Registered
388 Posts

·
Registered
2,629 Posts

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
It appears to be inching it's way back up, so maybe they are just reducing inventory. I know when they cleared out the MX-A5000's a couple months ago, the price reduction was even larger.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Cool! I'm enjoying mine. What amps are you using?
I've been using an Emotiva RPA-2 (one of their earlier reference 2-channel amps) and an Emotiva XPA-5 (gen 1) for the last 12 years or so. I'll need to get another 2-channel amp as I plan to run 5.2.4.

It appears to be inching it's way back up, so maybe they are just reducing inventory. I know when they cleared out the MX-A5000's a couple months ago, the price reduction was even larger.
I'm tempted to try out the MX-A500 amp now that I have a 5200 on the way. I haven't had Yamaha separates since the late 90s/early 2000s (MX-800U and an MX-600U, both stereo amps). Wish I hadn't sold them. One of them would'a come in handy now.

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
I've been using an Emotiva RPA-2 (one of their earlier reference 2-channel amps) and an Emotiva XPA-5 (gen 1) for the last 12 years or so. I'll need to get another 2-channel amp as I plan to run 5.2.4.

I'm tempted to try out the MX-A500 amp now that I have a 5200 on the way. I haven't had Yamaha separates since the late 90s/early 2000s (MX-800U and an MX-600U, both stereo amps). Wish I hadn't sold them. One of them would'a come in handy now.
There are still a few retailers that have stock on the MX-A5000's. It's replacement is the MX-A5200, which is pretty much the same except you can bridge the main channels. No deals on the 5200 anywhere however, so the 5000 is a better value.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I also jumped on the 5200 recently due to Amazon's price drop. Running it with an Emotiva SA-250 amp with a pair of Focal 936 that I got over Christmas. Was previously using a Denon 3310ci receiver's pre-out with the Emotiva amp. But I just felt the Denon isn't bringing out the best for the Focals and SA-250.

With the 5200, the sound stage feels fuller, and the bass feels much more satisfying. It also has a more 'precise' feel to it. I am enjoying the new sound a lot! (The difference was most noticeable when I initially turned on the yamaha, as my ear has gotten use to the previous sound). It felt less dramatic afterwards. ;)

I feel if Denon's weakness were due to amplification, I would've had an easier time understanding it. But it seems to be due to processing, which is a bit puzzling to me. Being a computer guy, it doesn't seem like it should be that complicated to decode a PCM signal and send a good signal to the amplifier. Why would the Denon show such obvious weakness in low midrange and bass performance? Why is it so hard to get this right? (FYI this is without using Audyssey or YPAO, straight pure direct mode).

·
Registered
435 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
So I went to my local store to pick up a bluetooth adapter (same Big Box store that has a specialty section of the Magnolioideae family where I ordered my CX-A5200, price matched from that place where a certain breed of warrior women are from), and the cashier scans my Big Box membership card and tells me that my "receiver" arrived and was ready for pick up. My original pick up date was Feb 6th. I went wide-eyed at about the same time that I smirked when she said "receiver", so hopefully she didn't pick up on my apparent elite snottiness from once again becoming a separates owner.

Should be a fairly quick swap since it's replacing a RX-A3080. And for now I'm going to screenshot the back-end browser "/setup/" speaker settings and just copy them to the 5200. I realize this isn't a true YPAO calibration, but it'll get me by for now until I can get a quiet house to run YPAO.

There are still a few retailers that have stock on the MX-A5000's. It's replacement is the MX-A5200, which is pretty much the same except you can bridge the main channels. No deals on the 5200 anywhere however, so the 5000 is a better value.

Great tip, thanks! I never thought to check that there might still be some 5000's still out there, or even 5100s for that matter.

I also jumped on the 5200 recently due to Amazon's price drop. Running it with an Emotiva SA-250 amp with a pair of Focal 936 that I got over Christmas. Was previously using a Denon 3310ci receiver's pre-out with the Emotiva amp. But I just felt the Denon isn't bringing out the best for the Focals and SA-250.

With the 5200, the sound stage feels fuller, and the bass feels much more satisfying. It also has a more 'precise' feel to it. I am enjoying the new sound a lot! (The difference was most noticeable when I initially turned on the yamaha, as my ear has gotten use to the previous sound). It felt less dramatic afterwards. ;)

I feel if Denon's weakness were due to amplification, I would've had an easier time understanding it. But it seems to be due to processing, which is a bit puzzling to me. Being a computer guy, it doesn't seem like it should be that complicated to decode a PCM signal and send a good signal to the amplifier. Why would the Denon show such obvious weakness in low midrange and bass performance? Why is it so hard to get this right? (FYI this is without using Audyssey or YPAO, straight pure direct mode).
I hear ya. I've been a long time Yamaha user and owned two of the earlier flagship models before Aventage. While I loved Yamaha for HT back then (this was also before YPAO), I was never really happy with them for music so I kept a separate 2-channel setup. But I went on a quest about 10 years ago to marry HT and music into a single setup, and eventually settled on a Marantz AV7005 pre-pro. I thought that was the end-all, be-all one-box solution. Then I heard about Aventage and became curious after reading rave reviews, so I tried out an RX-A3010. I was so blown away not just by the HT performance, but also the 2-channel music performance. YPAO really made a difference over manual calibration with the older flagships I had previously. I didn't hesitate to keep it over the AV7005, and I haven't looked away from Aventage since. I really feel like the Aventage units bring out the details, while still sounding full like you said, and never too sharp or bright, which is what people used to complain about with Yamaha (myself among them).

I soon replaced the 3010 with a 3020 (for the Dialog Volume feature), and more recently grabbed an RX-A3080 last summer. While I didn't really think there was much difference in performance between the 3010 and 3020, I am totally blown away once again with the 3080. I feel like YPAO has improved significantly, and maybe Surround:AI really is making a substantial difference as it seems like the sound field is more pronounced, particularly with the subtle details. I went through a similar upgrade path for the mancave where I run similar speakers. I had a Marantz SR6005 used as a pre-pro and now it's Aventage in there as well. But back to the 5200 and the main room. I don't think I'll notice a difference in sound over the 3080, but the price was just too good to pass on.

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
So I went to my local store to pick up a bluetooth adapter (same Big Box store specialty section of the Magnolioideae family where I ordered my CX-A5200, price matched from that place where a certain breed of warrior women are from), and the cashier scans my Big Box membership card and tells me that my "receiver" arrived and was ready for pick up. My original pick up date was Feb 6th. I went wide-eyed at about the same time that I smirked when she said "receiver", so hopefully she didn't pick up on my apparent elite snottiness from once again becoming a separates owner.

Should be a fairly quick swap since it's replacing a RX-A3080. And for now I'm going to screenshot the back-end browser "/setup/" speaker settings and just copy them to the 5200. I realize this isn't a true YPAO calibration, but it'll get me by for now until I can get a quiet house to run YPAO.

Great tip, thanks! I never thought to check that there might still be some 5000's still out there, or even 5100s for that matter.
As far as the "MX" amps are concerned, there has only been the MX-A5000 that was originally paired with the CX-A5000, and then was carried over to pair with the CX-A5100. The MX-A5200 replaced it and is paired with the current CX-A5200. There never was an MX-A5100 amp, only the CX-A5100 Pre-Pro.

·
Registered
208 Posts
But back to the 5200 and the main room. I don't think I'll notice a difference in sound over the 3080, but the price was just too good to pass on.
The price was very good. Glad I wasn't the only one who jumped on it. :)

I am curious about the difference between the 5200 and the 3080 when using an external amp. If you have both, I am interested to hear your thoughts. I am using XLR cable.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
The big river just dumped the price, so I wonder if a successor is on the way?
I pounced on it last week. Well, at least I got my local dealer to match. Pick up is on 2/6. :cool:
Holy Christ...that's almost $1000 off.
I paid $2100 and that's because it was transshipped.

I am curious about the difference between the 5200 and the 3080 when using an external amp. If you have both, I am interested to hear your thoughts. I am using XLR cable.
Thank you for this thread. Went to my local bb. Got mines exactly 45 days ago from today. Just made the last day of return. So they priced matched and credit the difference back to my cc. Insurance got cheaper too.. lol
Btw, loving this processor so far. Movies are great. Really like the AI mode in combo with ATMOS and DTSX. But gotta listen to this bad boy in action in 2 channel music.

