AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well its down to one of these two receivers but I am not just sure yet where I should place my money. The Yamaha at retail is about $200 over the Pioneer so you would figure the Yamaha as a superior performing receiver. You might ask why I would compare one receiver with one much more expensive but here is the scoop. I am purchasing one of these receivers off Futureshop.ca because I have a promotional certificate worth $200 and both receivers are on the Futureshop site. The Pioneer receiver is listed on Futureshop at $384.99 and the Yamaha is on sale for $399.99. The discount for the sale on the Yamaha is $200 plus my $200 certificate brings the $600 receiver down to $200 (niiice!
). When I apply the certificate to the Pioneer both receivers equal to about the same amount. Now what I want to know is which receiver is the better performer (sound quality)? From what I can tell I should jump on the Yamaha in a split second, however it is still possible that the Pioneer has better performance and that is what it comes down to. Which of these receivers has the better performance? The features on both fulfill my needs so I do not need to compare that aspect. The Pioneer has auto setup but I am going to manually set up anyways, no matter which receiver I get so that doesn't matter. I just want to know from a performance perspective which receiver gets more love. Anyone?

·
Registered
2,243 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukon Trooper /forum/post/0

Well its down to one of these two receivers but I am not just sure yet where I should place my money. The Yamaha at retail is about $200 over the Pioneer so you would figure the Yamaha as a superior performing receiver. You might ask why I would compare one receiver with one much more expensive but here is the scoop. I am purchasing one of these receivers off Futureshop.ca because I have a promotional certificate worth $200 and both receivers are on the Futureshop site. The Pioneer receiver is listed on Futureshop at $384.99 and the Yamaha is on sale for $399.99. The discount for the sale on the Yamaha is $200 plus my $200 certificate brings the $600 receiver down to $200 (niiice!
). When I apply the certificate to the Pioneer both receivers equal to about the same amount. Now what I want to know is which receiver is the better performer (sound quality)? From what I can tell I should jump on the Yamaha in a split second, however it is still possible that the Pioneer has better performance and that is what it comes down to. Which of these receivers has the better performance? The features on both fulfill my needs so I do not need to compare that aspect. The Pioneer has auto setup but I am going to manually set up anyways, no matter which receiver I get so that doesn't matter. I just want to know from a performance perspective which receiver gets more love. Anyone?

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=789085

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The following is an email I received from Kevan at Sonicboomaudio:
Quote:
We've tested nearly every amp under the sun with these packages and in my opinion the Yammo will smoke! The others are comparable but if it was my system and my choice, I'd be going with the Yamaha, deal or no deal. The fact that you can save that coin really closes it for me though. Not nuts about Pioneer home-audio gear to be honest. I used to retail their stuff and I saw a lot of it come back for one reason or another. As far as the Denon and Onkyo's go, well they're all great receivers, but you wont find that they'll out perform the Yamaha in any way.

That seals the deal for me!

·
Registered
6,468 Posts
True, truth is they are both good receivers at their price point. I to prefer the yamaha but I've demoed the 816 and sounded good, just not to my personal taste. If you're looking for a feature packed receiver at the price nothing will beat the 816, auto setup, eq for each speaker, two custom user programmable eqs you can save and switch between along with the mcacc eq, osd for setup menu and a pretty nice remote you can probgram to work with most equipment (although it's not a learning remote) but you shouldn't expect one at this price.

The 5950 has more DSP modes which yammy is famious for and imo the sound quality is more to my liking. The only way for anyone to know which they prefer is to go check each out. you can find them both at best buy and give them a look and listen. Othewise you'll just be getting "I like this one better".

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Othewise you'll just be getting "I like this one better".

Actually everyone I have talked to said get the Yamaha including Ascend, SVS, Oppo, you and the list goes on. That helped a lot with the decision plus there are other reasons I like the Yamaha. Its on sale for $200 off, I have a $200 promotional certificate I received from work, and there is an open box unit which is another $30 off. Thats $170 for a $600 receiver and I think I would be foolish to not jump on the opportunity. A lot have said that when working in stores people have brought lots of Pioneers back for one reason or another and I like the Yammy's 2 year warranty over the Pioneer's 1. Oh, and that Ipod dock for the receiver is bang on for my nano. And bottom line shouldn't a receiver thats $200 more than another be better anyways? Cheers guys!

·
Registered
6,468 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukon Trooper /forum/post/0

Actually everyone I have talked to said get the Yamaha including Ascend, SVS, Oppo, you and the list goes on. That helped a lot with the decision plus there are other reasons I like the Yamaha. Its on sale for $200 off, I have a $200 promotional certificate I received from work, and there is an open box unit which is another $30 off. Thats $170 for a $600 receiver and I think I would be foolish to not jump on the opportunity. A lot have said that when working in stores people have brought lots of Pioneers back for one reason or another and I like the Yammy's 2 year warranty over the Pioneer's 1. Oh, and that Ipod dock for the receiver is bang on for my nano. And bottom line shouldn't a receiver thats $200 more than another be better anyways? Cheers guys!

IMO you made the right choice. I don't see the Pio having that bad of a reliability rating though, from my experence with them they have been as reliable as anything else. However I do prefer both Onkyos and Yamaha sound over them.

Actually the 5950 isn't a $600 reciever isn't s $400 MSRP but that's still and excellent price.

on and "shouldn't a receiver that's $200 more than another be better anyway"?

Yeah you would think so but that's not necessaraly so in alot of cases.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Actually the 5950 isn't a $600 reciever isn't s $400 MSRP but that's still and excellent price.

Suggested retail from Yamaha's site in US dollars is $449.95. Remember I'm working in Canadian dollars and the $599.99 price tag is coming from Futureshop.ca. Anyways I just made the purchase today and am looking very forward to using it!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.