AVS Forum banner

821 - 840 of 1116 Posts

·
Registered
6,268 Posts
You're not worth a cohesive response. Take care, brush your hair!
I gave you a "like" because I thought "Take care, brush your hair" was cute. It reminds me of something one of my younger grandchildren would say!

Reactions: bwillcox

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
I know that with my Epson projector and the cx-a5200, I can indeed play music without projector on..
I make sure all ARC CEC is turned off in both projector and yamaha AND any sources... Like BluRay player, cable box etc...

I use hdmi via zidoo media player and also have sonos port(using digital coax) to play music with projector off..

So on the bright side, it's possible, and if people can't get this to work without tv/projector on, then issue is elsewhere.. And at least you know it's possible..

·
Registered
3,315 Posts
Yes. Anything specifically you are looking to know?

I've owned 7703, 7704, Yamaha 5100 and 3080 (among older Yamaha models, Anthem AVM 60, various Onkyo AVRs).

General feeling is that I prefer Yamaha over Marantz. And I'm not a fan of Audyssey XT32 (good for subs only imo).

Never owned 8802 or 8805 but based on independent measurements the 8805 is nothing special in the audio dept.

As a "general rule" it is said that the Yamaha sounds more "detailed" and the Marantz sounds more "smooth"...

Does that hold true in your experience...?

·
Premium Member
3,071 Posts
As a "general rule" it is said that the Yamaha sounds more "detailed" and the Marantz sounds more "smooth"...

Does that hold true in your experience...?
Marantz rolls off high frequencies by design to give it a bit warmer sound.

In the Yamaha you can change the Dac filter to emulate that sound. I believe it is called slow roll off iirc.

Might not get you all the way there but close. You can EQ the rest if you really wanted.

·
Premium Member
744 Posts
Okay need some help just hooked up my MX5200 to the CX5200 and everything works but the Front L/R. I have the XLR plugged into Ch 3 and set to Bal and have my speaker cables in Ch 3 B and no sound.
Tried a different cables and no difference so I move the Amp Assign switch pm Ch 4 over to Ch 3 and I get sound out of L/R but nothing out of the Front Presence which is Ch 4.
Also they sound coming out of the L/R is not good, not much clarity or volume as compared to the Center Chanel and with the previous Emotiva Amp I was using.

Anybody got any ideas? Everything else was easy to figure out just can't get the L/R sorted out.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
Okay need some help just hooked up my MX5200 to the CX5200 and everything works but the Front L/R. I have the XLR plugged into Ch 3 and set to Bal and have my speaker cables in Ch 3 B and no sound.
Tried a different cables and no difference so I move the Amp Assign switch pm Ch 4 over to Ch 3 and I get sound out of L/R but nothing out of the Front Presence which is Ch 4.
Also they sound coming out of the L/R is not good, not much clarity or volume as compared to the Center Chanel and with the previous Emotiva Amp I was using.

Anybody got any ideas? Everything else was easy to figure out just can't get the L/R sorted out.

Thanks
I don't own an MX, but here's the recommended hookup for the MX5200/CX5200. If this is how you already have things hooked up, I'm not sure what the issue might be.

https://usa.yamaha.com/files/download/other_assets/5/1238115/web_CX-A5200_MX-A5200_ce_UCRABGLEVFPS_EnFrEsPtRu_A0.pdf

Reactions: rustolemite

·
Premium Member
1,773 Posts
The Amp has XLR/RCA & Bridge switches. Do you have it on the right setting based on your cables?

The top & Botttom row of switches should all be left. The middle should all be right.

Reactions: rustolemite

·
Premium Member
744 Posts
Thanks for help but looks like the Amps that drive Ch. 3 L/R are both dead. I can plug the speakers into any other input and they work.
I can use the bridge on Ch. 4 and they work, tried bypassing the XLR connection using single AV and moving switch to Unbal and still now sound/power.
This leave me thinking that the amps for that Ch. are completely dead, I would guess maybe in shipping. That's the only downside of buying big heavy stuff online.
Called Crutchfield and sending back for a full refund. Will just stick my Emotiva XPA 9 Gen3 for the future.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
744 Posts
Okay have a dumb question but when using the Nvidia Shield and watching either Netflix or Hulu, if I pause and click to another input then come back to the Shield input its like the Netflix-Hulu apps have crashed like they lost connection to the internet.
I don't remember having this trouble with my Marantz 7704, does it have something to do with the HDMI handshake when changing inputs?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
make sure cec power isnt on on shield or the cx a5200 prepro. Sounds like you are indeed loosing hdmi handshake info but perhaps power is just being toggled.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
112 Posts
Okay have a dumb question but when using the Nvidia Shield and watching either Netflix or Hulu, if I pause and click to another input then come back to the Shield input its like the Netflix-Hulu apps have crashed like they lost connection to the internet.
I don't remember having this trouble with my Marantz 7704, does it have something to do with the HDMI handshake when changing inputs?

