versus the receiver scaling. Tested with concert BD's and 1080i BD movies.

6) Upscaling performance is mediocre. I can CLEARLY see a difference in favor of the RX-A3000 when sending it 480i from the player, versus letting the player scale to 1080p. This is where source direct would've worked.

7) Yamaha doesn't care and won't fix any of the above. I contacted support about these things, and they pretty much brushed me aside. I then decided to return the player and buy an Oppo BDP-93. If I'm already spending over $200 on a player, might as well get one that works properly.

In short.. don't buy, there's better players out there. I don't think it's entirely horrible, as I've seen worse. At least it played all my BD's, which is more than I can say for the BD-6900 from samsung that chokes on Star Wars BD's and a few others.

Regards...

I received the Oppo BDP-93 yesterday, and its youtube app, while it looks exactly the same, works a TON better.. it actually plays content without stuttering! Perhaps the processor on the Yamaha is too slow?

Also, the color space problems appear to be a display issue, as I tried numerous combinations and cabling routes and that appears to be the result. The Oppo does achieve better color performance though.

Yes, the Oppo is 2x as expensive as this Yamaha.. but its features actually work. Oh, and the DVD upscaling is a bit nicer too.

·
Registered
7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejev /forum/post/21409384

I've had this player for a week or so now, and I have also experienced similar sounds, as if the laser is constantly adjusting itself/chapter searching during regular playback of BDs/DVDs. The audio and video on screen remain unaffected, it's just the sound from the unit that is somewhat distracting at low volume or quiet scenes. I didn't notice this issue at first, so I'm unsure if it originated right out of the box or was caused by a notoriously faulty disc (The End of Evangelion) that I wanted to test and managed to play. So far I've only watched a few movies on it: Avatar (BD), End of Eva (DVD), Star Trek (2009) (BD), Predator (BD) in that order. I've yet to contact Yamaha about the issue, though even if it's part of normal disc playback it's unlikely that I'll return the unit.

Is it possible for faulty discs to damage the laser? This is also hooked up to an older tube TV via component outputs. Could that be a cause of the issue?

Hi !

Don't worry about your TV and your discs, I've tested all kind of discs : CD, DVD, BLURAY, and I've always experienced this issue (and I also tested CRT and LED TV)

I didn't have returned it, but I think I will.

·
Registered
1 Posts

Quote:

Yes, that is happening to me on a daily basis, and it is extremely annoying. I have to pull the power plug, get it back in, then have to open and close the tray for the BD to work.

On another note, opening the tray is really really slow, which, it seems, is a constant thing on Yamaha players, had the same problem on a DVD one.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Yamaha BD-S671 - no video shown

Hi, I have an old Yamaha BD-S671 blu-ray player. Today I wanted to play a DVD on it, but instead of picture I am getting a blue screen. The sound is playing, I am able to access the players menu, change the setting during playback (like sound, switch chapters, show the playback status) but the screen is blue. Sometimes when opening the settings menu the DVD content glimps on the screen for a second, but thats all.

The HDMI connection should be OK since I have sound and picture of the players menu. I have tried several DVD and blu ray disc that were working a few weeks ago. I have made a factory reset of the player, but the issue still persists. Any idea what could be wrong? Is my player dieing?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts