AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got offered a truly insane price on an in-stock Yamaha LPX-500. Far cheaper than I ever expected to see it for.

Assuming that the price is not a concern.. Should I grab this, or hold out for the Sony HS10? I have a little over an hour to decide.

The Yamaha has superior scaling, is quieter, has better DVI support, and better contrast.

The Sony has more resolution.. enough to display 1024x768, which the Yamaha cannot do.

Opinions?

I have total light control, and a ~106" diagonal 16:9 Da-Lite High Contrast screen.

·
Premium Member
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also; the only Yamaha review I've read here talked about fixed-pattern noise, whereas none of the Sony HS10 reviewers have noticed it. I'm not sure how large a concern this is.

·
Premium Member
16,963 Posts
Have a look at both and make sure you are covered by warranty and a return policy. Choose which technology you like best not what someone

else likes best.

People cant make up your mind for you.

Everyone has different taste try to see both DLP and LCD.

If you can only see one and you like the picture I would buy it. Better than taking a chance one something you have not seen.

·
Premium Member
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry, maybe I wasn't clear.. These are both 720p-capable 16:9 LCD projectors with roughly 800 lumens, and similar contrast ratios.

I've seen the Yamaha in action, and I was impressed. The choice is between an insane deal on the Yamaha, or waiting and buying the Sony sight-unseen.

Both projectors would have full warranty coverage, etc, etc, though I believe the Yamaha's warranty terms are better.

·
Premium Member
16,963 Posts
You may want to post this to the sub 5k forum you will get a quick answer.

Im not up on lcd projectors but I think the Sony has MLA technology so you cannot see the pixel structure as much. I could be wrong.

·
Premium Member
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Too late. I bought the Yamaha. :)

Before I did, I got to play with it on a 92" screen in one of the vendor's theaters. The screen door is very unobtrusive, and the image is excellent. I look forward to burning out my eyes with it this weekend.

The Faroudja DCDi and the fact that using the DVI port doesn't require Powerstrip sold me on it. The extra contrast never hurt anyone either. Heh.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.