AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The LPX500 is Yamaha's new LCD projector priced at 5500 MSRP.

Local retailers should be selling this at at least 10% off that. This

unit has three .87" LCD panels with 1280x720 pixels (16:9). The

stated contrast ratio is 800:1 and 800 Lumens(Ansi). The lamp is 150

watt and rated for 3000 hours.

The Yamaha LPX500 is not an exact clone of the Epson TW100H. They are

very close but there are physical differences such as inputs, case,

and from what Yamaha says, processing. Yamaha Natural Black, Linear

Color Balance("A new Yamaha technology"). How much is marketing hype,

I couldn't say. Essentially, this is a TW100H, but modified.

The LPX500 accepts six discrete inputs with separate buttons on the

remote for each. They are DVI-D, RGB(VGA D-sub 15), Component,

Composite Video, S-Video, D4(Japanese use). All standard HD

resolutions are supported including supposedly 1080p. With 1280x720 DVI-D input, a pixel perfect 16:9 image is displayed. With VGA (D-sub 15) input, there is some very minor pixel mapping error, such as print not being quite as crisp.

I set up the projector on a table top just above and behind my head with an 85" wide diagonal image onto a flat white painted wall, with a seating distance about 11 feet away. The issue of screen door seems to be the greatest concern for those of us looking into LCD projectors and yes, of course, this one has the dreaded screendoor effect. At my seating distance, screen door is not noticeable with the LPX500. At 1.5 times screen width, screen door is nearly invisible. You may or may not be able to discern a light colored screendoor pattern at that distance. During normal movie viewing you would probably not notice it at all.

What is slightly annoying is the occasional and fleeting Scan Line Noise. This shows itself on light colored moving areas. What I have seen is what looks almost like a large screendoor, a crosshatch pattern in effect. This appears fleetingly on small moving areas or objects. As I said this is an occasional occurrence and with some material nonexistent.

Fixed Pattern Noise and vertical banding is slightly perceivable with this projector, but this is probably going to be the case with all LCD units.

As to contrast and shadow detail, this unit does quite well at rendering blacks as black, and detail in dark scenes is very good. As with any projector, ambient light will wash out black to a Gray.

One might think that the light output of this projector is sub par as compared to higher lumen units. More light output will not make black blacker, in fact it may do just the opposite. The LPX500 puts out 800 Ansi lumens and it appears more than adequate for nighttime viewing. In the daytime this unit can still look good with some light control, as this projector can tolerate a fair amount of ambient light. With moderate ambient light the image is still watchable albeit not as vibrant as at night. The blacks go to dark Gray and colors lose some of their punch. Remember, I am projecting on a white wall with white surrounding walls and ceiling. Using a coated gray screen such as a Firehawk or DaLite's HCMW could do much to alleviate the issue of ambient light.

The Yamaha LPX500 uses Faroudja's DCDi Processing for scaling lesser

and higher resolutions to its native 1280x720. Deinterlacing of 480i video and film based material is just amazing. No jaggies or line twitter with, what most would agree, is probably the hardest type of signal to deinterlace and scale, analog cable. The Yamaha handles noisy, low quality signals with ease. Letterboxed cable movies such as those on TCM or AMC can be zoomed out and with noise reduction set on NR1 or NR2, you have a very watchable, artifact free 16:9 movie. Deinterlacing/scaling of 480i DVD is also excellent.

HD via Time Warner is gorgeous given the projector's resolution is less than what's transmitted. I really didn't expect it to be as good as it is being used to a 9" CRT RPTV. Contrast and especially shadow detail appears improved over DVD. Though, I think I enjoy DVD a bit more, simply because I am just awed that a DVD can look so good.

This is a very quiet projector. It sits a few feet away from me and I don't notice any sound from it unless I listen for it.

It looks to me like Yamaha has produced a fine projector that many

people will be satisfied with. Sorry I haven't used the word

"stunning" or "jaw dropping" to describe this very capable machine but

my jaw didn't drop and I stopped being stunned a long time ago.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.