AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen many of the projectors mentioned in this forum, SIM2..Runco..etc.. I would be the first to admit that they look great and would not disappoint any home theater buff. However most of the nicer DLPs hover between 8-12K. I saw the Yamaha LPX-510 at my local Tweeter this past weekend and was impressed. I know LCD has its limitations but to my untrained eye you couldn't help but be impressed with the image. Blacks were solid, no screendoor effect and contrast did not disappoint. They were showing it on a 92" Stewart screen although they couldn't tell me the model of the screen.

Anyway, I know this is totally subjective but is there really a reason to spend 10K when I could spend 5K for what I considered to be a great picture? I had them play my fave demo disks (LOTR, Monster's Inc., Fifth Element SB) and also saw Discovery HD.

I admit that I don't have the luxury of putting this next to a Runco or SIM2, but boy if I could save 5K....Quick thoughts? Thanks in advance..

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Like most things relating to technology there is a point of diminishing returns. Everyone has their own value system that determines if it is worth it to them.

FWIW, you can probably obtain the same PQ of the LPX-510 you saw at Tweeter for much less money. Check out this this review by Projector Central. BTW, Projector Central is a must read for anyone interested in projectors.

http://www.projectorcentral.com/yamaha_lpx510.htm

The Sony HS20 or HS51, Panny AE700 or Sanyo Z3 should be considered.

Good luck.

·
Registered
9,769 Posts
more like why would you buy an LPX -510 when a AE700 is = or better for 1/3 the price?

in fact I just spent about 30 seconds by clicking on on of the AVS forum sponsors and found this
http://www.projectorpoint.com/product.php?id=15629

NO brainer

·
Registered
5,001 Posts
Actually, the Epson can be had for significantly less these days as well (the Tweet folks are not known for being bargain sellers on their "high end" stuff), but the Epson is priced a hair under the Sony these days (from dealers that actually want to sell units), but the comparison is tough.

One thing to note is that Cine4Home only got a calibrated value of about 1400:1 out of the AE700, IIRC. Not much better than my Epson.. (whew!)

Later,

Bill

PS: Of course, they then popped a filter on it and got about 2000:1, but that's a different story...

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ursa,

Thanks..I too saw that review of the Epson..I thought it was funny that they would go to the trouble of trying a filter...My poor Stros..Houston is in a state of mourning...Thanks for your help...

·
Registered
5,001 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by rtindel
Thanks..I too saw that review of the Epson..I thought it was funny that they would go to the trouble of trying a filter...My poor Stros..Houston is in a state of mourning...Thanks for your help...
If you want to see the Epson live, let me know. I don't have enough hours yet for proper calibration, but I can at least give you an idea of what it can do in a real-world setting.

Later,

Bill

·
Registered
191 Posts
Oh boy I was totally set on the LPX-510 but now I don't know. I do have some "special" needs so perhaps the 510 is still best?

I have a 2:1 53x106 setup with masking. I have been zooming out and lenshifting to get rid of the black bars in 2.35:1 movies.

I have tried this with the 510 and it works fine, even with the manual lenshift it's still relatively quick and painless.

How's this going to be with the Ae700, since everything is manual.

Also, fan noise is a BIG factor for me, when the the 510 was in Cinema mode it was fine. How will the Ae700 compare, I read it's best to run it in Bright mode, will the fan be too loud?

We sit 1.5 for 2.35:1 and 1.64 for 1.85:1 movies (13 1/4 from screen).

With 510 I was able to see some screendoor on all movies, how would the Ae700 compare? It wasn't too bad with the 510 but it was there on bright images.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks! (Oh yeah, I'm upgrading from a 13HD ( Sanyo PLV-60 clone) .

Jordan "AstroCat"

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Not having seen either, I can still probably guess that the AE700 will be quieter and exhibit less screen door. These are two areas where Panny has excelled in the past and, by all reports, have improved even further with the AE700. I have an AE300 so I do have some reference of these things.

How easy regular lens shift/zoom adjustments will be should be answered by others with direct knowledge. Good luck in your quest!

-Matt

·
Registered
9,769 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
I was SERIOUSLY considering the Yamaha LPX-510 as well. The only place I can go to see front PJ systems is about an hour away and they only have a RUNCO 3 chipper and the LPX-510. My wife was satisfied with the picture on the LPX-510 but I always walked away wondering how it's picture stood up to other systems that I read about.

I went to a PJ shootout in Orlando and was stunned by the pictures shown by several of the systems. When it came down to picture vs price, the NEC HT1100 came out looking REALLY good to me. I was worried about rainbow effect, but I noticed that it wasn't really distracting for me at a distance. I do see rainbow effect when I'm closer to the screen and there is a lot of contrast and motion.

I'm not saying that you should totally walk away from the LPX-510. Just really try to see several PJ systems to get a really good comparison. My hats off to the group in Orlando that "opened my eyes"!

·
Premium Member
13,879 Posts
Tryg, I've got ZERO SD on my Epson 500 as well ;). As for noise... what noise? Is it on? It must be on because I have a picture, but you'd never know it! Not saying the 700 isn't a great projector because it is. Just that I still feel the Epson/Yammy can hold it's own when priced correctly.

·
Premium Member
25,536 Posts
"I'm not saying that you should totally walk away from the LPX-510."

I would unless power zoom/focus are of particular value and you could get it for a lot less than the Sony, which has superior contrast, and up until this point, no reports of VB (or FPN either apparently).

·
Registered
191 Posts
...but the sony is less bright and I got a 120" screen to fill in 2.35:1 mode and I've read about the screendoor with the sony.

I've been reading as much about the 700 as I can. It looks like it is less "feature rich" than the 510, plus people are talking about the VB, but the idea of NO screendoor is really appealing. I will be ceiling mounting which then brings the issues with the lensshift in to play. Man, at this point I'm less worried about the cash than I am being happy with the results.

Perhaps it would be best to try out a 700 before I buy it.

Any advice? :)

Jordan "AstroCat"

·
Premium Member
25,536 Posts
"but the sony is less bright "

Are you sure about taht? The test for the Epson/Yam in WSR (or was it TPV) showed that it had the typical several [edit] hundred L when calibrated for optimum video performance.

·
Registered
707 Posts
I have not seen the Panasonic but I would agree with madpoet

about the Epson. Here in Canada, the Panasoinc will likely be priced

at not much less than I paid for my Epson 500. In fact, at the time I bought

mine, the AE 500 was priced locally at about 85% of the cost of my Epson.

Since I wanted to buy local this was an easy decision for me. At some

point, (it may be now) the new generation LCD's will certainly exceed

the Epson/Yami with respect to bang for the buck. So even though I am

very happy with my choice, if I was looking now I would definitely

give the new Panasonic and Sony projectors a look.

Mit07,

There was quite a bit of discussion about the review that Projector

Central did on the Yamaha. To be honest, I did not find it very useful.

There was a review in WSR, I believe, that was much more detailed.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.