·
Registered
212 Posts
As far as the "MX" amps are concerned, there has only been the MX-A5000 that was originally paired with the CX-A5000, and then was carried over to pair with the CX-A5100. The MX-A5200 replaced it and is paired with the current CX-A5200. There never was an MX-A5100 amp, only the CX-A5100 Pre-Pro.

Thanks. That was admittedly an assumption on my part that the MX-A model numbers matched their respective CX-A counterparts.

I'm using RCA, but coincidentally I had to swap one out that went bad on me when I fired up my gear earlier tonight. Thus, I was contemplating breaking out my XLRs that have been collecting dust since my last pre-pro from nearly 10 years ago when I hook up the 5200.

I don't have the means to do a side-by-side comparison, so for what it's worth any input I have will be purely from memory. And if I do deciede to run XLR, I'll try RCA first as that'd be a more justified comparison I think, even if it's from memory. But honestly I'm not expecting to hear a difference being that I was running an RX-V2085 (consumer version of the RX-A2080) as a pre-pro for about 3 weeks before I got the 3080. I didn't really notice much of a difference between them, unlike when I replaced my RX-A3020 with the RX-V2085 which was a significant step up (even if the RX-V series doesn't have the 5th foot ;)). The 2085 is in the mancave now with similar but lower powered external amps and bookshelf versions of the speakers I have in the main room. Between the 2 models I'm equally happy being in one room or the other.

If I have a fear, it's that somehow, just maybe the 5200 will floor me even more, and then I'll have to buy a 2nd one for the mancave lol.

·
Premium Member
2,639 Posts

I have systems with both the 5200 and the 3080 in them. Their location, speakers, room size, etc. are very different so I can't honestly give you a side-by-side comparison. I like both, but the room with my 5200 is considerably larger and has both an Outlaw Audio 7900 for the bed channels and a 7700 for the presence channels, with newer and better speakers. With all that as a caveat, I can say that for critical listening I always go to the larger room with the 5200 system.

Note that my 3080 uses two Outlaw Audio 2200s monoblocks for its front L&R channels.

I use XLR cables for all channels on the 5200 as well as for the Front L&R on the 3080.

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
Just an FYI for those of you hooking up your CX-A5200's. There's a flaw on the 5200 where using the XLR's on the main L&R channels causes the output voltage VS distortion to increase quite a bit. Maybe not an audible amount, but showed up when it was tested by Gene DellaSala at Audioholics. Gene contacted Yamaha when he found this, and Yamaha confirmed his measurements and discovered the culprit to this increased distortion had something to do with how the volume control IC interacts with the XLR outputs. This is something they plan to resolve in future models but cannot make a hardware change to this current model. Gene recommends using RCA's on the main L&R channels as a work around.

https://www.audioholics.com/av-preamp-processor-reviews/cx-a5200-mx-a5200

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Just an FYI for those of you hooking up your CX-A5200's. There's a flaw on the 5200 where using the XLR's on the main L&R channels causes the output voltage VS distortion to increase quite a bit. Maybe not an audible amount, but showed up when it was tested by Gene DellaSala at Audioholics. Gene contacted Yamaha when he found this, and Yamaha confirmed his measurements and discovered the culprit to this increased distortion had something to do with how the volume control IC interacts with the XLR outputs. This is something they plan to resolve in future models but cannot make a hardware change to this current model. Gene recommends using RCA's on the main L&R channels as a work around.

I read that too before I made the purchase. Maybe it’s there, but I can’t hear anything. I already listen to quite a few music cd’s at reference in 2 channel with no fatigue. A few which focus on vocals, acoustic guitar, acoustic drums, sax, flugelhorn, and even the ukulele. Yes, maybe the distortion is there but like I said, IMO I can’t hear a thing. Though, I’ll give the rca connect a try if there’s a difference. My pro amps has a feature to change the input sensitivity to .775v for rca connections.

