AVS Forum banner

741 - 760 of 1116 Posts

·
Premium Member
744 Posts
I think after I have had for a few weeks and everything sounds like I hope, I plan on selling my Emotiva XPA9 and replacing it with the Yamaha MX-A5200.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
For an alternate opinion regarding Surriound:AI mode, I find that I prefer it to Dolby Surround for some sources. In particular for movies/shows where there is lots of sound effects going on having Surround:AI on helps me hear/understand the dialog. I suspect that this is going to vary with room acoustics, speakers, and individual hearing (at 75, mine's not what it used to be).

However, for most music I do find that I prefer Dolby Surround for the reasons stated.
I agree.. Most films sound great in AI,, and the odd one better with dolby surround mode...

Nice to have the option..

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Thanks for feedback.. will look at making memory settings that I can add to my URC remote.

What speakers are you using with your setup? Any Atmos if so what crossover are you using for those. And yeah I currently us 80hz for L/R/C and 2 surrounds. and 110 for my 4 Atmos speakers.

My last speakers were dome tweeters and curious to see how these horn tweeters will sound with the Yamaha.

Thanks
I'm using paradigm for front 3.. Studio 60s and cc690

And 2 sub 15's, and 4 klipsch bookshelf speakers.. 2 for sides and 2 for rears... And klipsch rs42 from ceiking for front ceiling atmos and rear ceiling atmos..

All crossed at 80hz

·
Registered
6,268 Posts
Does anyone have Netflix playing back through the PreAmp successfully through a tv arc out?
Just tried with my Z9D. Didn't work. However, after "restarting" the Android operating system on the Z9D, the ARC works fine with Netflix and the 5200.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Baffled by Complicated Setup

Got my new Yamaha CX-A5200 (11 channel Atmos) pre/pro today. For amps, I'm using an old Onkyo TX-NR708 (7 channel) AVR for the traditional 7 channels and an old Denon AVR-3802 (7 channel) for the 4 Atmos speakers.

Yesterday, got a new Epson 6050, which worked fine with the Onkyo set up for 7.1.

I connected the Yamaha pre-outs to the respective analog RCA inputs in the Onkyo & Denon, i.e., Yamaha pre-out center to Onkyo center input, then speaker wires connected to center. On the Onkyo, was able to get "external input" on the display. Couldn't find such on Onkyo.

When I first turned on Yamaha, displayed fine on Epson. Ran the room correction, but only seemed to recognize the front left & right and maybe a couple of other speakers besides two subs which are directly connected to Yamaha. As I went to re-run room correction, everything went haywire. Just flashes of the Yamaha menu on-screen and the Epson frequently saying "Source: HDMI 1 not supported." Same for HDMI 2. The Epson would also make some odd noises (not the fan). Which it did the first few minutes after initial turn on yesterday.

Room correction had a variety of error messages. Not sure if Onkyo & Denon need some configuration or they auto sense what I'm trying to do. Any thoughts on fixing this setup? Thanks.

Yamaha

Onkyo

Denon

Attachments

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
did you try HDMI 1 on the per/pro?

Reactions: junior00027

·
Registered
435 Posts
did you try HDMI 1 on the per/pro?
I thought HDMI out on pre/pro was 1, but it was 2. I switched to 1 out on pre/pro and HDMI 1 in on PJ. Didn't help. Couldn't watch Blu-ray, which I watched earlier just using Onkyo. I ran the room correction again. See photos for results. Still says HDMI 1 not supported even though it worked during room correction. Display won't work for anything else.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
You do realize some of the pictures in post #3 are upside down? Stay calm...

A bit of low confidence input:

From the readouts on the front of the equipment it appears that the ONKYO is setup source to its audio from the L and R, DVD inputs, that is, stereo. The Denon appears to be setup to power whatever speakers are setup to be sourced from the presence/Atmos preouts on the Yamaha.

At a minimum it appears you need to configure the ONKYO to use all the DVD/Blu-Ray audio inputs.

You'll need to mess with the volume controls on the two AVR's so that the gains are similar, and in a range that is acceptable to the Yamaha for the YPAO process.

·
Registered
874 Posts
I can't see anything wrong with the set up except for the aforementioned Onkyo BD being set to stereo.

I have a similar setup with a Yamaha 3040 feeding a older Yamaha with the 4 height channels and it works flawlessly.

Have you tried the new Yamaha on its own - it may be faulty or the HDMI cable may be faulty. Especially considering the HDMI issue you have - it doesn't matter which HDMI OUT on the Yamaha and which HDMI IN on the projector the cable is connected to as long as the projector is selecting the correct HDMI IN as the source.

Also check the video settings on the BD to make sure it is compatible with the Yamaha and the projector.

·
Registered
787 Posts
As the others are saying, it looks like your Onkyo is not on the correct input. There should be a "Multi-Channel" input. I did a similar setup with an older Onkyo 805, and it worked out nice.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
I thought HDMI out on pre/pro was 1, but it was 2. I switched to 1 out on pre/pro and HDMI 1 in on PJ. Didn't help. Couldn't watch Blu-ray, which I watched earlier just using Onkyo. I ran the room correction again. See photos for results. Still says HDMI 1 not supported even though it worked during room correction. Display won't work for anything else.
Can your hdmi pass the full 18gig spec for 4k/60 HDR?

Yamaha by default will output lot of band width thru your cable.. In a advanced menu it's set to Mode1 for video out.. This passes everything...

If your cable is not upto snuff, change it to mode 2 in yamaha..

By memory, I Think with yamaha off, hold straight button and power button to enter advanced menu..

Then use arrow keys to navigate... And press ok /select button to change option... (I may be off )

Thrn power down yamaha after you select mode 2...
And see how things work... If stable.. Then your cable can't pass the full bandwidth...

If going over 25' hdmi, you need a active hdmi cable or fiber balun..

This is with a let's say a good audio quest hdmi... If over 25' and not active you will get flashes, no signal, specs etc...

Hope this helps...

Just check manual on yamaha how to get to advanced settings...

·
Vendor
26,699 Posts
If going over 25' hdmi, you need a active hdmi cable or fiber balun..

This is with a let's say a good audio quest hdmi... If over 25' and not active you will get flashes, no signal, specs etc...
Guys in another thread where talking about AQ Cinnamon Cables which they said they thoughts looked better then the Ruipro Cables I roll with now.

·
Registered
212 Posts
So I have a dilemma. A week ago I was on board to grab a CX-A5200, but the current deal I can get on a RX-A3080 new (to be used as a pre-pro) has me hesitating.

Some background, I've been running an RX-A3020 as a pre-pro since 2013, and it has served me well. Prior to that I had dedicated pre-pros (which I normally would prefer), but as good as the 3020 has been for me as a pre-pro with music, I'm not too bothered to pick up an RX-A3080. Also note, I'm temporarily running an RX-V2085 which eventually will be moved to my 2nd setup once I decide on either a 3080 or 5200.

My biggest reasons these days to go with a pre-pro are:

1. Lower power consumption overhead (I'm making the assumption the Aventage amps remain active when used as a pre-pro)
  2. Bragging rights maybe? :D

The previous me would have said that EMI matters to me so I'd want a pre-pro for that reason alone, but my positive experience with the 3020 in music really makes that concept irrelevant, as I would expect the 3080 to shine, taking into account that I'm even blown away by the overall performance of the 2085.

I believe that the 3080 doesn't use the same DACs for the presence/effect/Atmos channels, but I don't think that's really a concern or something I would probably notice anyway. So I'm leaning toward the RX-A3080 as I don't know if the difference I'd pay for the 5200 is worth it. The only thing that would nag at me for sure - based on what I know between the 3080 and the 5200 - is the power consumption thing as even with the 3020 that is something I think about when I fire up all my gear. Also note, I would have to grab another amp if I get the 5200 as I had gotten rid of one after getting the 3020 and used the internal amps for the presence channels, so that would actually increase the cost even more over what I can currently get the 3080 for. I have a few more days to decide.

So am I missing anything that should unquestionably sway me toward the 5200 instead?

·
Registered
956 Posts
For what it's worth, I was running my Rotel power amp with a very well regarded Pioneer Elite SC-57 (top of the line several years ago) as pre-amp and it sounded good. I recently added the Anthem AVM 60 (I know this is a Yamaha thread), and it seems, to me, to have lifted the sound quality level up a notch, especially in 2 channel stereo. Perhaps it's just placebo effect, and the 3080 is the newest flagship avr for Yamaha, but I think there is something to be said for each purpose built component adding to the whole system. By all accounts, the 5200 is a top notch performer, and if you can afford it, I would go that way.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Trigger

The Monoprice amps have a trigger in that specifies 3.3 - 24 VDC with a 3.5mm TS plug. The CX-A5200 has a trigger out that specifies 12V with a mono mini-plug cable. Volts match.

I can find plug adaptors on Monoprice, but not a cable. Most of the cables are labeled 1/8" or 1/4". I'm also not sure what cable I'm looking for based on the Yamaha manual. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
The Monoprice amps have a trigger in that specifies 3.3 - 24 VDC with a 3.5mm TS plug. The CX-A5200 has a trigger out that specifies 12V with a mono mini-plug cable. Volts match.

I can find plug adaptors on Monoprice, but not a cable. Most of the cables are labeled 1/8" or 1/4". I'm also not sure what cable I'm looking for based on the Yamaha manual. Thanks.

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=644

·
Premium Member
2,639 Posts

I use a 1/8" plug (which is the same as a 3.5mm plug?) cable from my 5200 to my Outlaw Audio 7900 and from the 7900 to the 7700.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Can't get CX-A5200 setup

Finally got my amp, Monoprice 11 Channel, and got everything hooked up with XLRs. After all the anticipation, the firecracker (CX-A5200) was a dud. I'm certain everything is hooked up right, all the other equipment was already tested OK with my old receiver. I do get test tones from all 11 speakers & 2 subs (7.2.4), so guess the amp is working OK.

Started with YPAO. Please see pictures for error messages and setting results (they attached here out of order). The fixed test tones were very low volume. While some distance measurements were OK (LCR), most of the rest were completely wacky. After setting speakers up manually, put in a movie and got zip--no audio, no video. You can see the Yamaha recognized the Panasonic Blu-ray and HDMI 1 & 2 are going out to the Epson 6050 HDMI 1 & 2. What am I doing wrong? Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
Finally got my amp, Monoprice 11 Channel, and got everything hooked up with XLRs. After all the anticipation, the firecracker (CX-A5200) was a dud. I'm certain everything is hooked up right, all the other equipment was already tested OK with my old receiver. I do get test tones from all 11 speakers & 2 subs (7.2.4), so guess the amp is working OK.

Started with YPAO. Please see pictures for error messages and setting results (they attached here out of order). The fixed test tones were very low volume. While some distance measurements were OK (LCR), most of the rest were completely wacky. After setting speakers up manually, put in a movie and got zip--no audio, no video. You can see the Yamaha recognized the Panasonic Blu-ray and HDMI 1 & 2 are going out to the Epson 6050 HDMI 1 & 2. What am I doing wrong? Thanks.
You have all the switches on the Monolith inputs set to XLR, correct?

741 - 760 of 1116 Posts