AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have the older 5590 and was wondering if upgrading to a newer RXV663 would even be worth it.

I know I would gain 2 HDMI inputs for switching. Plus I would be going from Component switching rated up to 60 Mhz MAX, to Component switching rated up to 100 Mhz on the RXV663 which would be lossless HD, as too my understanding.

Now, I currently don't have any type of video running through my receiver because my thinking is(and the fact I just connect an HD source directly to my Vizio VX37LHDTV10A) that my TV just does a better job of upconverting.

So I really want to know about THE SOUND.

Is DOLBY HD/DTS HD or one of the newer/lossless audio codecs really worth it?

Will I really notice a difference in the sound? I am by no means an audiophile, so would I just be buying something with a "new hat"(ala Malibu Stacey for SIMPSON FANS out there) to the point where I would notice no discernable difference in my 6.1 sound I already LOVE/ENJOY?

Plus, am I just better off buying a Sony PS3, which has the ability to decode the newer formats built into it already, and just connecting that(TOSlink or 6 channel direct audio cables?) to my current receiver?

Basically, is it better to put $400 into a PS3(or any other type of BD player with the built in decoding) or to put that money into the "NEW" receiver?

Thanx in advance

·
Registered
357 Posts
If you just upgrade the receiver, it sounds like you won't have a source to get the benefit of the lossless CODECs anyway. So you can get the PS3 now, and save up to do the receiver upgrade later. By that time, maybe there "RX-V665" will be out and you'll get even more features for the same price.

With the PS3, you still won't get lossless sound right now since lossless can't be transmitted over optical or coax and PS3 doesn't have multi-channel analog outs to plug into your 5590. But you'll still get Dolby Digital + which will be a step up from normal Dolby Digital. And you'll get BD playback and gaming options if you're into that.

I think the new lossless CODECs sound great, but how much it matters to you will depend upon your listening volume, quality of speakers, etc. Definitely nice to have, but if you have to pick one or the other, I'd personally get the PS3 first.

·
Registered
521 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eitakura /forum/post/14187573

I'd personally get the PS3 first.

+1

but soon after I saw the difference between SD and BD I had to upgrade to an AVR the supported lossless codecs and HDMI

1 - 5 of 5 Posts