AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have seen this model for $250 which seems like a good deal and have read a few threads where people liked the player. The one "quirk" of note I guess is that you can't turn the power on/off from the remote (which BTW just seems plain weird for Yamaha not to have designed in). Are there any other "quirks" or negatives about this player. I really like having the changer (any comments on speed of moving from disc-to-disc) and the Faroudia DCDi. The DVD-A is not really a factor for me one way or the other.

Thanks,

John

· Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I'll bump this once to see if it catches anyone's eye (I know DVI has pretty much taken over the bulk of recent discussion).

If I don't learn anything negative, I'm probably going to pick one up tomorrow.

· Registered
1,089 Posts
I have the Yamaha CX1, which is a little beefed up from the 920 in terms of video according to Yamaha's website ( http://www.yamaha.com/yec/products/DVD/DVDcomp.htm ). And, it does have a On/Off button, which was a big surprise to me. I had a Yammie CD changer with the same problem - no power button. I think the CX1 also has a little bit heavier construction, but he 920 is no slouch itself. I was able to replace 2 components with the CX1 - CD changer and Panny CP72. I was also able to pick it up for $499 a couple of months ago. Both players have Burr-Brown dac's and faroudja, so I think you would be pretty happy with the 920, as that is the heart of video and 2 channel audio. Haven't done much listening to multi-channel on the CX1, the Elite DV45A carries those duties.

· Registered
83 Posts
I have one. The picture and sound quality are good. The remote power is inconvenient, but my biggest complaint is that it's unbelievably slow. By that I mean it takes so much time when you first turn it on until the tray will open to load or unload CD/DVDs. The seek time between disks in random mode is an eternity. It drives me out of my mind because I spent quite a bit of money on this thing. The picture quality is really good, however not as good as my $200 BRAVO D1 with DVI.

· Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
DJ_JohnnyV, I have seen the CX1, but not any better priced than what you got. I'm not sure that I want to pay $200+ just so I don't have to get off my lazy a** to shut the power off :p . Do you have any idea what Yamaha is talking about in saying the CX-1 has "film mode" but not the 920? I thought film mode was done by the Faroudia. Do you find the plater to be slow (as jaykelly describes)? I seem to have noticed this in a lot of DVD changers (vs. CD changers I've used which are comparatively much quicker). Perhaps it's somehow unavoidable?

· Registered
1,089 Posts
Yes, the CX1 is a little slow on startup and when swithcing between discs. I think this is mainly due to the fact that it (along wiith other DVD changers) first has to recognize what format the disc is (DVD, CD, DVD-A, etc.), then start playing it. I think you would run into a similar problem with just about any changer. Not sure about the film mode, not a realy expert in some of this terminology.

· Registered
1,059 Posts
I have the 920. I love it. I use my Receiver to switch it on and off. Picture quality is incredible. Has the inerds of the Panasonic 72.

Mitsubishi 55857 TV

SAT-520 HD Receiver

DTC-100 SAt Receiver

C-920 Yamaha 5 DVD changer

Replay TV

DVDO Iscan V2

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.