AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just read a copy of the UK's Home Cinema Choice magazine. They state that according to Yamaha the new DPX-1 DLP projector will use the larger 0.9in XGA chip and have a color wheel with NO transparent section. The quoted contrast ratio is 900:1 (yet to be seen), 3/2 pull down and list price of 7,500 sterling (about $10,650) in Britain (hopefully less here).

·
Registered
704 Posts
I was at Soundtrack here in Denver (Ultimate in other states) and they had a DXP-1 setup. My wife and I watched it for about 30 minutes while the salesman went through his spiel (?). I too was impressed by the picture quality. I made him play U-571 instead of Toy Story. I wanted to see how the dark scenes held up with a DLP. They were impressive to say the least. The pricing on the unit was $10K. But the salesman also said they were only a temporary item within the Soundtrack stores. As soon as Sharp comes out with their DLP unit, Soundtrack/Ultimate would no longer carry the Yamaha unit. Something about an exclusive deal with Sharp. I was disappointed with this news because I thought this was one of the better DLP units I have seen, especially at this price.

------------------

Keith S.

·
Premium Member
25,537 Posts
Keith,

I wouldn't be too disappointed. All accounts I've seen are that the Sharp is awesome, it's 16:9 WXGA vs. Yamaha XGA, and MSRP is $10K, so it should street for much less. In other words, a lot more for less money.

------------------

Noah

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.