L/R speakers- JTR Noesis 215RT rated @ 4 ohms
2 X Crown XLS 2502 Drivecore amps each bridge per speaker

·
Premium Member
2,639 Posts

Well, I use XLR connections for all 11 of my channels on my 5200 and haven't perceived any noticeable distortion so I personally don't worry about it. :)

Reactions: promike

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
Well, I use XLR connections for all 11 of my channels on my 5200 and haven't perceived any noticeable distortion so I personally don't worry about it. :)
Agreed. I'm using XLR's as well and haven't noticed anything. Just thought it was a good FYI for those who are just now buying or thinking about buying. Had I known about this prior to purchasing it wouldn't have changed my mind, but it's one of those things that when I read about it after the fact there's a tiny bit of remorse. Maybe it's just me. I do plan on switching to the unbalanced on L&R channels only because I'm adding 2 MX-A5000's when I do an Atmos top speaker addition and will have to move things around anyway. If it wasn't for that, I'd just leave the XLR's connected.

On another note the price went up some again this morning, so this temporary reduction in price does appear to be more of an inventory reduction move and not a close out. Congrats to those of you who were able to take advantage.

·
Registered
212 Posts

I don't have the means to do a side-by-side comparison, so for what it's worth any input I have will be purely from memory. And if I do deciede to run XLR, I'll try RCA first as that'd be a more justified comparison I think, even if it's from memory. But honestly I'm not expecting to hear a difference being that I was running an RX-V2085 (consumer version of the RX-A2080) as a pre-pro for about 3 weeks before I got the 3080. I didn't really notice much of a difference between them, unlike when I replaced my RX-A3020 with the RX-V2085 which was a significant step up (even if the RX-V series doesn't have the 5th foot ;)). The 2085 is in the mancave now with similar but lower powered external amps and bookshelf versions of the speakers I have in the main room. Between the 2 models I'm equally happy being in one room or the other.

If I have a fear, it's that somehow, just maybe the 5200 will floor me even more, and then I'll have to buy a 2nd one for the mancave lol.
I got the 5200 hooked up today, and while I was going to wait till I can run YPAO (not gonna happen at my house on Super Bowl Sunday) before posting any impressions over the 3080, I felt compelled to answer now. I have only set the distances and levels so far and am running the default Natural EQ, and I swear there seems to be more precision and cohesiveness in the sound field, and also an airy presence from my speakers. I don't know if I'm just liking the un-eq'd sound better or what, but I spent a couple of weeks each with the base EQ settings on the 2085 and the 3080 before I could run YPAO, and as blown away as I was even with the base EQ on those units, I still never got that impression from my speakers. I also don't recall ever referring to the sound from any of my prior Yamaha's as "airy" (I've owned 4 Yamaha flagships over the years, and this is the 3rd with my current speakers).

I wasn't expecting to hear any difference over the 3080, and maybe I'm just hearing things, but so far i love it!

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
I got the 5200 hooked up today, and while I was going to wait till I can run YPAO (not gonna happen at my house on Super Bowl Sunday) before posting any impressions over the 3080, I felt compelled to answer now. I have only set the distances and levels so far and am running the default Natural EQ, and I swear there seems to be more precision and cohesiveness in the sound field, and also an airy presence from my speakers. I don't know if I'm just liking the un-eq'd sound better or what, but I spent a couple of weeks each with the base EQ settings on the 2085 and the 3080 before I could run YPAO, and as blown away as I was even with the base EQ on those units, I still never got that impression from my speakers. I also don't recall ever referring to the sound from any of my prior Yamaha's as "airy" (I've owned 4 Yamaha flagships over the years, and this is the 3rd with my current speakers).

I wasn't expecting to hear any difference over the 3080, and maybe I'm just hearing things, but so far i love it!
I never owned thr receivers from yamaha rxa line, but I agree with your findings..

From the start with this beauty, the soundstage, and airyness was much noticed.

After I ran ypao, it got even better

I was blown away how the sound got better from the 5000 to the 5100 and now 5200..

Keeps getting better...

Now for Maybe a new model this year..... We shall see,,

941 - 960 of 1116 Posts