AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i've gotten my ps3 hooked up to the htr-6030 through an optical cable, with the video coming from the ps3 through hdmi. i researched and have the ps3's audio output settings as optical and bitstream, and have been able to get 5.1 audio from the ps3 on most blu-ray discs.

here's the thing, some blu ray movies only come with one audio track of uncompressed pcm DTS-HD or something like that (wall-e being one example). I was under the impression that the ps3 would send this audio to the receiver as plain DTS, and I would be able to get 5.1 sound that way. Unfortunately, when I play these movies, the receiver is only getting 2 channel sound. I can expand this using pro logic or neural decoding, but i was really hoping for the full 5.1 track.

are there any funky settings on the ps3 or receiver i'm missing that will let me get the full audio, or am i going to have to just deal with 2-channel sound from the ps3 for those movies?

if i'm leaving out any information let me know, i think i covered everything. thanks guys.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Ensure in the sound options that 'DTS' is checked for optical. Playing back the DTS-HD blu-ray. Press 'select' to bring up the audio/video info. It should say etiher 'DTS-HD' or 'DTS' If it's DTS-HD, you'll need to press 'triangle', choose sound and switch it to 'bitstream' Now when you press 'select' it should say 'DTS' and your receiver will get the DTS bitstream.

Also turn off any DSP or additional processing on your Yamaha. It should be set to 'standard' or 'straight'

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thank you, that did it. i knew there was a reason it was working for dolby digital hd and not dts hd. i didn't realize i hadn't checked that box. thanks again.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts