AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought this receiver a few years ago. Have it set up with Klipsch Synergy F2 Floor standing speakers (fronts) and a Klipsch Synergy C2 center channel. Display is a Mitsu 52631. I'm pretty much a newbie when it comes to this stuff but I have lurking on this forum for quite a while. Here are some questions I have.

- Would a new receiver like a yammy 765 sound that much better-I do like watching concert DVDs and bluerays? Just wondering if it is worth buying a new avr (the 765).

- This receiver does not have HDMI. I just purchased a Sony BR - BD 560 model. Is there a big difference in sound (hdmi vs component digital) when playing BR discs? Is there a way of getting HDMI audio?

- I cannot add back or surround speakers. Would a subwoofer be advisable? If so, which one ? Do not want to spend more than $250.

Any advices here would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Kinda of surprised there were no responses here. Is this post in the wrong forum?

Again, any advices here would be most appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
908 Posts
I have/had the RX-V659. It was/is a very good receiver. The 2 major factors missing that the newer receivers have is hdmi and the newer audio formats...Dolby and DTS HD... Whether you need them is subjective.

I did not think I would miss anything but wanted a new receiver for the hdmi and the audio formats...I also wanted a Pioneer Elite just because...

When I replaced the 659 with my new Pio 21 I was very surprised how much I enjoy the new audio formats. I also like the clutter reduction with the hdmi connections.

You will lose a lot of the new receiver's capabilities if you are only able to use 2 front speakers so I would not bother replacing the 5950 considering your use.

Whether you add a sub is up to you. Do your current speakers go deep enough? Are they tight or muddy sounding? A sub may be a big improvement especially for movies, etc. but perhaps not so for music...depends on how your speakers sound and what you want. I'm not sure you're going to get a ton of subwoofer for $250 but if you buy a Klipsch at BB and don't like it you can easily return it.

Your 5950 will do a good job and as long as you are satisfied enjoy it but when you want/need to replace it I think you will be pleasantly surprised by the newer receivers.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Kai,

I appreciate the response. Are there any subs you would recommend if I upped my budget a bit?

Thanks,

·
Registered
908 Posts
Not in particular.

I do suggest going to your local shops and listening to some units to see exactly what you can get for your budget or around your budget. I'd suspect to get a "decent" sub you are going to have to spend around $400.

I paid $400 for my Paradigm PDR-12 3 or 4 years ago. It is a "decent" sub and serves my needs very well but it is not in the same league as many others our forum members have in their systems.

·
Registered
908 Posts
Thanks...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts