AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have owned my Yamaha DSP-A1 amp for nearly four years. Everything still works great, but for one thing: the main "screen" illumination dies after its been on for an hour or so. I haven't even cracked the case open. Can anyone give recommendation for repairing this?

I have used this amp every day for many hours each day since I have owned it. When I turn it on, the screen is fine. After a while it dims, sometimes flickering a bit, then goes dark. It becomes a nuisance when changing surround settings, which I do quite frequently. I can't tell which DSP setting its set for. I used to use OSD to view the settings, but now that my video sources are connected directly to the monitor, I can't use OSD from the amp. Any ideas appreciated!

ChasA-V

·
Registered
143 Posts
I have a similar problem with my DSP-A1. I have numerous letters that don't illuminate, for example, I get the following;

lby gital

TS rround

xy ater

etc.

Can anyone venture a educated guess as to the possible cause of this problem?

Hep8

·
Registered
977 Posts
Some of the same with my A-1.

I only occasionally lose the "D", DTS becomes TS.

I recall seeing posts regarding this problem in the past - before I had the problem myself.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Curtlots and Hep8

That's interesting that you experience *partial* outage of the display. In my case the entire screen gets dimmer until it goes out entirely. If it weren't for the lamp on the volume knob I wouldn't know the amp is on at all! Mine definitely seems related to operating temp. Once it gets good and warm the display dies. When its "cold" it works fine. Since I run it 10-12 hours a day this is a problem. I have mine in the open so it should be cooling properly. Hmmm.....

BTW have you guys come up with any creative ways to attach a DVD-A/SACD player to your Yamaha? One guy on this forum directed me to www.msbtech.com. This looks like a good solution, but shipping my amp back and forth across the US to get a $500 connector/cable installed is not too appealing either!

ChasA-V

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
How about the external decoder inputs?
Now that is interesting! There are six inputs - R&L mains and surrounds and one center and one subwoofer. Manual says its for "discrete multichannel input from a external decoder, sound processor or pre-amplifier". Sounds like a DVD-A/SACD player just might work. Anyone tried this yet? I may bite the bullet and give it a try.

ChasA-V

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
I haven't tried it yet. I plan on getting a combo player. Alas, I have to wait until next summer as I blew the budget on a projector and scaler.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ChasA-V
Now that is interesting! There are six inputs - R&L mains and surrounds and one center and one subwoofer. Manual says its for "discrete multichannel input from a external decoder, sound processor or pre-amplifier". Sounds like a DVD-A/SACD player just might work. Anyone tried this yet? I may bite the bullet and give it a try.

ChasA-V
I've been enjoying DVD-A from my Toshiba SD4700 using these descrete inputs for quite some time :)

You would need to switch the amplifier to "Ext. Decoder In" mode. Also, DSP-A1 is one of the very few amplifiers that has an active bass management in the analog domain, so even in this configuration it would work.

Enjoy!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.