AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right now I am using the Yamaha HTR-6160, but I am considering picking up an AVR-790 to replace it. The main features on the Denon that have me considering making the switch are the additional HDMI inputs (the Yamaha only has 2) and the Audyssey support (MultiEQ and Dynamic Volume).

I am moving into a new house (first non-rental) and I want to hook everything up and be able to not have to worry about redoing my equipment for a while. For the foreseeable future the receiver will only be used in a 2.1 setup.

The Yamaha would probably end up in the closet for a while and maybe find new life in a basic 5.1 setup in a spare bedroom at some point.

So is the "upgrade" worth it? Are there better options in a similar price range? Or if I want the Audyssey support should I just go out and get a Denon AVR-590?

Thanks.

·
Registered
29,191 Posts
How big is the room? What speakers do you currently have? What devices are you connecting to the receiver. I'm assuming your price range is $400-500?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The entire (small) downstairs is all one room, but the living area is ~15'x20'. I am connecting an Xbox360, Cable Box, and a BluRay player. Speakers a Rocket RS450's.

·
Registered
29,191 Posts
Nice speakers!

Not sure how much of an upgrade this will be sonically by switching receivers. What dont you like about your current receiver besides not enough HDMI inputs?

Yamaha has YPAO room calibration software. Not sure how much different it is from Audyssey. I bet soundwise this is a lateral move between the Yamaha and Denons.

I actually like the fact your Yamaha has 7.1 preouts so you could add an external amp if you wish. Adding an amp would make a bigger difference than swapping receivers.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt /forum/post/18227372

Nice speakers!

Not sure how much of an upgrade this will be sonically by switching receivers. What dont you like about your current receiver besides not enough HDMI inputs?

Yamaha has YPAO room calibration software. Not sure how much different it is from Audyssey. I bet soundwise this is a lateral move between the Yamaha and Denons.

I actually like the fact your Yamaha has 7.1 preouts so you could add an external amp if you wish. Adding an amp would make a bigger difference than swapping receivers.

Thanks, I've had the speakers a while and still love them, just wish the center channel was small enough to fit under my TV.

I don't remember not liking anything about my Yamaha. It's been in storage since we started construction on the house. I guess I wanted to protect my equipment from a need for an upgrade for a while, but it sounds like the Denon is a lateral move.

I hadn't considered an amp...I am not even sure where I'd start with that.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts