AVS Forum banner

801 - 820 of 1116 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,639 Posts
Well-I'm not sure what the issue is, but the work around seems to be setting the HDMI out on the 5200 to "Off" if you want to listen to a music only source.
Nor am I. I ran some additional tests (with only a Blu-ray and the 203 this time) and with the TV turned off and the 5200's HDMI out set to it I still got sound. When I switched the 5200's HDMI out to my projector which was turned off it said it switched but it didn't show that HDMI 2 out was enabled. So apparently the projector is in a state where the 5200 won't output to it. Not so the Sony TV (of course, it normally never really turns off unless you force it to).

·
Registered
3,315 Posts
Anyone pairing their CX-A5200 pre-pro with the new MX-A5200 11-channel amp...?

Looking to see if Yamaha still makes their amps cut the power rating to each speaker after it detects more than 5 speakers connected.

And how their new Bridge-Tied Load works for sending 200 Watts to each of the two front speakers.

·
Premium Member
1,769 Posts
Anyone audition the Yamaha 5200 (or even 5100) against the Marantz 8805 (or 8802, or even 7705/7702, etc.)...?
I was coming from a Integra DHC 80.3 I was very happy with but because they removed Audyssey I decided to let the following units go head to head to see which one I liked. I thought the 8802 was going to be hands down winner. What I found was that I don't like Audyssey and that to me the 8802 was way overpriced.

I auditioned the Yamaha 5100, Marantz 8802A, 7702mkII, Anthem AVM60 and Emotiva XMC1.

Of the above units I thought the Yamaha & Emotiva were the only ones that left the sound intact. The Marantz units or Audyssey added to much fake effect and crushed the high end. The Anthem also killed the high end.

I thought the Emotiva did a great job but at that time had to many bugs and the Yammy worked flawlessly.

My room is dedicated and treated so consider that.

Hopefully that helps and I don't think much has changed sound wise on these newer units to change my opinion.

·
Registered
735 Posts
I seem to be having an issue accessing the web interface on my 5200. In the past it worked but seemed a little flaky. I unplugged my 5200, router and switch but still not coming up. It works fine with musiccast so I know it has network access. I have verified that I am using the correct IP address. Currently it just times out. Has anyone had similar issues?

Thanks
Did you check if your IP address on 5200 changed?
So the web server setup on the 5200 doesn't allow you to really do anything. Basically have to use the phone app to do everything outside of the regular remote.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Netflix - amazon video arc

I just pulled the trigger on the cx-5200 preamp. I should have it this weekend. I am in the process of configuring my Logitech remote. However, I'm confused about one thing. For example, you have a HTPC hooked up to the Yamaha (for Movies Only), you have the ARC in from the TV going to the Yamaha ARC out so you can watch Amazon Videos & Netflix. Do you have to set anything else on the Yamaha? How does the Yamaha know what's actually playing? How does the Yamaha distinguish between the a movie playing from your HTPC or Netflix? I mean, I can't set Netflix to another HDMI input...I hope this makes sense.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Did you check if your IP address on 5200 changed?
So the web server setup on the 5200 doesn't allow you to really do anything. Basically have to use the phone app to do everything outside of the regular remote.
Yes, I checked the IP and am using the correct one. I was able to access it previously although it was very slow at times. My experience with the web setup was that you can adjust nearly everything including PEQ settings.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
That would be great as I plan to listen to CDs as well as watch movies. While I can workaround this with the coax & optical ports, be nice to know if something's broken. Thanks.
Did you turn the HDMI outs off on the 5200 and see if that works for you?

·
Registered
434 Posts
That would be great as I plan to listen to CDs as well as watch movies. While I can workaround this with the coax & optical ports, be nice to know if something's broken. Thanks.
Did you turn the HDMI outs off on the 5200 and see if that works for you?
I'll have to get the manual out. Why would one need to turn them off?

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
I listed the results of my testing in post 796. I can only get audio CD's to play with only HDMI connection if I turn the HDMI out to my projector off. I quoted you, but I never saw that you responded.

·
Registered
434 Posts
I listed the results of my testing in post 796. I can only get audio CD's to play if I turn the HDMI out to my projector off. I quoted you, but I never saw that you responded.
I was out of town for a few days. Page 63 of the manual sort of says TV has to be on. Guess need workaround such as using coax or optical or turning HDMI out off. Never had that issue with Denon or Onkyo AVRs.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
I was out of town for a few days. Page 63 of the manual sort of says TV has to be on. Guess need workaround such as using coax or optical or turning HDMI out off. Never had that issue with Denon or Onkyo AVRs.
In my setup it's only my JVC projector that seems to cause the no audio issue. (Unless I turn the HDMI output to it off) My Sony TV can be off and I can still play an audio CD.

