Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I've Yamaha LPX-500 projector and now I'm using it with HTPC and it works wonderfully via DVI in it's native 1280*720 mode.

Bravo D1 (or Samsung 931, Marantz 8400, Medidian 800 ...) are new generation players which have DVI/HDCP connection and they will scale to 720p.

Is my projector simply out of date?

Is there any way to get 720p signal into Yamaha from new players DVI connection?

Tapani

·
Registered
58 Posts
Hi,

The Sound & Vision review stated that their Yamaha LPX-500 was able to receive 720P from the Bravo.

The Yamaha from what I understand is NOT HDCP compliant, however this player will reportedly send 720p or higher to HDCP/DVI inputs if you read through the Bravo thread on this forum.

I myself am about to order the LPX-500 to replace my Sony HS10.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
tueng,

my projectors changed from Z1 to HS10 and finally to lpx-500.

Yamaha's colors and blacks were simply better.

It's difficult to understand why Yamaha's DVI is not HDCP compatible.

Tapani

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thomas,

I use 60Hz refresh rate.

If I set with Powerstip to 72Hz then the screen is splitted into two parts vertically ... it's a mystery, what happens.

Tapani

·
Registered
58 Posts
Tapani,

As a previous owner of an HS10 I'd like to know your impressions of the LPX-500 vs HS10 (in terms of brightness, black level, colors, screen-door) as I myself am about to get one solely based on reviews. Was it a subtle or significant difference in PQ?

Do you think it was well worth it for the picture while giving up the HDCP/DVI on the hs10? (damn, it would be so easy if the Yamaha had HDCP, unfortunately only the $10000 DPX-1000 has it). Fortunately, I believe the Bravo D1 may be good simple DVI alternative for now instead of the HTPC route.

Thanx,

-Tueng

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Tueng,

yes, there was a significant difference in the PQ between Sony and Yamaha, IMO.

Out-of-box, Yamaha's _natural_ colors impressed me so much, so I was sold. BTW, Yamaha's colors were more natural than colors in HT1000, which was also in a comparison.

Yamaha's black were clearly better than blacks in Sony, I see more details in dark scenes. HT1000 blacks were in a class of own.

One thing, where Sony was better, was the screendoor effect, but the difference is subtle. At a distance of 2*screen wide I don't see any screendor in Yamaha's picture.

The noise was about same, when Sony was in the ECO-mode.

For me it was difficult to make a selection between NEC and Yamaha. Important thing was the zoom, Yamaha suited better in my room's distances.

I love Yamaha's natural colors!

Tapani

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.