AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone had an opportunity to see the Yamaha DXP-1 DLP projector? How does it stack up with the Sony VPL-VW10HT,and the expectations for the 11HT?

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
The Yamaha looked pretty good -- equal to or better than the 10HT--but by the time it ships, it will most likely be eclipsed by the new projectors coming out this fall with the 16x9 DLP chip from Sharp, Sim2 Seleco, and others.

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
Also, Yamaha still has the old RGB wheel, apparently (unless they make a last-minute switch). I'd steer clear of this as it is very rainbow prone. You may not see it (I did on the prototype) but it is likely someone in your family or who visits is likely to.

Given how fast the switch to the new RGBRGB wheel is happening, I'd be really surprised if they actually ship this projector with the old one. In other respects, such as color and contrast, I was really impressed with the Yamaha prototype.

Dan

·
Registered
88 Posts
I watched part of The Mask on this unit today at Ultimate Electronics in Las Vegas (the S. Rainbow store). The image was OK but not fantastic (my search continues).

Something must have been wrong with the DVD player because the image seemed washed out (hazy, solarized, something like that). I had them switch to a rear projection TV and it had the same image problem so it wasn't the projector's fault.

I had never seen the rainbow effect before and watched closely for it during the film. No luck. Then I skipped to the credits at the end. They started filling the screen and everything seemed ok. Then as my eyes started jumping from line to line during reading I started seeing these annoying red and green flashes.

AAAHHH, THE ACCURSED RAINBOW!

It annoyed me so much I had to stop watching. I wonder if I would have seen it if I hadn't read this forum before hand.

As Chuck Heston would say: God damn you, God damn you all to hell! http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/wink.gif

P.S. I feel much better about not getting in on the Dell LT150 deal. Even $1700 is too much to pay for subliminal flashes...

·
Registered
861 Posts
I agree re: 'too much to pay for subliminal flashes.'

I couldn't live with the rainbows no matter what bargain price you have on DLP.

Once you've seen it - it lingers as an after image and you think you're still seeing it in real life.

I really wonder if there will be a stack of these DLPs turning up almost new but being sold because of the 'dreaded rainbow..'

Max Christoffersen

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.