AVS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've owned this player for a while now and feel it is both a very capable player/DAC and is also exceedingly well-built. These don't seem to have much traction in the market at the moment and I haven't heard of many people running them. I realize they are on the expensive side, but my experience is that they are competitive with other units in this price range.

Anyone else using one?

·
Registered
15,538 Posts
For high-end players, most here have gone with Oppo over Yamaha.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I bought one as a refurbish unit and I am happy with it. I also own an Oppo BD 105 for my HT set up. I prefer the Yamaha for 2 channel listening. It just sounds less digital to my ears, if that makes any sense.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Sorry, it doesn't.
It just sounds closer to my analog gear(turntable, reel to reel)
Overall, it is the best sounding CD player I have had in my two channel set up, which consists of a Prima Luna tube integrated. The Oppo is a great player, but sound thinner compared to my Yamaha with my current set up.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Apparently some people need them for SACD. Not sure if that and DVV-Audio are still a thing or how much different it sounds. Seems like a lot less hassle than vinyl but I don't know the difference in sound.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Apparently some people need them for SACD. Not sure if that and DVV-Audio are still a thing or how much different it sounds. Seems like a lot less hassle than vinyl but I don't know the difference in sound.
SACD is still vey alive. Some sound really good, while others aren't really any different than the CD. I just picked up Jeff Buckley Grace and it sounds fantastic. I also picked up Fleetwood Mac Rumors and Steely Dan AJA and it was okay, but my vinyl copies sound better to me. FWIW the AJA is a Cisco anniversary version and Rumors is 200 gram 45rpm version. Both sound really good(to me).

Overall, I like the format, but CD can sound pretty good too if recorded well.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I've owned this player for a while now and feel it is both a very capable player/DAC and is also exceedingly well-built. These don't seem to have much traction in the market at the moment and I haven't heard of many people running them. I realize they are on the expensive side, but my experience is that they are competitive with other units in this price range.

Anyone else using one?
I'm picking one up soon. Trying to decide on silver or black. I like black better on first impression, but am worried about oils and fingerprint transfer.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts