·
Premium Member
1,745 Posts
I don't believe it does MQA.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
I don't believe it does MQA.
Thanks.. I guess a external MQA supported DAC is required then. Wired RCA or toslink to the yammy. MQA media player>>MQA DAC>>Yamaha 5200..
Trying to decide on three DAC’s. Anyone had any experience on these?

Audioquest Dragonfly Cobalt
IFI ione
Pro-ject pre-box S2

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Anyone have any news about the 2020 Yamaha receiver and pre-pro models?

·
Premium Member
1,745 Posts
Anyone that has gone from a 5100 to 5200...Can you tell me the main differences and if it was worth the upgrade?

Faster GUI? 4k HDR?

Better Sound?

Anything else?

·
Registered
179 Posts
Anyone that has gone from a 5100 to 5200...Can you tell me the main differences and if it was worth the upgrade?

Faster GUI? 4k HDR?

Better Sound?

Anything else?
Looks it has few flaws which came out when measuring it, Yamaha can´t fix them on this model. Nothing that would ruin it audible, but you still know it does not measure as good as earlier model(s). Please read the whole review with measurements.
https://www.audioholics.com/av-preamp-processor-reviews/yamaha-cx-a5200-mx-a5200

·
Premium Member
1,745 Posts
Thanks for the link.

·
Registered
2,281 Posts

Faster GUI? 4k HDR?

Better Sound?

Anything else?

Mostly the progress was in reverse.

o The front HDMI input was removed.

o The opamps in the filter circuit after the DAC IC were changed to much lower cost, older units. The effect is unclear, but see below.

o The ESS DAC IC was upgraded to a better model, but the Yamaha uses these DAC IC's in voltage output mode instead of current output mode. Current output mode would require more circuitry. While the reader may not understand this explanation, the likelihood that this sort of implementation makes the S/N ratio worse by 6dB to 8dB should make it clearer. The opamp changes above may have made this situation worse since the bias current requirement is higher for the new units, which may slightly affect the DAC.

o A plus is that an IC that allows the new unit to support eARC was added. This the same IC used by Denon/Marantz.

o Per memory, the list price was increased by $100.

New Product Introduction:

Yamaha has often introduced new AVR's and AVP's at or around the time of CEDIA. For 2020 CEDIA is in Denver from September 8 - 12. While CEDIA appears to be aimed at home theaters, or audio around the house, most of the big audio companies are typically there is force, plus TV's, trucks to use in your AV business, etc. Yamaha, Denon/Marantz, Harmon, Emotiva, KEF, etc. It's a worthwhile show. Free tickets from various vendors are available with a small bit of searching. Unlike say Rocky Mountain, all the high-end folks, except perhaps Audioquest, generally aren't there, which is good in IMO. It's nice to not have to carry a shovel when walking a show.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Frustrated with having to re-start 5200

I'm having a problem since I purchased this unit. Every single time I turn on my 5200 and my sources (no matter what they may be)
I always have to re-start the 5200 or it does not engage the external speakers. Only sound will come from the TV.
What's going on? I think I have all seeings correct. As soon as I re-start the 5200, all works perfect.

·
Premium Member
2,638 Posts
I'm having a problem since I purchased this unit. Every single time I turn on my 5200 and my sources (no matter what they may be)
I always have to re-start the 5200 or it does not engage the external speakers. Only sound will come from the TV.
What's going on? I think I have all seeings correct. As soon as I re-start the 5200, all works perfect.
Are you using ARC? I ask simply because I've never been able to successfully use ARC in my systems.

·
Premium Member
2,638 Posts
Yes I am. It seems to work well.
Well, given my experience with ARC (actually the required CEC that goes with it), I'd be suspicious of CEC causing problems.

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
I use ARC with a LG OLED and I turn on the LG first and it turns on the Yamaha. Then the preamp turns on the amp.

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
It works perfect. I use all Blue Jean HDMI cables, nothing expensive, and always turn on the LG first. The preamp comes on then turns on the amp with a 12v trigger. Works every time.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Just got the 5200. Everything works great. Just one small question. On the 5000, the current codec is shown on the front display, like DTS, DD, PCM, etc. Shows me at a glance what the preamp is processing.

On the 5200, it just shows AV2/Straight. Is there a way to make the front display show the codec of the audio stream?

·
Registered
80 Posts
The last few Yamaha AVRs I have had show the audio codec after pressing the info button on the remote, but I have a 3050, not a 5200.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,638 Posts
The last few Yamaha AVRs I have had show the audio codec after pressing the info button on the remote, but I have a 3050, not a 5200.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It works the same. Press the info button till you see what you are looking for.

·
Premium Member
2,638 Posts
I don’t see the info button on my new 5200 remote! Please tell me it’s there and I am just not seeing it.
Well I must confess that I never actually use the remote for my 5200 and looking at the picture of it (I'm not neat it currently) I can see you delemma. They have left off that button. I'm afraid I can't help since my Pronto universal remote still has it programmed to a button (i.e., it still works if you can send the right code for it).

901 - 920 of 1116 Posts