AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I'd like some feedback. I currently have a 5.1 speaker (100W, 8om Kenwoods) set connected to a Yamaha HTR-5660. It works, but I'm looking to upgrade to HDMI switching along with some other codecs available. I'm looking at two receivers, the Yamaha HTR 5063 and the Denon AVR591. Both fall in my budget ($300-$400), though the Denon is little more expensive. My living room is a 12x15 space, but is open to a dining area.

I've had a good experience with my Yamaha, so I'm leaning towards a new one, but I've heard good things about Denon. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Ben

·
Registered
487 Posts
Ben...

I bought a 5063 at Costco because like you I had a decent Yamaha (non-HDMI) and had a good experience with it. Technically, the 5063 has all the bells and whistles I want. The remote is decent although I only use it in a pinch... I'm trying to use my AR XSight universal for as much as I can.

Hooking up components and cables is a piece of cake. However, I do have a couple of gripes:

1. No hard-copy manual for reference, so you have to download one and print it out or basically guess how things work.

2. I have all the speakers from my previous system as I didn't want to invest in all new ones. Sound is decent but the clarity on the Infinity Center Channel speaker is a bit muddy. I haven't yet been able to come up with a equalizer combo that sounds anywhere as good as my old Yamaha did. My front and rear speakers are Bose (Front's are Bose double Cubes mounted at each corner firing slightly down, Rears are Bose 6X9 on pedestals behind sofa but in corners). I have a sub but I'm not sure I'm going to use it.

I think there's some new firmware out, and maybe it improves the ugly and non-intuitive "GUI" and I almost hate to call it that. I'd like to hear from more people that have bought this unit and see what I'm doing wrong. LOL

Mike

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am looking at similar receivers. Other than the obvious metrics: quality of sound and/or video (which frankly I don't know how to measure other than visually and audibly), this is the list of items I am using to compare them:

speaker polarity: Does the receive notify me if I miswired the speaker(s).

digital detection/correction system: It must have one, whether it's Audyssey or another system, is open for debate. Again, I have no way of assessing which competing correction system is better other than google. However, I've heard more high raves about the Audyssey multiq system than the others.

pass-thru: This is important since I rather no always turn on the receive.

on-screen control: This comes in handy during the setup. I really don't like watching the limited screen on the receiver itself. I prefer to setup the receiving using the TV's screen.

Given the above criteria, this is how I have compared the two Receivers

1. speaker polarity: I never saw any literature that mention AVR-591 can do it but I did see that the HTR5063 does. So the Yamaha gets a mark.

2. It seems Audyssey multiQ is better than Yamaha's YPAO Sound Optimization system. I don't how I arrived at this perception though. I hope someone can confirm or deny this.

3. pass-thru: AVR-591 has pass-thru. I don't know whether the HTR does.

4. Don't know if either or both have this.

Essentially, I'm in the same position as you are, looking for answers but hard to find them.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts