AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Yamaha HTR-5280 Natural Sound AV Receiver and I just can’t seem to get it configured right for my speakers. I just bought a set of Klipsch Quintet II speakers. I also have the Avia guide to setting up home theatre. After hours of messing around with test tones and adjustments I gave up. I keep referencing the Yamaha manual and it just confuses me more. Does anyone have a guide or something to follow for this receiver? Would I be better getting a receiver that automatically configures things?

Thanks,

Chad

·
Registered
738 Posts
I had a 5280. They may not have all the fancy features, but those are some GREAT sounding receivers.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Trying to fine tune it with a sound level meter. Seems to me the menu system is very cumbersome. Trying to get all the speakers at a DB level of 85.

·
Registered
6,779 Posts
Getting the balance is a little tricky, but this should work:

1. Begin by setting the DSP to "Effect" on the remote. You want just stereo sound for the moment.

2. On your remote, press "Set Menu" and then the down arrow until you get to setup item #3 which is "Balance L and R".

3. Using the test tones from your disk, adjust the L/R balance until both are reading the db level you want.

4. Exit the setup menu.

5. On the remote, press the "Dolby/DTS Surr" button, then play the test tones on the disc.

6. As a channel is playing, use the left and right arrows on the remote to adjust the trim levels of the center and surround left and right, and sub until they read the same as what you measured for the L/R channels. NOTE: you CANNOT adjust the levels of the L/R, only the trim levels of the the other channels.

7. As a side note, if you are using the RS SPL meter, make sure you look at the adjustment table on this site to get the right correction values, otherwise you will be running the sub too hot.

I agree the initial setup is non-intuitive, but you only have to go through it once unless you swap out speakers. If you needed to make a slight correction on the fly to compensate for a particular DVD, you can do it with the remote arrow keys....just remember what your calibrated setting were and return them when you are done.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the info. I have adjusted the level of the Center, L/R surround speakers to the 85db level. So now the Center and L/R surrounds are louder than the front L/R speakers. The L/R balance you are refering to will adjust the output level of these speakers?

Thanks,

Chad

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.