AVS Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Yamaha purchasing question: New RX-V577 or refurbished RX-A740?

My H/K AVR2600 appears to have bit the dust, going into "PROTECT" mode seconds after being powered on even when nothing but the power cord is connected (and not staying on long enough for me to attempt a reset, either). I picked it up new on closeout for $300 around four years ago, so it is well out of warranty, and probably not worth my while to have it repaired considering its original price.

My budget for a new receiver remains around the same, and I have narrowed it down to either the Yamaha RX-V577 (new for $300 + tax locally) or the Yamaha AVENTAGE RX-A740 (refurbished for $320 + free shipping online). I don't have any experience with either, so I'm wondering if the differences between them are a wash, or if there are any actual benefits (outside of the aluminum front panel and fifth foot ;)) of the A740 that outweigh the full warranty (2 years vs. 1) of the V577. Sound quality is my primary concern, and I don't care about the Zone 2 capabilities of the A740 or the extra HDMI input on the V577.

Thanks in advance!

1 - 1 of 1 Posts