·
Registered
434 Posts
In my setup it's only my JVC projector that seems to cause the no audio issue. (Unless I turn the HDMI output to it off) My Sony TV can be off and I can still play an audio CD.
I've only tried it, and failed, with the Epson projector.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts

·
Registered
6,267 Posts
I just pulled the trigger on the cx-5200 preamp. I should have it this weekend. I am in the process of configuring my Logitech remote. However, I'm confused about one thing. For example, you have a HTPC hooked up to the Yamaha (for Movies Only), you have the ARC in from the TV going to the Yamaha ARC out so you can watch Amazon Videos & Netflix. Do you have to set anything else on the Yamaha? How does the Yamaha know what's actually playing? How does the Yamaha distinguish between the a movie playing from your HTPC or Netflix? I mean, I can't set Netflix to another HDMI input...I hope this makes sense.
The cx-a5200 owners manual is available at the following: https://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio_visual/av_receivers_amps/cx-a5200_u/downloads.html

You can download it and have a head start before receipt of the actual product.

There are many, many setup options where you can deviate from "defaults". After going through the manual, I had around 2 full single spaced pages of notes on how I wanted to setup for my specific needs/configurations.

Both the configuration of the Logitech and initial setup of the Yamaha will require that you select "inputs" (AV1-7) for any outboard components. You can then "tell" the Yamaha (via the input selection on the remote) where you want it to go for the audio/video.

Beyond the above, I can't provide any short, simple answers to your broad question. Suggest you start with the owners manual.

·
Registered
180 Posts
The cx-a5200 owners manual is available at the following: https://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio_visual/av_receivers_amps/cx-a5200_u/downloads.html

You can download it and have a head start before receipt of the actual product.

There are many, many setup options where you can deviate from "defaults". After going through the manual, I had around 2 full single spaced pages of notes on how I wanted to setup for my specific needs/configurations.

Both the configuration of the Logitech and initial setup of the Yamaha will require that you select "inputs" (AV1-7) for any outboard components. You can then "tell" the Yamaha (via the input selection on the remote) where you want it to go for the audio/video.

Beyond the above, I can't provide any short, simple answers to your broad question. Suggest you start with the owners manual.
I already have the manual and have read it for days. There is nothing there about how to configure Netflix. As far as hooking it up from 1 to 7 HDMI ins, that doesn't make any sense. That's what ARC is there for.

·
Premium Member
2,639 Posts
I already have the manual and have read it for days. There is nothing there about how to configure Netflix. As far as hooking it up from 1 to 7 HDMI ins, that doesn't make any sense. That's what ARC is there for.
Be warned, using ARC requires that you enable CEC and that can result in unexpected operations/control of your devices. As an example I can't enable CEC on any of my systems without inputs changing and devices turning off/on unexpectedly. I use Pronto remotes to control all of my systems/devices and really can't tolerate the 'help' CEC provides.

You may not experience any of the problems I do, but just thought it would be good for you to be warned.

Reactions: mik2h

·
Vendor
26,676 Posts
Anyone audition the Yamaha 5200 (or even 5100) against the Marantz 8805 (or 8802, or even 7705/7702, etc.)...?
Those are all great units, I bet if you got a pro calibrator in your home I would not be shocked if he could make all these units sound the same if not very similar.

·
Registered
786 Posts

From my experience with a Yamaha 3080, Pioneer 901, and Onkyo RZ900, you had to turn on CEC in all of the processors. I assume my TV already had it on, but you might want to check and see if there is an on or off for it. As soon as I changed to an app on the TV, the input on the receivers would switch to 'TV' automatically and play any audio coming from my TV app.

I would assume the 5200 would behave the same way since it's very similar to the 3080.

·
Registered
6,267 Posts
You are the one that said "you have a HTPC hooked up to the Yamaha (for Movies Only), you have the ARC in from the TV going to the Yamaha ARC out so you can watch Amazon Videos". I said any "outboard component" (i.e., your HTPC (presume it's not built into your TV, :)) needs to be hooked up to AV 1-7. I said nothing about your display's netflix app needing to be connected via HDMI to AV 1-7! Since I "don't make any sense", I won't bother telling you how to select an ARC input for your display's netflix.

Maybe what doesn't make sense is your purchase of the Yamaha CX-A5200!

801 - 820 of 1116 Posts