AVS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

My old Yammi died and I have to replace it.

I have a PS3 and a 5.1 set up with so so speakers and I'm in a tight budget, so I think I don't need all the bells and whistles of the new audio formats.

What do you recommend me?

Thanks!!!!

·
Registered
162 Posts
I would go for the 1800.

How tight is your budget?

I always keep my thing for many years, so better to buy something that has everything so you won't regret in a year or 2.

·
Registered
6,288 Posts

Quote:
I have a PS3 and a 5.1 set up with so so speakers and I'm in a tight budget, so I think I don't need all the bells and whistles of the new audio formats.

Sounds like you just want a basic 5.1 receiver with no real need for HDMI audio, then? Don't know that part of the Yamaha line well, but the Panasonic XR55 is easily below $200 and is fantastic. If you did want to hear all the Blu-Ray audio the PS3 is capable of delivering, the Yamaha 661 is a great HDMI unit, ~$400.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry...I forgot to specify my budget...I would like to spend up to $250.

I know it's not much, but as I said, I only have an old set of JBL speakers for center and rear with two radiient as front, and I'm not thinking in replace them for a while...

Thanks for the info so far!

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
You might be able to get a better receiver if you look into getting a used receiver.

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
Just the usual, Craigslist, audiogon. Sometimes stores take trade ins too. And some manufactuers offer refurb models as well.

And there's always the usual great deals on last years models.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I just sold a RX-V659 for $242 on ebay. It would be a good receiver for you. It has high ratings. Read the review on audioholics.com You'll have to do Audio via optical with the PS3 so you wont get lossless audio, but I don't think you'll be able to get HDMI audio for under $250, at least not with any quality product. I highly recommend this receiver if you can get by without HDMI capability. Running a PS3 with component and optical with cost you lossless audio and no upconverting standard def DVDs, but there aren't critical IMHO.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Amazon has both used and refurbished receivers. I'm sure you can get close to your price and still get hdmi and take advantage of the new codecs. You don't need to decode in the receiver.

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
I believe that's one of the class D Panny AVRs? People seem pleased with it. I think there may be a thread dedicated to it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts