AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a 5DVD player on the quality level of the Denon 1600 and Panasonic 82. I read that the Yamaha's above both have it. The only complaint people seem to have is the lack of power off on the remote, althought I'm wondering if I can plug it into my Yamaha receiver and turn it on and off with that remote. Anyone have an idea and about the difference between those two players? Thanks.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I have the 920 and I really like it. The 'manual' power switch is kind of an inconvenience at times but I usually have to go over to load the discs anyways. The picture is great, there is a lot more detail than my old sony player had. I'm pretty sure the 920 and the 6480 are exactly the same player - the 6480 was just numbered differently for use in a 'home theater in a box' application I think. I'm very happy with my 920 :)

·
Registered
463 Posts
The only difference between the two units is purely cosmetic.

Just plug either player into your receiver and it will power on as soon as you turn-on your Yamaha receiver.

The nice thing is that, even if there are discs in the tray, it will not automatically begin playing them.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
I'm selling my C6480 on eBay with original box, etc. for cheap.

Going to a slimmer, one disk model for a variety of reasons due to my cabinet. This is a great player. I too had the C6480 plugged in the AV receiver to control on/off. Like MJBurt, I walk over to the player to fiddle with disks anyways.

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
Does having thae player off with no standby mode have an effect of the settings, etc, or are there any really to mess with?

I see this as a curse of having to have eveything on all the time, even when not watching a DVD, and the convenience of eliminating another power-up sequence on my programable remote.

Argggghhh!:D

I do have a Yamaha CD changer with a "hard" button power-on-off and I just have it power up with the receiver. The CD changer is more of an idiot machine, though - with no settings to really change or ever worry about.

Just seems like a waste to alays have everyting on like that when I am not watching DVD's.

Is this a real valid deal breaker??

·
Premium Member
7,419 Posts
I imagine the players are identical in price with one another? Then again, hard to say with the one player only available bundled with the home theatre kit. When does the new player come out? Would be nice if the price on the current models drops.

:)

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
I heard somewhere that this player does NOT have a "skip disk" button on the remote?

1. Is this true?

I called all over and found no stores that have these to allow for a demo.

2. I am going to assume that the chipset it has is going to give similar PQ as the Denon 1600, RP82, and the like?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
HA HA HA!!!!

Sorry, I edited my post..!

ha ha still laughing here at my poor spelling.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by cpc
I imagine the players are identical in price with one another? Then again, hard to say with the one player only available bundled with the home theatre kit. When does the new player come out? Would be nice if the price on the current models drops.:)
The 6480 is available as a stand alone unit and they do have the same MSRP, which was recently lowered to $399. The 6480 is sold to the mass market retail chain stores like Fry's and Sears. The 920 is sold to exclusive Yamaha dealers like the high-end audio outlets. You wont likely find the 920 available thru a authorized internet retailer like Crutchfield. However they are identical units except for the cosmetic differences and the 6480 can be bought as low as $199 where as the 920 will likely sell for close to its suggested retail.

Either way they are top notch units that offer the same PQ has the highly acclaimed Panasonic units with much better build quality.

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
Would the C6480 put out the "same"image as the Denon 1600 all other things bieng equal? (TV settings, etc)

Hoping that someone has seen both of them in action on the SAME display..........

·
Registered
462 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by pcrx
Would the C6480 put out the "same"image as the Denon 1600 all other things bieng equal? (TV settings, etc)
I have not seen the 1600 but I have seen the RP-82, CP-72 and C6480 all on my Toshiba 65H82 and I could not tell any noticable differences between these 3 units. I hope this helps.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I have had the Denon 1600 and now i have the Yamaha C920 and the 920 is basically a multi disc version of the Denon 1600 minus the 100hz crossover option for DVD-Audio. If you have full range speakers or the Outlaw ICBM this shouldn't be a problem. BTW, both of these players are made by Panasonic for their respective companies. Video quality is identical to the RP82(all three have same video section). Both are Chroma bug free and have excellent sound quality(better than the RP82 i tried for cd and DVD-A playback IMO). For those looking for an RP82 i strongly suggest giving these units a demo! The Yamaha can be had at Tweeter now for $300 to $399(initially it was $599). They are both excellent players. I only chose the Yamaha for it's 5 disc changer feature.

Dalton

·
Registered
4 Posts
Does anybody know if the C920 plays DVD-R, DVD-RW disks? I'm looking for a DVD burner and I need to know which format to get for the C920.

Thanks,

Doug

·
Registered
291 Posts
HDSP,

I know for a fact the 920 plays DVD-R's. That's all i have tried in it for recordable dvd's. It plays VCD but NOT SVCD.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Quote:
BTW, both of these players are made by Panasonic for their respective companies.
This is not completely correct. The video boards that these units use are made by Panasonic for the respective companies but the actual units them selves are designed and built by Denon and Yamaha respectfuly. At least this is what I was told by 2 different Yamaha rep's.

My Panasonic units were made in Singapore and the Yamaha unit is made in Malaysia.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by zoro
did secret, ever checked, compared these units, dmunsil pls?
No, secrets has not tested either of these Yamaha units.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.