AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm about to pull the trigger on purchasing a Yamaha LPX-500 from a vendor via ********** from overseas but am still considering if an NEC H1000 might still be a good option and would appreciate opinions.

My requirements are:

1. Almost 70%+ for DVD viewing, maybe 10% console via component out and the rest for the occasional HD programming (TV % to increase tremendously if TiVo goes HD)

2. I can fully control light in this dedicated HT room though I'd prefer not to have it SUPER black/controlled for the occasional football if possible

3. The room is 16ft deep X 22 ft. wide with 9.5 ft ceilings

4. Video cabling and power in ceiling have already been installed ~12.5 ft distance to a screen

5. Would like to have a 16:9 105-110" screen but have some off-axis seating so Firehawk is out. (Will initially test on 110" DIY Parkland)

6. Plan to feed DVD/HDTV OTA video via HTPC with DVI out from ATI card

After much research in this forum, some in the 'dalmation forum' and having seen the LPX-500 first hand at Tweeters recently, I'm almost ready to just buy the LPX-500. Given the ~$1800-2300 differential in price in US vs. from Japan, I'm willing to risk the Japan only warranty and soak that into a new audio receiver (Denon 3803) instead.

7. Spending as little for the projector as possible w/ larger bang for buck in PQ (common goal). Budget for PJ is

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
You said it all by yourself. :D

I was following a very similar line of thoughts when I encountered the very good price of the Yamaha when I was in Tokyo, which I ended up with picking up. I had seen the HT1000 in action in a local HT store in Dallas, and knew that its picture quality was as good as the Mustang projectors (except for the pixel resolution). But I felt that I could not risk the small possibility of exposing my friends/guests to the rainbows/headaches.

At any rate, if you feel that the blacks/shadows of the Yamaha is good enough for you to fully enjoy the movie, go for it. The latest DLP projectors certainly have a better blacks/shadow details that are quite obvious in side-by-side comparisons. But the difference is by no means "dramatic" -- even the HT1000 and the Mustangs all exhibit non-perfect blacks. It is certainly darker than LCD projectors, but still "gray" as compared with, say, CRT.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Figures I would get a reply from the very person who gave a good bulk of info I am basing my purchase- Thanks again Sushi.

I should apologize for such a long post. All of this information is availalbe through multiple long threads but I wanted to post this info to both solidify my purchase decision as well as hopefully provide a good amount of tangible data for someone else considering the same options.

Any other repsonses would be much appreciated. The LPX-500 seems to be a much more rare beast owned in this community which makes me a tad apprehensive but the personal experience and data seems to be pointing heavily to the Yamaha especially if 'rainbow headaches' have any weight as a deal breaker.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I selected Yamaha LPX-500 after checking Z1, HS10, PLV-70, HT1000.

Yamaha's colors except blacks were better than HT1000.

With HTPC, DVI and 1:1 pixel mapping you'll get the best PQ.

Tapani

·
Registered
52 Posts
I'm also in the same boat

It would make my decision alot easier if anyone told me that the LPX s DVI was HDCP complient........

·
Registered
334 Posts
You might also want to consider the Epson TW100, it's LCD and has a 1280x720 resolution so you won't lose any pixels when watching in 16:9. That's one thing I found out about the NEC, it drops vertical pixels in 16:9 format so it's real vertical resolution in 16:9 is 576, no much better than the AE300.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Quote:
That's one thing I found out about the NEC, it drops vertical pixels in 16:9 format so it's real vertical resolution in 16:9 is 576, no much better than the AE300.
Yes, but it is a lot more convenient for PC use, and if you want 16:9 without wasting pixels, there is always the panamorph.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.