AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Yamaha DVD-CX1 or DVD-C920

1K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  DJ_JonnyV 
#1 ·
I am a relative newbie and am looking for a good DVD player. I have reviewed the tips in this forum and the Secrets of Home Theater and HIFI DVD Shootout. I have ruled out certain brands because of this information.

I am buying a whole new system. I have a clean slate here. A/V Amp, projector/screen, speakers and DVD player.

Right now I am looking at the Yamaha RX-V2400 or 1400 receiver. They fit the price point and have good features. I plan on using a Refurb Sharp XV-9000U DLP projector. A friend has one and it looks awesome. Don't know about speakers yet but it probably doesn't matter for the purposes of my questions here.

I am now considering the Yamaha DVD players. I want a 5 disk changer. My current choices are the DVD-CX1 and the DVD-C920 (I saw somewhere there is a 940 out but I don't see it on Yamaha's site). The Secrets shootout reviewed the CX1 and gave it relatively good marks. No chroma bug. They did not review the 920. I have seen a friends 920 (w/ projector) and it looks good although I am not a trained DVD player fault detector.

When comparing the two models on Yamaha's site the following four additional features are on the CX1: Film Mode, 3D Motion Adaptive Cross Color Suppression, Full 10 Bit Pipeline, 30P Video Compatibility. Nowhere in the literature does it explain what these mean or what the net benefit is to me. Both have the DCDi by Faroudja.

Here are my questions:

Does anybody know what these 4 features do?

Does the 920 have chroma bug?

Is the CX1 worth almost twice as much?

Am I missing the boat altogether and should I be looking at completely different players in this price range?

See less See more
#2 ·
I recently purchased a CX1, and so far have been very happy with it. I was also considering the 920, but what made the decision easy for me is that you can now get the CX1 from an authorized dealer for only $499. Not bad for a player that listed at $1,300 and sold for $899 just a few months ago.

The most noticeable difference between the two is build quality. Not that the 920's isn't very good, but the CX1's is better. It is built like a tank and weighs 23 lbs! I never saw the two side-by-side, so I can't comment on whether the video or audio quality is noticeably better on the CX1.

The only potential concern that I am aware of on the CX1 is the Cross Color Suppression (CCS) being on. Although I have not noticed it in over 2 months of use, I have read that it can cause problems when there are very saturated colors. Both Panasonic (on which the CX1 and 920 are based) and Denon issued firmware upgrades if you wanted to turn it off, so if it ever becomes a problem for me I will find out whether Yamaha has a similar firmware upgrade.

Hope this helps.

Peter

#4 ·
Yes, this same problem does exist for the CX1, I have done some extensive testing with that Toy Story seen and this model. BUT, that was the only time that I ever noticed it. I have been extremely satisfied with this player since I bought it in July for $499 - really a great value. Also, one of the big features that I liked was the On/Off switch on the remote, a rarity for Yamaha disc player remotes. Although it just puts the unit into Standby mode. Anyway, I have been extremely satisfied with the picture on this baby. Just watched Dark Blue last night, and it reminded me what a good job it does on movies. As for sound, with the Burr-Brown DAC's it's hard to beat with a 5 disc changer. You really get the best of both worlds with this player. I have never seen the 920 in person, so I cannot comment too much on it, but if the price difference is less than 2 bills, then I woudl definitely opt for the CX1. That baby will last you for many a year to come. Even if you upgrade to a better DVD player down the road (due to new technology), you'll still have a heck of a CD 5 disc changer, oh, and did I mention it will play DVD-A as well. Have not tested this feature, as my Elite DV45A handlse multi-channel. And, at 23 lbs., it will always serve a purpose even in 20 years, as a boat anchor...

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.