AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have (at least temporarily) replaced my beloved Denon AVR-1801 with a Yamaha HTR-5850 in order to get XM radio and also move to 6 channel sound in my small living room.

After 5 years (and less options to choose from) I had my Denon sounding pretty good but need some help on the Yammie. I'm new to Pro Logic IIx sound, but from what I've read this will sound the best for turning my 5.1 Dolby Digital Music DVD's into 6 channel sound. On this model of Yamaha as well there is something called "Standard Surround" and "Enhanced Surround" in DPLIIx. Can anyone tell me what the difference is?

Also on movies does anyone know if there is an option to get rid of the Yamaha programs like "Adventure" and "Spectacle" and just have a Pro Logic II mix instead for my 5.1 encoded movies?

I realize much of this comes down to individual sound preference, but I'd like to get any expert advice you guys can give so I can try some different settings out. If I can't get things to sound better I can always spend some more bucks and upgrade from my current low level receivers, but I had good success with the Denon and it was inexpensive at the time ($500) so I was hoping for the same from the Yamaha.

Thanks in advance....

·
Registered
4,054 Posts
I have the 5790 and when I use an enhanced mode it makes the front effects speaker turn on and the back surround's amps to off ,now enhanced mode is great for speakers that are a bit too warm and it brings out even more ambient sound to the 5.1 mix. Now when you hit DPLIIx or simple dolby digital it turns off the extra enhancement modes but when you hit the button a second time it turns on the enhanced mode and they can be set independently from regular 5.1 which brings many 5.1 soundtracks to life, so the "adventure" and "spectacle modes are my personal favorites.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.