AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone own or has been able to audition this LCD projector? Its a 1280x720, 16x9 unit rated at 800 lumens with an 800:1 CR

I can get an extremely good deal on one of these (new), but I wonder how it compares to a Matterhorn or Mustang based DLP unit? I plan on using whatever I get on a 100" diagonal screen in a light controlled environment, witha mix of DVD and HD source material.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

http://www.yamaha.com/yec/products/video/LPX500.htm

·
Registered
376 Posts
GlennBerry,

I auditioned one at the Tweeter in Wimington, Delaware. I would have purchased it on the spot but the $5,500 price was too high. I considered getting the Epson TW100H (clone of the Yamaha) but it was about that time that they took the TW100 off the market. I then decided to wait until after the CEDIA show to see what shakes out. I'm currently leaning towards the Sony VPL-HS20.

I thought the Yamaha had a great picture, very watchable. No noticeable screendoor from 1.8 screen width seating distance. However, as with most LCD's I did notice the FPN (most noticeable during panning shots, particulalry with light colors, i.e. sky shots). Whether it is objectionable or not is an individual choice. The contrast, although not as good as the best DLP's, was very watchable in my opinion. Colors were bright and accurate. However, I do find it difficult to compare these devices when they are miles apart and weeks between viewing.

The only other negative for me was the lack of HDCP for future connectivity to HDCP protected sources. How much this is a problem is another personal decision.

-Gary.

·
Registered
23,188 Posts
Glenn,

I think it would have to be a very good deal to beat the (soon) Sony HS20 with an MSRP of $3500. That one looks like a step up in pretty much every way from the TW100/LPX-500 to me. The AE500 probably even beats the LPX-500 (will have a better idea when I get mine in a couple of weeks).

I thought the HS20 looked great for the price at CEDIA. I still preferred the 1280x720 DLPs, but that is personal taste.

--Darin

·
Registered
11 Posts
Just purchased the yamaha about two weeks ago.

I am using a goosystems 110" wide screen. I have the projector about 15 feet from the wall.

So far I am really happy with my decission to go with Yamaha. I was considering the latest DLP NEC but didn't like the fact that it was native 4:3.

And I got a really good price on the Yamaha.

You won't be sorry

Chris

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Gary,

Thanks for the quick reply! I know that WideScreen Review pretty much gushed over this unit in their March 2003 issue.

I am leaning pretty heavily towards an HD2 Mustang DLP unit, with the BenQ 8700 being the front-runner. Still, I could get the LPX-500 and a Stewart 100" screen for about the same price as the BenQ.

Luckily, I have found a local retailer that has the LPX-500 on display, so I am going to check it out at lunch tommorrow. I'll report back with my impressions.

·
Registered
23,188 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by GlennBerry
Still, I could get the LPX-500 and a Stewart 100" screen for about the same price as the BenQ.
That definitely does not sound like a good deal to me compared to the new offerings (HS20 and AE500). Comparing to the BenQ is a different story because the extra money is worth different amounts to everybody, but in the LPX-500 you are talking about a projector that is from the last class and not too far from the end of its run.

I borrowed a TW100 for a night and I don't think it was that close to my Sharp 10k. This wasn't the newer H model, though. The person that had the TW100 returned it since the AE300 performance was so close and it was a lot less money. The AE500 looks like it will be a big step up from the AE300.

The BenQ looks like a good option to me if you like the DLP look.

You also might want to check with the AVScience guys here (support the forum :)) for prices. I know they carry the Stewart screens and their prices look very good to me.

--Darin

·
Registered
368 Posts
The Yamaha is my personal LCD favourite. Under the conditions I saw it, it rendered the most accurate colours I have yet seen from an LCD projector. With my HTPC it looked phenomenal... even the other guys in the shop started querying on whether it was a "normal DVD" playing

But of course it is a little outdated and the new breed (Panasonic 500 and Snayo Z2) look very strong indeed, and for much less cash. And of course the image you can get from the Yamaha is still very far in contrast terms from what you can get for a similarly priced DLP.

·
Registered
794 Posts
The LPX500 was the first FP I ever owened. It did quite well for colors and brightness on a 92" Firehwak (DVI input to be used with a Bravo D1 only). . The only problem was the slight presence of vertical banding visible during light scenes (like foggy outdoor shots...do research on this forum). I upgraded to the Infocus 7200 which was much brighter (I really did not need the extra lumens) but had no screen door effect or banding. The LPX 500 was much quieter than the 7200. If you are planning to sit more than 12.5 feet away from the screen and you can get the LPX500 at the street price of the BenQ - $1000, I'd say you should check it out, but than again in that price there is the NEC HT1000, Sanyo PLV70, Sony LCD products, etc... Good luck, it is not an easy decision. Do a lot of reading in this forum.

P.S. This is the most informative site I have found to date for side to side comparison of these type of projectors... www.htprojectors.com

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Glenn,

these are some measures in calibrated conditions for the Yamaha LPX-500 contained in the article I wrote some time ago for HTProjoectors

http://www.htprojectors.com/htprojec...1ø giugno.jpg

and here there are some final conclusions:

Quote:

Conclusions

I have said many times that I have noticed and acknowledged many great progresses in this technology during the last two years. And I would not have believed in many of them, if I hadn't seen them. My opinion passed from a total denial of LCDs, through an acceptable solution for home cinema, to a "safe" position of possible acceptance. This, of course, because we can have different opinions. Not everybody is bound to have my same tastes. And because these machines' performances are now more balanced.

And this is particularly true in the case of this Yamaha. It has been designed with HT enthusiasts as its target, and it shows. It is well built and not at all noisy. It features many software regulations that allow for a wide exploitation of its possibilities. It features an excellent chromatic balance. Its matrix is ready of high definition. Its overall rendering is pleasant. In some scenes, it actually manages to surprise you, exceeding my personal expectations and reproducing a pleasant picture, gifted with some very good reproduction characteristics. These are its positive points.

On the down side, it does not feature an acceptable black, worthy of a cinematographic experience. Its pictures remain "digital", and cannot be considered a window on reality; they are beautiful, but not touching. Sometimes it displays a discontinuous behaviour inside the same film, which might make a vision annoying. It is an expensive machine, because it falls back into a price category where you might find some DLP models which can more closely embody the idea of home cinema. The convenience of a purchase is always a relative value: do take a look at this machine, if you are a supporter of LCD technology: you will be very pleased. And take a look at it also if, like me, you are not a supporter of it: you will understand why DLP and CRT in particular are still far away...
Hope this can be of some help! ;)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, I auditioned the LPX-500 at the Big Picture on University in Denver today. It was in a very dark room, shooting against a 110" Stewart Firehawk using component video (not DVI). I also was able to switch to a Sharp 10K DLP to make some comparisions under similiar conditions

I watched some HD material (off of DISH), and part of U-571 from a DVD played on a Pioneer Elite DV-47Ai. I had less than an hour to watch in total, so these are rather brief impressions...

Unfortunately, I was a little disappointed in the Yamaha. Even at a viewing distance of 14-16 feet (which is about where my 2nd row of seats will be), screendoor seemed pretty noticeable to me. The Yamaha was very bright, even with the room lights turned on. It was also extremely quiet (significantly quieter than the Sharp). I'm not sure that the Yamaha was calibrated correctly. The reviewer in WSR had to make some specific adjustments that he claimed made a big difference in the Yamaha.

The Sharp 10K was much more filmlike, with no SDE unless I was 5-6 feet away from the screen. Of course its not really fair to compare these two projectors. I am really leaning towards the BenQ 8700, so the Sharp was the closest equivalent I had available. I was hoping that the Yamaha would look "good enough" that I would be happy with it and be able to save about $1500 over the street price of the BenQ, but I don't think that is going to work for me.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.