AVS Forum banner

1001 - 1020 of 1116 Posts

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
I am looking to upgrade my home theatre and I am researching the CX-A5200. I have seen multiple reviews where it states there is no AM radio tuner. When I look at the Yamaha site it states there is an AM / FM radio tuner and indicates there are antena connections on the rear of the unit. This is a deal breaker for me as I love to listen to sports on the radio. Is this a difference in models sold in the USA vs outside USA sales or was the tuner removed as some sort of cost-cutting measure. I appreciate any feed-back from a current owner...….thanks
From my manual..

9CCA6C74-557E-4B9A-9536-6D19519AC67B.png

·
Registered
434 Posts
The YPAO microphone calibration has never worked right. I get speaker distances that are bizarre. Tech support kind of shrugged it off as live with it. So, I manually set the speaker distance & 75db pink noise volume. I can use a tape measure & Radio Shack sound meter--no problem. Can I still use the equalizer separately or is it just rolled into setting everything up together? Thanks.

·
Registered
510 Posts
The YPAO microphone calibration has never worked right. I get speaker distances that are bizarre. Tech support kind of shrugged it off as live with it. So, I manually set the speaker distance & 75db pink noise volume. I can use a tape measure & Radio Shack sound meter--no problem. Can I still use the equalizer separately or is it just rolled into setting everything up together? Thanks.

YPAO actually measures DELAY, not actual distance.

So it is taking into account any delays as well as distance from speaker to microphone. Leave it. It's probably accurate.

·
Premium Member
2,639 Posts
The actual distance isn't what matters...it is the time it takes the signal to get to the mic that matters. Distance is just one element of that time. I suspect that Yamaha lists the delay in terms of distance because most people can relate to that better than fractions of a second delay. I always leave the "distance" settings as YPAO measures them. Having the sounds arrive at my ears in sync is an important aspect of achieving a proper sound stage.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
I question the accuracy of the latest YPAO version as well. If Yamaha support can't give an explanation as to why the distance results are so skewed from the actual physical distances, then we start coming up with theories to justify the calibration results. Not to mention sporadic false polarity error results. We'll see if anything changes when the new models come out later this year.

·
Registered
15,406 Posts
Sometimes phase is reported as "reversed" because it is, at least for part of the frequency range the room correction technology is monitoring for. This is especially true with 3-way (or more) designs because most speaker designers won't hesitate to flip the polarity of an individual driver, say the midrange, if the net result is it delivers a smoother response in the transition bands to the other drivers.

In some other situations the mic accidentally "hears" a room boundary reflected sound instead of the direct sound and this bounced-path delay (distance) gets recorded instead.

With subs, especially when the user mounts the mic on a tripod without rubber feet or not resting on a pillow, the sub distance is incorrectly recorded because the mic senses the distance based on the vibration up the legs instead of through the air. Sound travels markedly more quickly through solids like the wooden floor and tripod legs than it does through the air.

Just sayin' some typical examples that stump people.

·
Registered
434 Posts
I've had the system for several months and just gave up and lived with it. Now that I rearranged my two subs, it got me back at it. I'll try YPAO all over again from scratch.

As far as the reverse polarity, my speakers are two-way and every time I run YPAO, it chooses a different speaker as having reverse-polarity. If that isn't a YPAO issue, what else could it be? YPAO was also measuring a couple of speakers, which are about 12 ft away, as 80 ft. YAPO finally got one close to 12 ft and the other 18 ft.

I do use a rubber foot mounted tripod on carpet over concrete or from the riser, carpet over OSB. Might sit it on headrest next time. So do I go with the YPAO distances or the tape measure? I'm confused on this point. I understand we're talking time delay, which is not actual distance--but it sort of is.

I have 5+5 seats, but mostly just wife & I. Do you recommend multi-position or just MLP. I've been doing just MLP (my wife couldn't care less). Thanks.

·
Registered
15,406 Posts
I've had the system for several months and just gave up and lived with it. Now that I rearranged my two subs, it got me back at it. I'll try YPAO all over again from scratch.

As far as the reverse polarity, my speakers are two-way and every time I run YPAO, it chooses a different speaker as having reverse-polarity. If that isn't a YPAO issue, what else could it be?
Not sure. A bad mic or a bad mic jack or plug? A weird room boundary reflection? Hard to say.

Just like speakers, mics can go bad due to cracked diaphragms or rubbing voice coils. This can happen for various reasons including from a single mic drop. Quality mics come in super padded boxes to protect them:

. . . yet Yamaha provides almost zero protection for their mic so people treat them caually not realising how delicate they are. Yamaha can report "no mic detected" but it can't report "distorted mic sound"; it just goes with whatever it hears.

I only have Yamaha receivers but on both of them YPAO returns consistent results which seem pretty close to my tape measurements, but then again I'm not in your room.

Reactions: BIC2

·
Registered
15,406 Posts
Are all the speakers aiming directly at the MLP? If not that supports the issue being that YPAO is hearing a reflection rather than the direct path.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Are all the speakers aiming directly at the MLP? If not that supports the issue being that YPAO is hearing a reflection rather than the direct path.
Sort of. They are all Triad in-wall speakers. Not toed in towards the MLP, but think the MLP is within the cone of each speakers. Think the the mic was higher than MLP seat, so they would hit mic directly. I'll check for that next time around.

The room is dedicated square except back wall has a Z in it. Room is 21 ft wide, half is 22 ft deep and half is 24 ft deep, so rear speakers are slightly asymmetric. I'll make sure mike has a good view of every speaker next time around. Ceiling speakers are 9 (rear) & 10 (front) ft high. Good point.

In the drawing below, L & R are actually closer in to center. Front Atmos are further back. Rear Atmos, side & rear surrounds are close to accurate. Arrows are new sub positions. Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
434 Posts
Not sure. A bad mic or a bad mic jack or plug? A weird room boundary reflection? Hard to say.

Just like speakers, mics can go bad due to cracked diaphragms or rubbing voice coils. This can happen for various reasons including from a single mic drop. Quality mics come in super padded boxes to protect them:

. . . yet Yamaha provides almost zero protection for their mic so people treat them caually not realising how delicate they are. Yamaha can report "no mic detected" but it can't report "distorted mic sound"; it just goes with whatever it hears.

I only have Yamaha receivers but on both of them YPAO returns consistent results which seem pretty close to my tape measurements, but then again I'm not in your room.
When I first talked to tech support, they discounted mic issue since I was getting a reading from all speakers. They weren't concerned with quality of mic (or YPAO results), just worked or not. I'll give them another call. Can I use a mic from my Denon or Onkyo or an aftermarket mic? Thanks.

·
Registered
15,406 Posts
If the YPAO mic distances at least seems to get one side of the room correct, but has wacky results for the other, I'd manually go in and change the wacky value to mirror the other side of the room's distance.

All mic measurements should be done with the mic at ear height from seated position(s). Alternate mics from other brands might seem to work but are not ideal since they may have different sensitivities and different frequency response correction values.

Except for the rare examples with a rear cabinet [not sure what Triad does], in-wall and in-ceiling speakers excite the air in the wall/ceiling just as much as they do the room. This then can leak out from holes like wall AC outlets and also just vibrate the entire wall/ceiling material itself. This, I would suspect, can confuse room correction mics.

·
Registered
434 Posts
If the YPAO mic distances at least seems to get one side of the room correct, but has wacky results for the other, I'd manually go in and change the wacky value to mirror the other side of the room's distance.
That may be the case at times.

All mic measurements should be done with the mic at ear height from seated position(s). Alternate mics from other brands might seem to work but are not ideal since they may have different sensitivities and different frequency response correction values.

Except for the rare examples with a rear cabinet [not sure what Triad does], in-wall and in-ceiling speakers excite the air in the wall/ceiling just as much as they do the room. This then can leak out from holes like wall AC outlets and also just vibrate the entire wall/ceiling material itself. This, I would suspect, can confuse room correction mics.
Triad in walls/ceilings are sealed in back. My drywall vibrations more likely come from the two JTR Captivator 118HT subs, but I'll check on the Triads. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
I'm looking at my options for streaming Disney+ to our HT system. Our family room Samsung TV has the Disney+ app built in, but none of my devices in the HT can do it. What are most of you Yamaha Pre-Pro owners using? Looks like Roku is the biggest player, but there's Google and Amazon devices as well. And there's several Roku models. What is working best for most of you?

Edit: Guess I should mention we have an older JVC X750R projector. We're using the SDR conversion on our Panasonic 820 for 4K HDR discs.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Firestick 4K worked fine but I switched to Roku Ultra 4K because I need the Spectrum app. No complaints, they both do what they need to do.

While any of the 4K Rokus would probably be OK, for my HT, it's only a few dollars more for the Ultra. While it streams 4K fine over WiFi, since I have an Ethernet jack in my HT, might as well get the Ultra to use it.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Looks like Apple TV 4K is the only streaming device that can do HDR-to SDR tone mapping?

·
Registered
388 Posts
I'm looking at my options for streaming Disney+ to our HT system. Our family room Samsung TV has the Disney+ app built in, but none of my devices in the HT can do it. What are most of you Yamaha Pre-Pro owners using? Looks like Roku is the biggest player, but there's Google and Amazon devices as well. And there's several Roku models. What is working best for most of you?

Edit: Guess I should mention we have an older JVC X750R projector. We're using the SDR conversion on our Panasonic 820 for 4K HDR discs.
Looks like Apple TV 4K is the only streaming device that can do HDR-to SDR tone mapping?
I use an AppleTV. Works great. Looks like it’s fits your need for HDR to SDR.

·
Registered
434 Posts
I question the accuracy of the latest YPAO version as well. If Yamaha support can't give an explanation as to why the distance results are so skewed from the actual physical distances, then we start coming up with theories to justify the calibration results. Not to mention sporadic false polarity error results. We'll see if anything changes when the new models come out later this year.

As far as the reverse polarity, my speakers are two-way and every time I run YPAO, it chooses a different speaker as having reverse-polarity. If that isn't a YPAO issue, what else could it be? YPAO was also measuring a couple of speakers, which are about 12 ft away, as 80 ft. YAPO finally got one close to 12 ft and the other 18 ft.

I do use a rubber foot mounted tripod on carpet over concrete or from the riser, carpet over OSB. Might sit it on headrest next time. So do I go with the YPAO distances or the tape measure? I'm confused on this point. I understand we're talking time delay, which is not actual distance--but it sort of is.

I have 5+5 seats, but mostly just wife & I. Do you recommend multi-position or just MLP. I've been doing just MLP (my wife couldn't care less). Thanks.

Just like speakers, mics can go bad due to cracked diaphragms or rubbing voice coils. This can happen for various reasons including from a single mic drop. Quality mics come in super padded boxes to protect them.

I called Yamaha again, last time was in September. While waiting for what would likely be a two-hour hold, I tried "chat". Got a quick reply and and quickly agreed to send new mic. Had it in less than a week. Good customer service on that one.

New mic did the trick. No more reverse polarity or bizarre speaker distances. Some seem slightly off, i.e., left is 11.0 ft; right is 11.8 ft, but overall, sensible. Thanks @m. zillch

Reactions: m. zillch

·
Premium Member
2,639 Posts
I called Yamaha again, last time was in September. While waiting for what would likely be a two-hour hold, I tried "chat". Got a quick reply and and quickly agreed to send new mic. Had it in less than a week. Good customer service on that one.

New mic did the trick. No more reverse polarity or bizarre speaker distances. Some seem slightly off, i.e., left is 11.0 ft; right is 11.8 ft, but overall, sensible. Thanks @m. zillch
Do recall that the distances reported are not actual distances but, rather, time it takes for the signal to get to the mic then converted to be displayed as distance.

1001 - 1020 of 1116 Posts