AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i've gotten my ps3 hooked up to the htr-6030 through an optical cable, with the video coming from the ps3 through hdmi. i researched and have the ps3's audio output settings as optical and bitstream, and have been able to get 5.1 audio from the ps3 on most blu-ray discs.

here's the thing, some blu ray movies only come with one audio track of uncompressed pcm DTS-HD or something like that (wall-e being one example). I was under the impression that the ps3 would send this audio to the receiver as plain DTS, and I would be able to get 5.1 sound that way. Unfortunately, when I play these movies, the receiver is only getting 2 channel sound. I can expand this using pro logic or neural decoding, but i was really hoping for the full 5.1 track.

are there any funky settings on the ps3 or receiver i'm missing that will let me get the full audio, or am i going to have to just deal with 2-channel sound from the ps3 for those movies?

if i'm leaving out any information let me know, i think i covered everything. thanks guys.

·
Registered
1,753 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb32 /forum/post/15534740

so i've gotten my ps3 hooked up to the htr-6030 through an optical cable, with the video coming from the ps3 through hdmi. i researched and have the ps3's audio output settings as optical and bitstream, and have been able to get 5.1 audio from the ps3 on most blu-ray discs.

here's the thing, some blu ray movies only come with one audio track of uncompressed pcm DTS-HD or something like that (wall-e being one example). I was under the impression that the ps3 would send this audio to the receiver as plain DTS, and I would be able to get 5.1 sound that way. Unfortunately, when I play these movies, the receiver is only getting 2 channel sound. I can expand this using pro logic or neural decoding, but i was really hoping for the full 5.1 track.

are there any funky settings on the ps3 or receiver i'm missing that will let me get the full audio, or am i going to have to just deal with 2-channel sound from the ps3 for those movies?

if i'm leaving out any information let me know, i think i covered everything. thanks guys.

I am trying to watch Wall E right now and having the same exact problem with my Panasonic PT760, it's pissing me off.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1108817

·
Registered
19,239 Posts
^^^ it is a 5 year old post
FWIW, Wall-E played just fine on my Panasonic Blu-ray player.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Check your multi out settings in the PS3. If you enable HDMI and optical sound output, it will only output 2 channel to optical under some settings. You have to set it so HDMI only gets 2 channel. Can't get surround outputs on both at the same time with the PS3.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts