AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm about to pull the trigger on purchasing a Yamaha LPX-500 from a vendor via ********** from overseas but am still considering if an NEC H1000 might still be a good option and would appreciate opinions. I'm including this in the >$5000 forum since the H1000 has been in this area until recently and even the MSRP of the Yamaha is above that water mark.

My requirements are:

1. Almost 70%+ for DVD viewing, maybe 10% console via component out and the rest for the occasional HD programming (TV % to increase tremendously if TiVo goes HD)

2. I can fully control light in this dedicated HT room though I'd prefer not to have it SUPER black/controlled for the occasional football if possible

3. The room is 16ft deep X 22 ft. wide with 9.5 ft ceilings

4. Video cabling and power in ceiling have already been installed ~12.5 ft distance to a screen

5. Would like to have a 16:9 105-110" screen but have some off-axis seating so Firehawk is out. (Will initially test on 110" DIY Parkland)

6. Plan to feed DVD/HDTV OTA video via HTPC with DVI out from ATI card

After much research in this forum, some in the 'dalmation forum' and having seen the LPX-500 first hand at Tweeters recently, I'm almost ready to just buy the LPX-500. Given the ~$1800-2300 differential in price in US vs. from Japan, I'm willing to risk the Japan only warranty and soak that into a new audio receiver (Denon 3803) instead.

7. Spending as little for the projector as possible w/ larger bang for buck in PQ (common goal). Budget for PJ is

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
I can't speak to the NEC but I do have an LPX-500 and am very pleased. I too have a room about 16x22 without any windows. I project on to a diy parkland screen that I am super happy with. I've gotten Stewart samples and compared and I wouldn't waste my money. Screen size is 92".

Blacks are 80-90% black and very acceptable. I watched the final four and soon will watch NBA finals in HD and it is amazing. Everyone that sees HD on this thing is floored. And speaking of floored I recommend some low level floor light. I'm not sure if any projector can handle much room light.

As for DVD I have a Philips Q50, Philips DVDR985 and an HTPC. I've worked endless hours tweaking the HTPC and spending $$ and frankly I can't see any significant difference. I'm using ATI 9000, TheaterTek player with tweaks, DVDIdle, blah blah.

I would recommend buying the V Inc., Bravo D1 if your want DVD excellence. I don't have mine yet but based on the feedback in the forums (link below) here I'm sold.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=249247

My HTPC is not wasted though. I'm using SnapStream beta version 3.12 and it is the closest thing to Tivo yet.

Back to the projector.. I'm using mine in about the proportions you describe. DVD viewing currently via component and very happy. Viewing in a dark room far better simulates the NTSC experience thus creating pictures/screens as intended. The Yamaha renders very accurate images. As for screendoor it is only noticeable at our viewing distance on a very few certain types of screens. It is not a problem for me. Adjustments are considerable for brightness, contrast, etc. I did the Avia video tweak dvd and only adjusted the picture barely from the shipping defaults.

Advice - unless you have the htpc or love to tweak don't bother with it, buy the Bravo. Your screen size might be too large for your room and if your doing a Parkland it might be unruly to work with in 5x10 (4x8 was difficult enough). If you want I can post some pics. If your planning on doing HD via a pc it will work, but as with most of these choices it is a question of tweaking or not. I have the Zenith SAT-520 and am very pleased. OTA and Directv HD look great. I feed the LPX-500 from the Zenith, DVI from HTPC (will be from Bravo D1), S-Video from SVHS.

If your interested I'll PM you the domestic supplier I bought the LPX from. I was happy with the price and delivery.

And most important of all, my toughest customer, my wife, is very very happy. The family has now adopted "Friday Night at the Movies".

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Meant to say, "I feed the LPX-500 VGA from my Zenith Sat-520.

-kraig

·
Banned
6,051 Posts
I was able to compare the two units at CEs and I think that the NEC is still a better projector. I think however, I personally like the look of a DLP over a LCD projector. The only bad think you can say about the NEC is its weird offset. So for example, on a 45x80 screen, the top of the lens must be 19 inches above the top of the screen. As the screen gets bigger so does the distance. There are ways around this, but none of the solutions are perfect

I am personally very sensitive to rainbows and can seem them in all past and current models including the NEC, but the new color wheels has really diminished the amount of rainbows one might see

·
Registered
12,976 Posts
Reviews are helpful and you can't beat the reviews the HT1000 received.

Home Theater Magazine -

" This is by far the best DLP projector we've reviewed to date."

DLP blacks are the best but the NEC has a bright picture also whichs makes for super contrast. You have to get out there and take a look.

As a HT1000 owner I really don't need to see anymore projectors. :)

·
Registered
3,534 Posts
The HT1000 is a fantastic projector. I used to have one. Only issues were rainbows (I'm super-sensitive) and major eyestrain from one of my frequent guests. There were also some quality control issues, but that wasn't a significant factor in returning it.

Whatever you do, make sure you can be covered under warranty!

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
From what I read the HT1000 is a great projector. The factors that swayed me toward the LPX-500 were:

16x9 native

Faroudja processing

1280x720 or 1280x1024 resolutions

No rainbows

No offset issues

-kraig

·
Registered
79 Posts
I have seen the LPX500 not the NEC 1000. But I can say the Yamaha looks great. Smooth image, great color, good contrast. If you are bothered by rainbows like me, the LPX500 is a great choice. You also mentioned you will be watching movies in wide screen most of the time. The LPX500 is a native 720P as you know. The NEC 1000 is 4X3.

The world of front and rear projectors are moving to 16X9 or 720P native or higher formates.

That is my answer hoped this helped!

Ross

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have seen both projectors. It is a bit of a trade off. The Yamaha is definitely brighter but I was bothered by the artifacts that it exhibited - I noticed quite a bit of noise ( could be the dreaded screen door.). The HT-1000 on the other hand, had a much more elegant picture , but it was not as bright.

I did not wind up with either projector, and am still searching.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2,705 Posts
I've seen the NEC back in Feb. 03. It was ceiling mount and projected to a ??? screen at about 10-12 ft away, a 4:3 screen. The movies were GoldMember, Dark City, and others. The black was very nice in Dark City during the opeing sequence where JC was singing in the smoke filled lounge. Goldmember's color was great, comparing to my AE100, an LCD model. There was very little screen door to speak of, even at 5 ft away. I'm not susceptilbe to rainbow, but there were a few. They do not bother me. I've not seen a Yamaha. Given the trade-off between LCD and DLP in contrast, I would have love the NEC had it been WXGA.

So I'm still looking for an AE400? or a 16:9 projector with HDCP; the SONY HS-10 was too noisy for my taste, and can't get them anyway. LCD is a bit cheaper due to an older technology, and fits my budget better.

lenny

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.