AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking of getting a Yamaha LPX-510 . Notice a little bit of vertical banding on it.

Is there a tweak for it?

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
The 510 is a very good projector and I mean really good. I own a panasonic 700 and consider the yamaha a step up in video nirvana. I personally have never seen banding on any 510 I have reviewed and hopefully someone on the forum can help you on this. ;)

·
Premium Member
26,161 Posts
I too own a Yamaha LPX-510 and have not had a problem with banding....though I have read past threads where some units have had problems.

I have to admit I am getting ready to sell mine after a year. Very happy with it....but have decided to test the DLP market. I do see rainbows, but I will test to see if I can live with rainbows. So I'll take a hit on the resale of the unit and jump into a higher bracket on the DLP....bonus burning a hole in my pocket.

Ron

An Update: Well to my surprise, my job was downsized today...so I guess I will keep my Yammy and not go the DLP route. The bonus now goes towards more practical items. The switch was a whim, so no big deal on my part. For every door that closes, another one opens. :)

·
Registered
202 Posts
I am not sure why it happened but after viewing the set-up of the 510 at my local Tweeter I got a splitting headache. Impossible for an LCD with no color wheel? I decided to pass just in case. BTW I have gotten no headaches from my new-to-me 8700+ even though I can catch some RBE when I turn my head quickly side-to-side.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
you should be able to pick up the LPX-510 now for a song and a dance now that is discontinued. It's a nice little projector using the Epson panels.

HOWEVER the D5 panels that will replace it are going to be much nicer. I know it's been said before, but set up properly the D5 will actually give DLP a serious run for the money. (Don't ask me how I know) :D

·
Registered
959 Posts
I own the LPX 510 along with an NEC Ht1000 dlp. The Yamaha comes close to the quality pic I get from my NEC in the black level and contrast department, but the extra res of the Yamaha makes a big difference in overall picture clarity in some cases with dvds. The Yamaha I own also does not have any banding, though I have read reports of some who have seen this problem on the 510. I can say that the Yamaha is solidly built, is loaded with top notch tweaking features, and there is absolutely zero stray light from this baby.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
I agree that D5 panel LCD will be very popular and will narrow the performance gap between LCD and DLP. Prototype models from japan are already having people talk up a storm.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blazen69
Thinking of getting a Yamaha LPX-510 . Notice a little bit of vertical banding on it.

Is there a tweak for it?
Hi Blazen69

I calibrated several projectors LPX 510. They calibrate perfectly and after ISF calibration picture is very, very good.

Vertical bands can be easy eliminated by LCD panel adjustment in user menu.

Regards

·
Premium Member
24,995 Posts
DG,

"I know it's been said before, but set up properly the D5 will actually give DLP a serious run for the money. (Don't ask me how I know)"

OK, but can you tell us if we'll know how you know by CEDIA?

Frank,

"Prototype models from japan are already having people talk up a storm."

Can you elaborate? Is this different than what's already been posted here at AVS?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Hello to all again. I work for an electronics firm that does a lot of work repairing and calibrating business projectors and we also have salesman who are part of a network subsidiary in japan. They see many new products well before the retail sales divisions in north america even hear about. Since most presentation projectors are LCD, the epson corp. with the D5 panel releases, are first introduced into the corporate market well before the general public has access to these items. Cedia is just a link in the chain from products that are already in market overseas. The buzz over there is the wide margin in performance from previous products and it is a WIDE margin from our sales team reports.

LCD is far from dead and it will be quite surprising to a lot of DLP diehards just how good future LCD products will be.

I personally am waiting for 3 chip DLP to become more affordable even though I lean towards LCD because of my suseptibility to DLP artifacts. :(

Contrast ratios with 'NO' iris tricks at over and above 6500-1 with future LCD projectors with INORGANIC production designs in the panels WILL make LCD a contender. :eek:

I would appreciate if forum members did not ask me any more details as corporate confidentiality rules didctate that employees do not discuse any products and specifications before they are 'officialy' released. I am known among my peers on this forum and some do participate on it as well. I am not into getting terminated for a breach of contract. Sorry guys. :)

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Any idea when the replacement for the yamaha will be out? I can only find demos

now and i want a new one!

·
Registered
707 Posts
blazen69,

You could also look for a new Epson 500 if you can't find the 510.

They are almost identical.

Regards

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.