AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My brother just got a job with Yamaha and can hook me up with some of their HT audio equipment. Since i'm just starting up my real HT system, what Yamaha receiver would you recommend? This will probably be the 1st thing i buy for my system aside from the 42" Panny plasma. I've been doing some reading and it looks like the RX-V1400 is well liked around here. How about the HTR-5790 or HTR-5760? Is there anything else around that price or cheaper that you'd recommend?

Also i noticed that Yamaha has their receivers broken down into 2 groups...Audio/Video receivers and Home Theatre receivers. What the heck is the difference? I'm clueless here.

While i'm at it, how is Yamaha for speakers? I searched the speaker forum and couldn't find much....so is it safe to assume they aren't very good?

Lastly, anything else from Yamaha that is worth getting?

Please help a newbie w/ his 1st post!

·
Registered
879 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your response. The RX-V2500 looks like a nice piece of equipment, however, it is out of my budget (even w/ the special discount). :( Those Axiom audio speakers also look awesome, and i'm sure they sounds great too...but those are also out of the budget. I don't really want a top of the line system.....more like a respectable one. Of the options i listed, which would you choose? Last time i purchased a receiver was about 20 years ago when i got a Pioneer and Dolby Pro Logic just came out. Heck, my current receiver doesn't even have DVD on it...it says LD! :p

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
FWIW, I have the 5790 and love it. If you can get a good discount, think about getting the newer 1500, otherwise you can't go wrong with either the 5790 or the 1400 (same thing except for cosmetic differences)

·
Registered
4,054 Posts
The 5790 is a great unit I just got one about 6 weeks ago and it just amazes me every time I use it ,believe me its woth every penny.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
In my case, I own an rx-v 2400 with a center B&W speaker and Yamaha's NS- 777 towers in a 7.1 arrangement with a Sony and a Warfdale sub woofer and for me this has worked spectacularly.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Your local dealers should have the 1400's on clearance. I picked up mine from GoodGuys for $520 last week. I prefer the 1400 over 5790 purely on front panel aesthetics.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.