AVS Forum banner

1101 - 1120 of 1120 Posts

·
Premium Member
747 Posts
I have had a Marantz AV8802A for 5 years that now won’t power up. I just ordered The CX-A5200 to replace it. I also have 2 Emotiva Amps and an old Adcom Amp to connect to it. I am going through this thread to learn what I can about setting up this unit. I will be posting my experiences during this process, especially if I run into issues. I hope all my existing connections will transfer without issues.

Hi thanks for the response, I have since decided to with a Yamaha RX-A3080 and remove the amp from my setup all together.

I test the audio with and without the Amp I could really tell no difference in the overall volume, the PSA speakers have a very high db limit and they

don't really need the power of and external amp so decided to just go back to an AVR.

Thanks

·
Terry from San Jose
105 Posts
Separates are not for everybody. I have had most of my speakers for over 20 years. I have had one of my amps also for 20 years. Five years ago, my Denon AVR-5800 had a power failure and could not be repaired. It was a huge 7.1 AVR. After that, I added my Marantz AV8802A preamp and two Emotiva (XPA-2 and XPA-5) amps and switched my system to a 7.2.4 ATMOS speaker configuration. I hope to keep the speakers and amps for much longer. The technologies for the front end of sound systems seem to evolve every 3 to 5 years. I will plan to change preamps on that type of cycle. My Marantz just had a power failure. I could spend some money to repair it. I have decided to buy a new Yamaha CX-A5200 to match with my current 7.2.4 speakers/amps. I was tempted to upgrade to a 9.2.6 system. I see there are some intriguing 16 channel preamps out there. I will be retiring from my work in 3 to 6 years. At that time, I expect that we will move and get a different house. I will look for a house with a dedicated HT room, build it out and switch to what ever preamp meets my needs at that time. I currently have a 5.1 system in my master bedroom plus a 2 speaker zone in my bathroom. I use a Marantz SR5011 AVR for that system. My second or third systems will get hand-me-downs from my primary system. That is how the home entertainment enthusiast cycle seems to flow. Once you catch the bug, you will continue to evolve your systems.

·
Terry from San Jose
105 Posts
I received and setup my new CX-A5200 on Monday. Initially there was no video out or OSD. Eventually I swapped HDMI cables an got the video. I prepared to run YPAO. I have a symmetrical 7.2.4 speakers system with 4 ceiling ATMOS speakers. I set them all to “small” and set the crossovers at 80 Hz. I ran several single position (center of the main couch) with angle measurement YPAO runs. It consistently said my FL speaker had reverse polarization. On one run, it said the BL speaker had reverse polarization. Inconsistent results does not provide much confidence in the process. YPAO made all my speakers “large” and really turned down the SW power. I would prefer that my subs create the low frequency sounds. The angles and distances and resulting dB levels seemed fairly good. I have found how to edit the YPAO results but I am not sure how to save it. I am thrilled tha YPAO allows for two different patterns. I can move my fronts, center and rears speakers to two positions. I will YPAO both positions and save them as patterns 1 and 2. YPAO also changed my rear ceiling speaker to height speakers. I guess that it doesn’t matter what they are called as long as they sound good. I have been listening to my music in 12 ch stereo mode. The music is very balanced and I feel bathed (I guess they call in immersed) in music. If I close my eyes, it is difficult to register my directional orientation. I am overwhelmed with all the settings this unit has. I am trying to understand the terms and learn how to use the processes. I don’t understand what is a mode, a sound and a surround. Certain settings are mutually exclusive. Like AI cannot be used with 12 ch stereo. I suppose that it will be logical once I understand what each one does. The manual is difficult to navigate on my IPad. I find myself doing a lot of scrolling. A search method would really help. I have not got very far in the video and movie sound processing yet. I am not sure how to set for Dolby ATMOS or DTS-X yet. Will this unit up-convert lesser formats to a Dolby ATMOS sound? I think that I set the unit to up-convert lesser video formats to 4K. I will continue to try and understand this unit and figure out how it works for me. I will study the manual and search this forum for answers and will post questions as they unfold.

Terry from San Jose

·
Registered
328 Posts
Hi there peeps. Hooked up my 5200. Trying to figure out a way to listen to VPS since I had no issue on my old 5000 when listening to regular hi fi DSP like Village Vanguard or Roxy etc to disengage the center channel only.. when listening now when I turn on VPS it always has the center on (which I do not want when listening to music programs). If I turn off VPS it turns off the center but I lose the

VPS. Is there a way around this ? I can’t

seem to figure it out ? I hope so because it

seemed more spacious with it on the 5000
on music. Also compared to the 5000 doesn’t seem to be as much bass from my Syb. I have extra bass turned on and Large for my mains which is the same as my old 5000. Also using Through like my old 5000. Same distance and level settings. So I am having a hard time figuring that out as well. Any suggestions peeps ? Thanks guys !!

Mike

·
Terry from San Jose
105 Posts
Yesterday I ran two patterns of YPAO on my speakers system. They were multi position (3 locations on my reclinable couch) plus angles. I built a light wooden support structure that held the YPAO microphone trident at ear level and register consistent locations on the couch. My tripods could not get low enough. My 9.2.4 speaker layout is symmetrical except for the 2 SW (front left & back right). I have slide mounted FL, C, FR, SBL & SBR speakers that are normally positioned back out of the way for everyday use of our family room. I pull them out for more intimate music listening and movie watching sessions. I am thrilled that YPAO allows for two patterns. Pattern 1 is the everyday position and pattern 2 is the intimate position. YPAO still indicates that my FL & SBL speakers are mis-wired. It set all my speakers to large (which they are) with 40 Hz cross-overs. It change my rear presence speakers to heights, not overhead like they are. In general, the measured distances and angles and set relative levels were reasonably accurate and acceptable. I tweaked the distances and levels to maintain symmetry and consistency (on stationary speakers) between the two patterns. I also switched the RP speakers to overhead. I don’t think it matters what you call them from a sound standpoint. I just like the pictures to match the actual speaker layout. I have been listening to my music (60,000+ tracks on my NAS through PLEX on my 4K Apple TV) in random play. I can’t decide which sound mode I like best, 11ch Stereo or the Neural:X Surround Decoder. I guess it depends on the type of music. I noticed the Neural:X does not use Subs. I don’t listen to basey music so I guess it doesn’t matter. My speakers can play low enough frequency for my music. The other DSP modes are fun to play with now but will probably not get used much after awhile. The levels of my Subs, -3.5 dB (15” FL) and 0.0 dB (10”/8” BR), seems pretty low to me. I was worried that they would be a no show for movies. Lat night I watched three movies, Onward (with the family), Edge of Tomorrow and Bloodshot (for the sound effects). I used the AI sound processing. I definitely was not disappointed with the sound effects. Our family room was really shaking. The picture frames on the main SW started falling over and off. I really wish my wife would not put pictures on the SW. I played with the dialogue level to move it up towards the middle of my 70” Sharp TV. It helped some. My TV picture seems to be adequate. I assume the video is being up-converted to 4K from the lower saved resolutions. I don’t know if the Video Mode Adjustments will improve my display. The Cx-A5200 is making a big impression with me and my family. My home entertainment system is alive again. 😃

·
Terry from San Jose
105 Posts
This morning I woke up early to play with my entertainment system and new Cx-A5200 for Father’s Day 😁. I noticed that the preamp did not show an IP address in the Network settings. I had hard wire connected the preamp to the network switch when I set it up. I swapped out the network cable and rebooted the router and then it registered an IP address. I then saw that there was a Firmware update. I updated the Frimware from 169 to 180. I had uploaded a Yamaha Control App for my IPad Pro and IPhone. I was able to connect the Cx-A5200 to these two devices. I also have these two devices connected via Bluetooth. I have been reading the online manual and getting more familiar with the features, terminology, settings and the remote. I don’t quite understand why there is a setup menu and a option menu. Some of the options seem like setups and visa versa. There are a lot of features that I will never use because of my system and configurations. I don’t use music cast because I have my own music collection. I have used all my channels on my main system and will not set up other zones. I might set-up a projector someday and use the 2nd HDMI out. I have a completely different 5.1 system in the master bedroom with a 2 ch zone in the Bathroom using a Marantz SR5011 AVR. I have set up the scenes. This is great for my wife. I wish they would also turn on the TV, set the input and turn on the source as well. This is primarily for the wife. I have a Harmony remote that my wife likes to use. I will try and add this PreAmp to it for my wife and daughter. Now is time to relax, listen and watch.😌

·
Registered
328 Posts
Well guess what it was the nut (me) behind the wheel. I fixed the lack of bass with the crossover setting lol. Bass sounds great. In fact I had to lower it back to what I had on the 5000. But kept the extra bass like I had before. ! Awesome. !! This unit actually is an improvement on the 5000 in stereo on my XLR In’s from my Oppo 205 (which I would expect being a better transformer and DAC etc !) and as far as noise etc. I am using all RCA pre outs FWIW just like on my old 5000.. that unit was pretty quiet unless you put your ear up to it and heard a slight hiss. Also the grounding was usually pretty good but if someone upstairs was running something like a vacuum or something on the line I had to fight with some slight hum or when I first turn in my Parasound once in a while and then it would go away after a few minutes to inaudible .. well now not once have I got any ground hum. Zip. I have listened multiple multiple times. And it doesn’t exist anymore at all. I think the already excellent grounding was improved too. I even got my LaserDiscs to sound even better LOL (Led Zep and some Star Wars movies that still shine in a good system !!). So In stereo or select HiFi DSPs engaged my CDs and SACDs spectacular. Improvement over the already nice 5000! Wow!! My next test is gonna be HD 4K BluRay Atmos tracks with my Yamaha recommenced 7.1 setup for Atmos with two surround backs since that the best my room can do !! Can’t wait to report back here soon ! The river company gave me the best price I will likely ever see and it is already money well spent !!! It so far is a leap above the already excellent 5000 of that is possible!!!!! 🙂. Thanks 🙂. I love this hobby 🙂

Mike

·
Registered
37 Posts
Just received/set up the 5200. I prefer to set up manually, so set up roughly the settings I had on the Marantz 7200.Setting up was straight forward, just follow on screen menu. Ignoring new toy syndrome, first impressions with music, are a fuller, more expansive soundstage, and an excellent balance across the front end,( 7200 had a v shape sound field.) a wider/deeper sound stage, and excellent instrument separation, something I was not expecting. This is an excellent upgrade from the 7200, and a good example of how electronics progress over a period of a few years. One thing I do not like, the remote volume buttons, being further down the remote, meaning its unbalanced in the hand, and not where the natural balance is..( Nitpicking miserable ...!.)

·
Registered
15,772 Posts
I have a question about the CX-A5100 but I assume it is the same for the CX-A5200. I own other Yamaha AVRs and I get how to store and invoke the four SCENE buttons directly, but how do you access SCENE 5-12 when there are only buttons for 1-4?

·
Registered
540 Posts
I have a question about the CX-A5100 but I assume it is the same for the CX-A5200. I own other Yamaha AVRs and I get how to store and invoke the four SCENE buttons directly, but how do you access SCENE 5-12 when there are only buttons for 1-4?

Either the AV Controller or MusicCast app will allow you to access them easily.

·
Registered
15,772 Posts
Either the AV Controller or MusicCast app will allow you to access them easily.
Thanks but what about the front panel or on the supplied remote control?

·
Registered
212 Posts
Thanks but what about the front panel or on the supplied remote control?

I don't believe I've ever seen more than 4 dedicated scene buttons on any of my Aventage units (this includes 3 flagship models). If you don't want to use the AV Controller or Music Cast apps, I believe your only option is to grab a Harmony remote or something similar that has the codes in their database. I just added the CX-A5100 to my Harmony device list and checked the available commands, and all 12 scenes are available.

Reactions: m. zillch

·
Registered
15,772 Posts
I just added the CX-A5100 to my Harmony device list and checked the available commands, and all 12 scenes are available.
Thanks. Great. I have Harmony so I assume I'll find the extra 5-12 scene buttons when I download the data. [I don't own the CX-A5100 yet but may buy it].

Question: Audioholics comments that HDMI switching between inputs is unusually slow on the CX-A5100. I'm used to maybe 2-4 seconds but 5 or more might throw me. Have you ever timed it and do you have any other reservations about your CX-A5100? Thanks.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Thanks. Great. I have Harmony so I assume I'll find the extra 5-12 scene buttons when I download the data. [I don't own the CX-A5100 yet but may buy it].
Correct. All I did was add the 5100 as a device via the MyHarmony app. From there I went to the "Buttons" section in the MyHarmony app and selected the 5100 device and all 12 scenes are available. So once you add the 5100 you'll just need to program/assign the scenes to your Harmony remote buttons from there.

Question: Audioholics comments that HDMI switching between inputs is unusually slow on the CX-A5100. I'm used to maybe 2-4 seconds but 5 or more might throw me. Have you ever timed it and do you have any other reservations about your CX-A5100? Thanks.
Sorry, I don't actually have a 5100 (I own a 5200). I was just checking the Harmony database to provide an alternative :). I would suggest going to the 5100 forum, but I'd guess you've already been there, so hopefully someone might have some input for you.

Reactions: m. zillch

·
Registered
15,772 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
After 2 months, my 5200 has developed an HDMI switching fault. To prove fault, I switched it with my old Marantz 7702, and alls well, switched back to the 5200, nothing. Do I contact the dealer, or Yamaha first?.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Found a cure, delve deeper into settings, change from video mode 1 to 2. Strange but true, the front channels sound slightly better Unbalanced than Balanced. Strange.

·
Registered
540 Posts
The fault you're describing is most likely cable related, not AVR.
Over time, as HDMI cables hang in the back of amps / sources / displays the cable strands can become un-seated or slowly pull away from their connectors, meaning you get a reduction in the ability to carry bandwidth. What's the fix? Typically cable replacement.

HOWEVER
There are some cases where software updates to source and display devices can muck with things...
Ie a decive will start defaulting to a 4:4:4 colour space, something that your cable setup may not be able to handle bandwidth-wise, or indeed somehow effect the source device output of 5 volts (or thereabouts).

By moving your AVR to 4K Mode 2, you've effectively restricted the bandwidth it's trying to jam down your HDMI cable.
So ultimately, a drop in usable bandwidth would point to a cabling issue.

·
Registered
37 Posts
The fault you're describing is most likely cable related, not AVR.
Over time, as HDMI cables hang in the back of amps / sources / displays the cable strands can become un-seated or slowly pull away from their connectors, meaning you get a reduction in the ability to carry bandwidth. What's the fix? Typically cable replacement.

HOWEVER
There are some cases where software updates to source and display devices can muck with things...
Ie a decive will start defaulting to a 4:4:4 colour space, something that your cable setup may not be able to handle bandwidth-wise, or indeed somehow effect the source device output of 5 volts (or thereabouts).

By moving your AVR to 4K Mode 2, you've effectively restricted the bandwidth it's trying to jam down your HDMI cable.
So ultimately, a drop in usable bandwidth would point to a cabling issue.
Many thanks for reply, will do some more checking.

1101 - 1120 of 1120 Posts