AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I hear that some people hate them, I for one love them. What are some of your guy's opinions regarding these speakers, the ns-555's, the 777's, and yamaha's high performance speakers in general. I like the clean sound - it's not as warm as some people prefer, but I think they sound amazing. They are well built, and beautiful.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Haha, I already bought them, My father has the 777's, and I went with the smaller 555's because I'm building my entertainment system in an apartment. I was just curious if other people knew about these amazing speakers (I'm sure many do). I was just curious what people might say about the amazing piano black finish, the build quality, or the sound. I haven't seen these speakers really mentioned on here, and I just wanted to share with the world my love of these speakers. I think I may have, somehow, been brainwashed by yamaha. I just want to start an informal thread on yamaha's high performance speakers. What needs to be covered about these speakers, I have no idea. I guess I was just curious why some people steer clear of them, they don't seem to be as popular as some of the other speakers, and in an attempt to better understand why, I guess I open myself up to criticism on my selection of speaker. It wont make me love my speakers any less.

·
Registered
557 Posts
I love my NS-555 fronts, including their gorgeous appearance. I have to admit I didn't do a lot of side-by-side testing. I relied mostly on previous good experience with Yamaha and the tons of great reviews of these speakers. The only speaker I've compared them to directly are my Dynaco A35's that they replace (Dynacos are now my surrounds). The Dynaco A35 is one of the most popular speakers ever made. Anyway, the NS-555s are a big jump up in clarity and definition. The overall tone is similar, both the Yamaha and the Dynaco deliver a natural, uncolored sound and they fit together well for this reason. But the NS-555, perhaps in part because of the vertical design, delivers great positioning for movies and dialog.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I'm glad to see these speakers are becoming more popular. I love mine and have been praising them on here ever since I bought them.

For someone like me who has high standards but a limited budget, they can't be beat. If they didn't exist I don't know how I could of put together as good a system as I did.

Enjoy

BTW-let us know what center channel, sub, and receiver/amp, you end up pairing it with.

·
Registered
247 Posts
... and I'll give my impressions as well.

After doing a lot of online research on various speakers that came in piano black (not too many actually, Aperions were my original primary choice but I now have a smaller budget), I decided to pick two NS-555s as a pair on Ebay for $360 shipped. I bought them as soon as the AVR I was eyeing up (Pioneer VSX-1018AH-K) dropped in price about 20%. I set everything up and was actually amazed at the (A) Quality of the finish and (B) Clarity of the sound. These speakers are bi-amplified with my receiver (2.1 setup).

Now I'm not a bass junkie, but I did expect a little more bass from these, even after playing with the EQ/Bass on my AVR. Being so impressed with these speakers I decided to go with the YST-SW215 8" sub in piano black for like $140 shipped. After hooking it up, it fills in the bottom end very well. If I turn my system up loud enough, it sounds like a movie theater.

The piano black finish is superb and matches my Samsung HL56A650 DLP HDTV in piano black very well. People wouldn't believe how little money I spent on this setup if I didn't tell them. What a bargain! I did very limited speaker shopping and from what I've heard, these don't sound as warm as some competing brands, but still sound clear, or "neutral" as they call it? I did not test high end equipment, but ignorance is bliss and this setup beats the crap out of my bookshelf TV speaker setup it replaced.

·
Registered
3 Posts

Hello all...

I just ordered a pair of Yamaha NS-555 floorstanders and their matching center NS-C444. (later thinking of buying a pair of small satelites)

I'm intrested in the SONY STR-DN840 receiver which claims to be 2x95W (6 ohms, 20 Hz – 20 kHz, THD 0.09%)

Since the NS-555 speakers have 4 drivers and not that high sensitivity of 88dB/2.83 V/1m (6 ohm) and input power nominal/maximum of 100/250W, will the SONY STR-DN840 be able to drive them properly (especialy when i complete the 5.0 spekear set), The room is about 25 sqm.

Thanks in advance for your time and reply.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I'm using the 777's for fronts with the yamaha ns-m525 for rears. The center channel is the yamaha ns-c700, and two sw 315. This blend works nicely; he timbre is fine. You'd be hard pressed to say otherwise just by listening.

I find it interesting that for some time the yamaha wave horn tweeters have been the one major item most people complain about (claiming ear fatigue on high frquency sounds) on the 555's and 777's. I can't say I've experienced ear fatigue with the 777's, ever. Maybe I have them calibrated/integrated well in my overall setup.

That said, I find it onteresting that Polk and Klipsch now are raving about there current towers which include horn tweeters. Seems to me Yamaha must have been on the right trajectory all along.

After all is said and done, your ears decide, not the reviews, right.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Grendel, the M525's were very difficult to find. I was able to find them on eBay, from two separate sources. And that was roughly 3 1/2 years ago. Even then they were at the stage of being considered speakers which had been retired by Yamaha. The 525 series were a nice line of speakers, and many people don't know about them. I do believe, however, that they were a bit overpriced even when they first came out. Get having said all this, keep your eyes open on Amazon.com, buy.com, and eBay. Those M525's will materialize at some point. Who knows I may want to sell mine at some point in the future. Meanwhile take a look at the 333's. If my memory serves me correctly they have specs that are similar to the 525's.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I use the c700 with the NS 777 (tower fronts), and the m525 for my rears. The is no audible timbre issues with the c700 and the ns 777's.

The 700 series, however, got some bad press when they came out. The claim was that the f700 and the c700 didn't not timbre balance well. Hogwash, the drivers were the same with the crossovers set to match. Unless there is a defect in the drivers, yamaha tends to timbre match all their series. And unless you have high end audio testing meters, you'd be hard pressed to tell me you can HEAR a timbre imbalance.

That said, the saovo c700 are nice for the price you are considering. I think you'll like them. But . . . the ns 777's (new) can be purchased for about the same price. And the specs are nearly identical (better in some areas than the c700). Take a look:
http://m.usa.yamaha.com/products/audio-visual/speakers/home-speaker-systems/ns-777.html

Ultimately the c700 at the price point you are considering is a good purchase. But the 777's are worth a look and audition if that's possible for you were you live.

Lastly, I thought you were looking for the m525 to match your other 525 speakers? The c700 can be used, but those are towers, not bookshelf speakers like the m525's.

Ps, yamaha's mid to higher end speakers will all sound ok together. I've spoken to their tech about this many times. And from a build, engineering, and audio specification standpoint, all 700 series combined with the 777's work well together. I can attest this is true since I've used the c700 with a 777 for 3 years. And your 525 mixed with the f700 will be ok too, they are actually very similar. Look at the specs!!!

·
Registered
786 Posts
I know this is an old thread but has anyone ever compared the 555's to the Ascend Audio CMT-340 SE's? I own the 555's along with the C-444 and 333's. Have heard a lot of good things about the Ascend's.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts