AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I asked a similar question about improving the dialogue at low volumes.the general consensus was that dolby was best followed by audessy dynamic volume.

I am wondering if the dialogue lift on some of the Yamaha avr`s would work better for me.

I have the Denon 891 with Polk TSI 400`s for the front along with a CS 20 center & TSI`S 300 for the rears.

Also wondered the Dialogue lift will work with Dolby Digital.I know the front highs with Denon wont.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I wll move the reference level up to 15.

I did try Multi CH Stereo mode & to me it sounded like I was listening to CSI Miami in a Church.

I am 66 yrs old & dont want to use headphones or have the neighbors have me cited for disturbing the peace.

I am just looking for the best solution.

Thanks for trying to help.

·
Premium Member
93,361 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dowop /forum/post/20892437

I did try Multi CH Stereo mode & to me it sounded like I was listening to CSI Miami in a Church.

No clue what the above means, but apparently you didn't like it. You might also try turning Dyn EQ and Dyn VOL OFF all together for TV viewing only.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie /forum/post/20892589

No clue what the above means, but apparently you didn't like it. You might also try turning Dyn EQ and Dyn VOL OFF all together for TV viewing only.

It means that Multi Channel echoed. If I turn off Dyn Eq & Dyn Vol I think my problem would be worse.

Can anybody answer me about the functionality of the Yamaha Dialoge lift as that was what this thread was suppose to be about?

·
Premium Member
93,361 Posts
Not really as it's the Dyn EQ that is boosting the bass that is making it more difficult for you to understand the center channel dialog. Each time you raise the Reference Level Offset from 5 to 10 to 15, you are reducing the effect of Dyn EQ. With Dyn EQ set to OFF obviously the effect is reduced to zero. Doesn't it make sense to try all options with your current AVR before just giving up and replacing it?

While waiting on a response to your original question, why not use the "Search This Forum" feature on the main Amps, Receivers, and Processors page (upper right corner) with the keywords "Yamaha Dialog Lift" to see the responses. You can also google it to come up with numerous posts as well including this one.

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
I haven't seen your other thread so I'm not sure if you tired any of this. Have you tried bumping the center channel volume up? That might help some. You're problem could also be room acoustics. Where is your center channel (above or below the tv)? If it's not level with your ears, you can try slanting it up or down so the tweeter is aimed at your ears when you are seated.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have the center aimed upward & have the db up.

Problem is that the loud passages in movies disturb the woman. Then there are times when the dialogue is so low I cant hear it.

I am beginning to think I am just a old coot that should get rid of the woman & crank it up.

Thanks for replying.

·
Registered
3,395 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dowop /forum/post/20892233

I asked a similar question about improving the dialogue at low volumes.the general consensus was that dolby was best followed by audessy dynamic volume. I am wondering if the dialogue lift on some of the Yamaha avr`s would work better for me.

Yamaha Dialogue Lift is a technology which allows the apparent source position of center channel sound (which usually includes most dialogue!) to be relocated upwards to the middle of the screen.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.