AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The upcoming Yamaha DPX-1000 looks very promising and may very well be near or at the top of the HD2 projector heap. The contrast ratio is spec'd at 2700:1, the lens is made by Fujinon, and video processing is by Faroudja. The lamp is 270W which will hopefully correlate to greater than 1000 lumens, and the noise rating is 30 db. I say bring it on.

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The DPX-1000 has one of those iris thingies like the NEC HT1000, so the contrast ratio specified is likely at the expense of brightness. The lens also has a short focal ratio which should be of interest with those who have short rooms. What really interests me is the noise rating for the projector and that big kick butt lamp.

·
Registered
803 Posts
From reading some of the impressions in Japanese and Korean forums, it 'seems' that HD2 Yamaha shows the best image among the major 3 Japanese HD2 DLPs. - Sharp, Marantz, and Yamaha

We shall see. :cool:

·
Registered
17,711 Posts
I also like that Yamaha had decided to add a lot of IR codes to the stuff they build. Makes programming remotes much easier.

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
The iris is also motorized.

You can thank the Yamaha motorcycle division for the low noise rating.

They designed the exhaust for the DPX-1 as well as the new DPX-1000.

At cedia expo 2002 I found the DPX-1000 demo room, (Right Next to Velodyne and their new huge Subs) :eek: Yamaha had two Demo rooms, one also for the new lcd.

The image from the fast and furious dvd was fantastic. ;)

They also played some tape recorded HD, Very nice..

A few posts here in the past states that the Yamaha was just a copy clone.

Not the case, These are Yamaha designs from the start.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
I haven't seen much data on this unit, the few posts/pictures on this forum, some brief notes in HT magazines, and 2nd hand information from some Korean friends that support ShePearl's comments on the quality of the product.

Maybe the DPX-1000 could be a come from behind winner? I would love to include it in my review/selection process.

Does anyone have any further details on availability and pricing?

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Alan, are you referring to the HT1000 engine? I would think that the HD2 chip would require a different light engine then a 1024x768 chip.

·
Premium Member
16,963 Posts
Same software and features. Sounds like the same projector with a motorized lens, 16x9 panel and brighter bulb which would explain almost tripple the retail.

This could be the next King of the Hill.

·
Registered
13,049 Posts
Oh don't tell me so... Just when I thought I had my choices narrowed down to the InFocus 7200 and Marantz S2.

Info on the DPX-1000 is been very limited, almost as if it was a noncontender. So perhaps it just didn't get the hype but is a great machine afterall. Who knows. Well at least this should be easier to see locally, since Tweater carries the DPX-1 I'll assume they'll carry the 1000 too.

Any word on MSRP or availability in the U.S.?

Any DPX-1000 owners out there in the US - speak up. How is it?

·
Registered
653 Posts
According to HT Research projector catalog, it is scheduled for 4Q02, or this month. I believe I saw that somewhere else as well.

The Asian version is out and should be close if not the same as the US model, so any Asia-based members who have this/seen this unit care to comment?

dagger

·
Registered
521 Posts
The DPX-1000 was scheduled for release in October but subsequently was delayed to November and now mid-January at the earliest. I have heard several reasons for the delay, ranging from software issues, parts delays to the dockers strike in California. Who knows? I've been told it will list for $12000 US, but that Yamaha is reviewing that in light of competitive pricing from Infocus and Sharp. They do however believe that their product has advantages in performance and features as well as offering the quietest cooling fan. There are available ceiling mounts for high and low ceiling rooms; the replacement bulb will list for $500 (ouch). I am on the list for the first unit in my area and plan to use it with either a 100" Firehawk or Greyhawk depending on final brightness performance. It apparently will allow users to use a high brightness or a high contrast setting like some other units. I hope this helps.

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
Docray1,

Sounds like a nice unit, but if they are disappointed with the competition's pricing, they are probably hoping that NEC doesn't come out with a similar unit. Of course, I'm hoping they do soon, but I think it is just a matter of time. I hope the price you are paying reflects the latest market conditions.

--Darin

·
Registered
521 Posts
Darin,

I agree; Im hoping they drop the price significantly before its intro. My dealer is promising some type of discount, although I havent yet gotten into the details, since I want to know more about the unit. They have aggresively dropped the price on the DPX-1 - over time. I have owned several Yamaha products ranging from recievers to my Disklavier piano and have always found them to be of good quality and performance and Ive yet to have any of them repaired - ever. That is important to me. Ive also been quite impressed with the nearly inaudible fan noise on the DPX-1 and this is also significant since the unit will have to be mounted nearly directly over my head! Some of the other supposed top notch units Ive demo'd (Sim and Runco come to mind) have been way too loud for me. Time will tell!

·
Registered
13,049 Posts
Docray1 - Its nice to see your customer loyalty to Yamaha. I was wondering from reading your earlier post how you felt comfortable enough to purchase the pj sight-unseen and with very little user feedback on how it looks floating around (compared to all the hype on the InFocus, Marantz, and NEC). But after reading your last post I see that the appeal is for the high quality and enjoyment you've gotten from their other products.

Yes, I have seen the DPX-1 and liked it a lot. Agree that the fan noise is very quiet.

BTW, FWIW their web site lists the MSRP for the replacement bulb at $599 if I remember correctly.

Do you have more information on the high vs. low ceiling mounts, and how specifically they differ from one another? In my case I have a 94" ceiling and the top of my screen will be only 6.5" from the ceiling. I assume this means the low ceiling mount would be right for me, and that with the lens shift I'd have no problem getting the picture in perfectly.

·
Registered
6,092 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Scott B
The DPX-1000 has one of those iris thingies like the NEC HT1000, so the contrast ratio specified is likely at the expense of brightness. The lens also has a short focal ratio which should be of interest with those who have short rooms. What really interests me is the noise rating for the projector and that big kick butt lamp.
It really isn't a short throw projector though. It has a 1.6:1 zoom range which is incredible. The most information can be found on the Japanese web-site:

Go to: http://babelfish.altavista.com/

and insert: http://www.yamaha.co.jp/news/2002/02111401.html

and there's also some information at the US site:

http://www.yamaha.com/yec/products/video/DPX1000.htm

Key features are:

800 ANSI Lumens at 1500:1

500 ANSI Lumens at 2700:1

1.6:1 zoom range (100" diagonal image from 10' to 16' away)

Motorized Zoom

Motorized Focus

Motorized Iris

Motorized Len-shift

Full chromaticity adjustment menu

DCDi

DVI input

HD-2 etc.

On paper, it looks like the Cadillac of the new DLPs. Not having HDCP/DVI is minor shortcoming and I doubt all of the Lumens will come at 6500K, probably 9000K or so.

However, overall it looks very good to me.

-Mr. Wigggles

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by MrWigggles
800 ANSI Lumens at 1500:1

500 ANSI Lumens at 2700:1
I would have guessed more lumens than that with the 270W bulb. It will be interesting to see how the brightness really compares to the competition.

Are there any issues with getting these motorized zoom lenses spot on? I know it isn't a problem with manual ones.

--Darin

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
Since CEDIA and being a current dpx-1 owner for nearly a year.

I have had few discussions with some of the people at Yamaha USA.

I should say, not once for a single projector problem, Knock on wood, it's been trouble free.

Don't wager your house on this, but don't be surprised if the MSRP drops from the tentative $12k USD to around $9k-$10k.

Yamaha has it's sights on the US market..

After wining several European awards with the dpx-1,

The dpx-1 has sold very well outside the states.

I have been told that the states are now the target market for Yamaha in this venture.

I think you will start seeing this projector marketed very heavy in the next few months issues of most major publications.

but what do I know ;)

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Only 800 lumens!!! I would have thought that with a 270W lamp, the lumens would have been at least 1000. As good as the DPX-1000 sounds, 800 lumens is simply not enough fire power for my 125" wide microperforated GrayHawk. Oh well, I guess I am back to the JVC SX-21.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.