Thanks
Yes sounds like you're using HDMI handshake. This happens when you have a bad HDMI cable. Or could be because you're regularly plugging and unplugging the cable that resulted to it being affected by HDMI handshake.

·
Premium Member
744 Posts
Yes sounds like you're using HDMI handshake. This happens when you have a bad HDMI cable. Or could be because you're regularly plugging and unplugging the cable that resulted to it being affected by HDMI handshake.
Under Power control on the Shield everything is turned off.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi, I am a new member here - I believe referred to as a "noob"? Perhaps that term is no longer in common use, but being a noob, I wouldn't know... :cool:

In any case, I have just acquired and done initial setup on my spanking new CX-A5200... and can't seem to locate a feature which I have a hard time believing doesn't exist.

With my Oppo-105 (my previous "pre/pro"), there was a special way of enabling ".1" information to be sent to the "Sub/LFE" output - specifically from "2.0" sources, like a normal audio CD.

With the CX-A5200, there seems to be NO information being sent to the Sub output when I am playing "2.0" material, and no amount of wading through a lot of menus has come up with a solution. Grrr.

To be clear, there is no problem with the sub [configuration] itself - it is there, and it works - either with the "Test Tone" function, or with actual "5.1" material.

But just not with "normal" music... hopefully, I have missed whatever trick is required here.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thanks! Thinking about it, sure, this would have the effect of forcing the configuration to "2.1"... however, I will need yet another trick, as I have Magneplanars ("Maggies") as my fronts - and the recommendation there for using with subs is to still feed the full signal to the Maggies.
The Oppo had the same issue - the logic to activate the ".1" processing needed the fronts to be set to Small - but a specific mode was provided that allowed you to have your cake (or sub) and eat it too. :)
Finally, this may be moot... I found that turning on the "11-Channel Stereo" processing does activate the ".1" output with "2.0" input - but only if Straight and Pure Direct modes are off.
I think I am getting no/minimal "extra" processing in this case, but any additional info on this would be welcome.

·
Premium Member
3,071 Posts
There is another feature in the options screen to enable something called "extra bass". The options screen you pull up when playing something - not the setup screen.

In almost all cases you would not want to enable this but you may have a legit reason. I know little to nothing about magies.

I'm not in front of the computer so I can't be more specific at the moment.

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
Hi, I am a new member here - I believe referred to as a "noob"? Perhaps that term is no longer in common use, but being a noob, I wouldn't know... :cool:

In any case, I have just acquired and done initial setup on my spanking new CX-A5200... and can't seem to locate a feature which I have a hard time believing doesn't exist.

With my Oppo-105 (my previous "pre/pro"), there was a special way of enabling ".1" information to be sent to the "Sub/LFE" output - specifically from "2.0" sources, like a normal audio CD.

With the CX-A5200, there seems to be NO information being sent to the Sub output when I am playing "2.0" material, and no amount of wading through a lot of menus has come up with a solution. Grrr.

To be clear, there is no problem with the sub [configuration] itself - it is there, and it works - either with the "Test Tone" function, or with actual "5.1" material.

But just not with "normal" music... hopefully, I have missed whatever trick is required here.
There is another feature in the options screen to enable something called "extra bass". The options screen you pull up when playing something - not the setup screen.

In almost all cases you would not want to enable this but you may have a legit reason. I know little to nothing about magies.

I'm not in front of the computer so I can't be more specific at the moment.
I use the "Extra Bass" setting in my setup, and it works fine. Seems to be the same as the "Both" setting on my previous RX-Z11. Seems crazy to set my mains to "Small" since they are Definitive Technology BP7000's!

Reactions: bwillcox

·
Premium Member
2,639 Posts
I use the "Extra Bass" setting in my setup, and it works fine. Seems to be the same as the "Both" setting on my previous RX-Z11. Seems crazy to set my mains to "Small" since they are Definitive Technology BP7000's!
I likewise will use the extra bass setting on my systems with mains that have response to 20 Hz...why not?

·
Premium Member
3,071 Posts
I likewise will use the extra bass setting on my systems with mains that have response to 20 Hz...why not?
I too have mains that play down to 18hz with as much authority as my subwoofers and I only use them full range when listening to stereo music without subwoofers.

Based on placement of your speakers and subwoofers it's unlikely the bass signals will sum properly without additional adjustments. Usually you'll create cancellation in the bass frequencies when multiple speakers play the same bass frequencies without proper setup.

But if you took the time to measure to ensure bass frequencies actually sum instead of cancel (across the entire listening area) then by all means go for it (if you want the extra bass). I'd wager in many setups it'll lead to a negative effect and not a positive one.

821 - 840 of 1116 Posts