Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everybody,

I just got a Mitsu 65" xxxx819. Awesome! I'm thinking about matching it with a Yamaha YHT-900 Home Theater In A Box.

http://www.yamaha.com/yec/products/HTIB/HTIB_900_1.htm

I heard the YHT-700 at P.C. Richard. I thought it sounded awesome with the exception of weak Bass. The new model 900 has a bigger sub powered by 150 watts, instead of the 70 watt YHT-700.

http://www.yamaha.com/yec/products/HTIB/HTIB_comp.htm

I have a YHT-900 on order from J&R Music World for $1300 + tax and a $60 shipping.

What do y'all think? Any seperates that sound better for less then $2000? Any Home Theater In A Box's that are better?

Any input is appreciated.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Have you considered the Acoustic Research HC6 speaker system ($499 from J&R), matched with a good receiver like an Outlaw ($499 direct from the manufacturer).

I think both the AR speakers (fantastic reviews - look them up) and the Outlaw would outperform that Yamaha system, and for $300 less.

Also, you can get a complete set of Divas by Swan for $1198. Match that with a $200 receiver and you'll have a system that will BLOW THE YAMAHA OUT OF THE WATER for only $100 more.

I'm not insulting you - you only have 5 posts so you sound like a newbie - but you need to do more research. The world of audio is filled with bargains, and they're almost always not in the big names. For X dollars with a big name like Sony or Yamaha you can usually do a lot better with a boutique manufacturer.

You owe it to yourself to research the Acoustic Research and Diva speakers, and the Outlaw receiver. Remember that speakers are more important than receivers. So if you have to compromise, take speaker quality over receiver features.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by chrisreeves
The world of audio is filled with bargains....
You got that right, Chris. Check this out:

I just got the recently discontinued Klipsch Reference 3 Series:

2 main towers, center and 2 bipole (or dipole?) rears for....drumroll....
$845 !!!

The only difference between these and the new 3 series is the Monster Z-wiring installed. I don't care, for this price I'll take them. I got these puppies hooked up to my Yamaha receiver and DLP projector and I'm in theater heaven. I love their effeciency! I barely move the volume knob to turn it up and I can already hear the movie dialogue.

I looked into the Divas too but they're too expensive. Maybe I'll upgrade to them later but for now, I'm happy. Mainly because I didn't break the $1k barrier! :D

Hey Chris, did you ever get that Sharp Z9000? What happened?

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Hey BSN,

congrats on your deal. My Divas just arrived 2 hours ago by truck and I haven't opened them yet. Now you have me thinking you got a better value. Rats. He he.

Anyway I nixed the Z9000 idea and I'm back in CRT land. I'm using my old Sony 1271 while I search for the optimum CRT for my price range. I just finally decided picture quality matters above all else to me, so I am staying away from digital projectors for the time being. When the HD2 chip comes out, I'll reexamine the state of digital.

For now though, I'm simply enduring 20 minute projector warm-ups and convergence touch-up as the price to pay for an incredibly smooth and three dimensional picture.

I'd love to hear your system sometime. If it sounds close to my Divas I might return them.

Are any more of these Klipsch's available?

Chris

·
Registered
417 Posts
That's funny. Here I am thinking that I want to hear YOUR Divas. On paper and from people's reviews, it sounds like they're the better brand.

I don't think you can find these discontinued Klipsch 3 series out there anymore. Most dealers got rid of them months ago. I'm just very lucky to find the 2 main towers at GoodGuys and the center and rears at a local authorized dealer. They wanted to get rid of them as much as I wanted to take them. Thus, the superlow price. But I could be wrong...you never know what you can find in L.A. Somewhere out there, someone always has them! The place I found did!

Go to www.Klipsch.com and click on "dealers." Punch in your zip code and see what dealers you get. Most of them are Good Guys but they MAY still have a few stashed here and there. But I would rely mostly on the Mom&Pop stores (authorized ones of course). Good luck!

We need to hook up and compare pj's and sounds!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.