AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm looking for info on how the Sony compares to the Yamahas.

I found only good thing about the Yamahas, same for Sony, but nothing that would compare then to one another.

I can get the whole used Sony SS X70ED (SS X30ED + SSCNX 70 ED) system for 60% of the price of a new Yamaha NS 555 (NS 333 + NS 444).

The system would be used for both music and ht.

The Yamahas are ~800eur here in EU. Maybe I should be looking at other options?

Any input from you guys?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
For that kind of money I can also get Dynaudio Audience 62.

There is no way for me to test them similar environment, so I'm asking here for some comparison for people who had the chance to listen to some of these.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I don't know if you decided on the Sony's or not, but for 400€ for the whole set you can't go wrong I think. I am a bit in the same boat myself: I got an offer for a Sony SS-X90 pair today. I now have Canton Ergo 607's which I are in no way wrong (to me) but are lacking a little in the bass department. The Sony's would replace the Canton's.

I heard both the SS-X70 and SS-X90 play in an exhibition years ago (2003 if memory serves me well) and I remember I was quite impressed with what I heard then. Open, extremely detailed and solid. No booming bass but lows in abundance. Smooth is how I remember them. But that was more than 10 years ago and I don't know if I would like them as much now as I did then. What I always liked abut the Canton's (and why I bought them) is that kids and high are extremely good. Only the bass is a little 'thin'; I don't want to loose on that but would love some more bass. I wouldn't want to replace them with the Sony's (which sure are good) just to notice that I lost in the kids and highs to have some more bass (as I am sure that the Sony's will beat the Cantons in that department.)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts