AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally was able to audition the Yamaha DPX-1000. The dealer I went to was using a 103" VuTec 1.3 gain white screen. I thought the picture was the best I've yet to see from a DLP unit and definitely superior to the Marantz and Runco's I had seen earlier. I think the picture quality is as good or slightly better than the Seleco HD2 unit. The picture was very film-like with no visible rainbow effects. It did seem slightly "soft" with HD viewing, but Im not sure if this was source-related. Colors were uniform and accurate and black levels were very good. Im not sure that a grey based screen like a Greyhawk/Firehawk would be worthwhile with this product; in particular a Greyhawk might dim the whites too much. Scaling seemed first-rate with no discernable artifacts. The things that set the unit at the top of present products - in my opinion - are:

1) Its adjustability. Its very easy to switch from "standard" to "cinema" modes depending on your room lighting and preferences. This makes a significant difference in white levels and contrast. A plethora of other tweaks are also possible. The ability to keystone and fine-tune is incredible.

2) The sheer size and weight of the unit. It is BIG. REAL BIG. It has a huge lens which must provide the superb optics and it seems very well built. Its size should be a consideration for low ceilings and tight spaces, however.

3) Very low fan noise level. It does seem noiser than the DPX-1, but the noise is much more tolerable than the Sim or Runco units Ive auditioned.

In summary, I think the Yamaha is the top choice for HD2 products; whether the Sony SXRD will be better remains to be seen, but the standard of excellence just got a bit higher.

·
Registered
21,464 Posts
How can a positive gain screen like the Firehawk dim anything as long as you are sitting within the viewing cone? It doesn't dim the red, greens, or blues. Are you saying that a 100% IRE field is less bright on a Firehawk than on say a 1.0 gain matt white screen?

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The grey based screens are thought by some to make the whites appear slightly greyer or dimmer; they dont decrease overall light. This is a point of debate with respect to those screens. They definitely help the blacks, but their effect on whites is subject to personal opinion.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.